stories of bike thefts? theft attempts?

leighhills1

Likes Bikes
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...-ill-boys-bike

syndicated linked this
read the FUCKING REPORT
it clearly says
The boy who stole Dylan's bike is described as about 16 years old, caucasian, tall, with short brown hair. He was wearing a light green cap with a silver NY symbol on the front.

clearly
description: yes
racist:no
info to maybe get this kid his bike back:yes
and no in the description its not racist against his skin colour, or discriminating against his choice of clothing, or discriminating against his hair colour. to the fools that think a report involving 'suspicious black person' or 'black kid acting strange' or 'white people saying they wanted to steal my bike' or 'white guy eying off my bike'
ITS A DESCRIPTION

leighhills1

Likes Bikes
it is racist
but stereotyping saves us a lot of time, and perhaps our bikes
appearing to be racist isnt of my intentions

im saying if i let him ride my bike
it wouldnt be in my shed at this moment
just coz hes black doesnt mean i wouldnt let him ride my bike
it was the fact they rocked up to the skate park without bikes or skate boards
i didnt know him
then he come up and asked to ride my bike
he was talking in a pretty threatening tone looking pretty pissed off
so i made an excuse that we were going to maccas
then i heard them say they wanted to steal our bikes
no different if they were white or black
i'd rather not let someone simply ride off with my bike and be completely helpless

D

Deleted member 18757

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...-ill-boys-bike

syndicated linked this
read the FUCKING REPORT
it clearly says
The boy who stole Dylan's bike is described as about 16 years old, caucasian, tall, with short brown hair. He was wearing a light green cap with a silver NY symbol on the front.

clearly
description: yes
racist:no
info to maybe get this kid his bike back:yes
and no in the description its not racist against his skin colour, or discriminating against his choice of clothing, or discriminating against his hair colour. to the fools that think a report involving 'suspicious black person' or 'black kid acting strange' or 'white people saying they wanted to steal my bike' or 'white guy eying off my bike'
ITS A DESCRIPTION
Please, learn to use a forum before you go posting 3 times in a row.
Edit: Maybe this forum isn't the place for you, seeing as you have 20ish posts and no one agrees or likes you as of yet.

taquar

Likes Dirt
So much hate... Just chill out dude. Firstly, use the edit button please, saves you taking up half a page of posts, and secondly, don't get all worked up over it. Not everyone is of the same opinion as you. Just cause they think differently doesn't mean you attack them with a pitchfork :rolleyes:. We can't all be perfect (except me of course...) :p

I've only had one stolen bike story, left it leaning against the wall under a friends bedroom window while I was at his place playing XBox (back in the day), came out a few hours later and it was gone. We were in the room the entire time and we never heard someone climb over the gate, grab the bike, go back over the gate WITH the bike, and ride off. Never saw it again. Was only a cheap KMart thing, but at the time I was heartbroken... I got my first ever duallie for Christmas after that though... Yay for KMart! ;)

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I was at a Cafe' sitting at a table out the front having a nice cup of coffee after a ride.
My bike was leaning against the table not a metre from the front door of the cafe' (no bike lock) and I foolishly ducked in to throw my $3.50 on the counter and scoot out of there.

I wouldn't have been gone more than 20 seconds and my bike got nabbed. Literally 20 seconds.

I was literally five metres away from my bike, in line of sight and some little turd nabbed it and pedalled off leaving me bikeless.
I went running down the street, helmet on, and a cabbie who was parked out the front yelled "He went that way"! As he pointed at the park over the road. The bike was gone just like that.

Never saw that bike again.
Lucky for me I was insured and had a witness.

Police report done, insurance company called and a week later I was riding again.
When talking to the cabbie he told me that "The kid just came running out of the bushes as soon as you went in the cafe' and grabbed it".

It turns out that now Latte' sipping tarmac bandits are being targeted at cafe's as they do not generally carry bike locks with them (precious grams!) and they do exactly what I did.

The perp will wait until they go in and pay for their coffee and YOINK!

About a month later someone broke into my 'secure' building of apartments and hack sawed my new steed (insured replacement from prior incident) from the stairwell.
Two bikes in a month!
The second was also specifically targeted... again, never saw the bike again. called the insurance company AGAIN and believe it or not they paid the claim again.

I might mention that when my bike got nabbed from the stairwell, the lock was apparently uncuttable, the toughest on the market. However, it was not the lock that they cut but the actual beam in the stairwell!
I guess a bike lock is only as secure as what you lock it to.
How stupid of me to think that a wrought iron bar as thick as my finger, and structurally bonded in tonnes of concrete to the building would be secure enough.

Another mate of mine chained a bike of his to a street sign pole and someone actually pulled the pole out of the ground to get it.
Dont ever chain your bike to a street sign pole!

wrong guy

Quite a few years ago I had my comuter bike, a pretty nice (for an unemployed 23 year old) Avanti Comp XC? (i think, it was a long time ago) stolen when 2 guys punched me in the head while I was riding in Sydney CBD, knocked me off, then jumped on and rode/ran off . I went straight to the cops and was told to go away and that they could do nothing, despite it happening 200m away from the station, in broad daylight. They then threatened to arrest me when I protested, saying, in their lovely cop style " you getting smart son?" About 2 weeks later I was walking along George street and saw my bike, distinctive stickers, red tyres, red bar ends, riding down the street. So I stepped out and straight armed the rider, knocking him for 6, grabbed the bike... wrong bike. Different stickers, different bar ends, same tyres. The poor guy was just lying there on the road cowering (Im 6 4). I felt very, very bad... but he understood when I told him the story. All ended well, because apperently it hadnt been stolen in the city, but from my dad's insured and locked garage. Lucky that!

D

Deleted member 18757

Quite a few years ago I had my comuter bike, a pretty nice (for an unemployed 23 year old) Avanti Comp XC? (i think, it was a long time ago) stolen when 2 guys punched me in the head while I was riding in Sydney CBD, knocked me off, then jumped on and rode/ran off . I went straight to the cops and was told to go away and that they could do nothing, despite it happening 200m away from the station, in broad daylight. They then threatened to arrest me when I protested, saying, in their lovely cop style " you getting smart son?" About 2 weeks later I was walking along George street and saw my bike, distinctive stickers, red tyres, red bar ends, riding down the street. So I stepped out and straight armed the rider, knocking him for 6, grabbed the bike... wrong bike. Different stickers, different bar ends, same tyres. The poor guy was just lying there on the road cowering (Im 6 4). I felt very, very bad... but he understood when I told him the story. All ended well, because apperently it hadnt been stolen in the city, but from my dad's insured and locked garage. Lucky that!
Hope you at least bought the guy a drink or something, haha.

sea monkey

Likes Bikes
I was walking with a friend in new york and a guy walked right up to a set of bike racks with bolt cutters under his jacket broke the lock and rode off. I realized what happened about 30 secounds.

Toff

Likes Dirt
I've got a (thankfully) funny story about an attempted bike theft.

Firstly, a bit of background info: I live at the end of a couldersack on top of a hill which is pretty quiet. My driveway is about 50m long going down a hill, and separates into a sort of oval maybe 20m in length, about 10m wide on a slight angle. At the top is the shed, below the house. The shed is facing away from the road, so there is no chance you'd see anything in the house or shed from the road.

I had recently been working on a couple of mates bikes, fixing them up and tuning gears, brakes etc. There were about 5 or 6 bikes in the house, and so I put three of them in the shed. They weren't just leaned on the wall or anything, they were put inside the workshop section with a ladder, whippersnipper and other assorted awkward items between them and the door. I'd been testing a couple of things on my own bike, and for some reason ended up borrowing the drive side crank bolt from my mates bike (one of the bikes placed in the shed).

Anyway, late one night (probably 1:30 / 2:00 ish) I was getting ready to go to bed when all of a sudden my next door neighbour and a mate of his bursts (well, maybe not bursts.. walks quickly) into my room. Apparently, he and the other bloke were in the process of leaving his house to go for a drive when they noticed a couple of shady looking fellows exiting my driveway, each wheeling a bike. He knows they're mine, and immediately yells out and gives chase.

Here's the catch: One of the bikes these pieces of filth is trying to steal is the one I'd removed the crank bolt off. So, like anyone who's stealing a bike, he and his mate hop on the bikes and go to pedal off. As you can probably guess, this doesn't end so well for Mr. POF. The crank detaches from the spindle and the whole lot falls to the ground. So he yells out to his mate; "Oi! The pedal broke, run for it!". And so they both run up the street, unfortunately getting away.

The weird part was that when my neighbour returned the bikes, the one that "broke" was still missing the crank. I asked him about it and he said he didn't see it. No problems, it's probably still up in the couldersack. I go up and have a quick look around but didn't find anything. By this time I was pretty tired so I went to sleep, it could wait til the morning.

The next day, my mate comes round and we make a thorough search of the entire road. Still no crank. At this point I figured that they would be thief had somehow taken just the crank. But as I was walking back down the road, I noticed something shiny in one of the bushes on the side of the road. Sure enough, It was the missing crank.

For some reason, the would be thief had grabbed the crank as hell fell off the bike, run off with it and then 20m up the road decided he didn't really want it anymore and threw it away.

When I think about it, even though it ended up being pretty funny, if my neighbour hadn't been there at the right time those pieces of scum would probably have gotten away with both bikes. Needless to say the bikes are all stored inside the house now.

skivi

Likes Dirt
piece of filth is damn right Toff, sad that we can't sleep without wondering how our bike and cars are doing.

get a dog and always lock everything. for you i'd recommend a sound alarm of some description as your shed is away from the house, check out JayCar shops they have DIY stuff.

madboy

Likes Dirt
Wow you're pretty lucky dude.

You've got good Neighbours who would look out for you, My Neighbours probaly would'nt do shit.

Sorta makes me glad that my little Yap Yap dog barks at anyone and anything that moves.

tombmxer95

Likes Bikes
This is just my little story of a bike theft that happaned to me and a mate on new years eve.

We had been riding at this skatepark in Manning (Perth) and we needed a drink and some lunch, so we left the skatepark to go to the shops that were only about 500m away. As we arrived at the shopping complex i noticed a family of aboriginals, about 10 or so of them, and automatically thought to myself ' this doesnt seem right '. Anyway we had no locks or anything so we took our bikes into the shopping centre and left them right at the front of Coles. Ran in, grabbed a drink and paid in about 30 seconds. Walk out of coles and BAM! Both myne and my mates bikes are stolen (Haro Thread 1 and a custom Fly Tierra). As we are frantically running around the shops with helmets on looking like a bunch of retards, two guys walk up to us asking if our bikes got stolen. We said yes and he pointed us into the direction they had went.

No sign of any bikes, but we noticed that the family of aboriginals had decreased in numbers, the two witnesses told us that two boys from the family ran in and took the bikes. Not wanting to confront the family, me and my mate kept an eye over them for about 15min and we noticed two aboriginals walking towards the shops, they meet with their family and then started all walking home.

Straight away i had realised what had happened (the two boys took the bikes, bailed with them home...then dropped them off there and walked back to meet their family), and i followed the family to their home, which was about 100 metres away, and found their house. Walked back to the shops and my mate was already on the phone to the police...

"So you saw the boys take your bikes"
"No, we have witnesses though"
"Did you see them take the bikes into the house"
"No, but we know it was them"

Blah, blah, blah... As usual, police did f**k all, told us that there was nothing we could do except file a report for stolen bikes. So we were left bikeless and almost 60 kays away from home (we took the train there). And we still havnt seen the bikes.

Anyway, the moral is BIKELOCKS AT ALL TIMES...

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
I've got a (thankfully) funny story about an attempted bike theft.

Firstly, a bit of background info: I live at the end of a couldersack
...lucky chap! Please allow me to correct you...it's spelled 'Cul de Sac' which is French for 'Bottom of the Bag', describing a dead end street...;)