STOLEN: VIC - Richmond - Kona Unit 2006

bkpr

Likes Bikes
Bike: Kona Unit 2006
Colour: Brown Frame, black everything else
Date it was stolen: 26th June 2008
Where it was stolen: Richmond, Barkly Avenue (near Burnley tunnel exit)
Specs:
- Kona Unit Frame (2006)
- Kona Project 2 disc forks
- Juicy 5 disc brakes
- White Industries 16t SS freewheel
- 42t blackspire downhill SS chainring
- SRAM PC-7x SS chain
- Truvativ Stylo Singlespeed cranks
- V12 pedals
- Thomson Elite Stem
- FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro Headset
- Woodman Carbon seat post
- Sun Ringle Mach IV rims (dunno spokes, dunno hubs).
- Maxxis Overdrive 1.5 tyres
- Easton EA70 Monkey Bars (not in pics)

Other Discriptions:
- Little Skull on the front of headset (not in pics)
- Red and blue reflective vinyl 'KONA' stuck over main logo on frame. Red one side, blue on the other (not in pics).
- Silver reflective vinyl on rims (not in pics).
- Lights on front and back (CatEye and Knog Frog) (in pics!!)

Pictures:

***EDIT***
Reward for return: $200 — no questions asked. If you're reading this, give it back.

Was stolen from inside my building's carpark, right near the back door to the offices, furthest possible point from the street (roller door is up during the day). Two other bikes — one, a serious looking road bike — were still there. They cut my chain with bolt cutters or something. Took my helmet too. Unfortunately no cameras in the garage.

Have put in a police report, they said to keep an eye out in pawn shops etc, but to give it a week as they hold stock for 7 days before they can sell it to allow the police to check stock.

If anyone sees it please give me a hoy on 0413 300 912.
Thanks everyone...

Last edited:

alsatian

Cannon Fodder
I feel for you mate. I had my 07 Kona Dew Delux stolen on Tuesday too :(

Mines pretty much the same setup as your, but it's grey in colour. I'm in Fitzroy North and they picked a lock on my security cage to get to it.

I seriously hope I see the guy riding it around, because I'll kick the absolute shit out of them.
I'll be leaving my new bike in my bedroom while I sleep.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will keep an eye out over the other side of town... I had a Giant CRX2 stolen a couple of years ago, and I'm convinced I saw it over the other side of town.
Bike thieves are actually smart enough most times to move a bike well over the other side of town to get rid of it. Less chance of the owner seeing it that way.
The other thing they do is strip them and rebuild them (the pros have a swag of parts...) so that if you ever see it again, you won't think it's yours because the parts don't match... best to always engrave/police register the bike.
Oh, and always invest in the best locks you can get. At work, several bikes were pinched once, all with crap locks. They left mine alone because of the Kryptonite locks (top of the line).

bkpr

Likes Bikes
Hey all. Thanks for your help.

Yes, I had a kryptonite lock (12mm cable) which they simply cut with bolt cutters (I guess).

I'll give it about a month before I start looking for a replacement bike, or build. I had some 29" custom wheels on order for it, luckily they hadn't come in yet. The guys at dirtworks have put the order on hold until further notice. They understood.

Thanks again for your help — I've learned much about bicycle theft these last few days. I think my next bike will get a sandblast/respray with no decals to deter theft a little more. Also, a D-lock for work will be the go next time.

Last edited:

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, I had a kryptonite lock (12mm cable) which they simply cut with bolt cutters (I guess)... Also, a D-lock for work will be the go next time.
You have to have a D-lock. Krypto cables aren't unbeatable, no cable is, but D-locks are a lot more time consuming to get through, which is the aim: the longer it takes to get through the locks, the less likely your bike is to be taken. No lock is 100% secure, but it all helps. Try putting two D-locks on it, as well. I used to use two and other bikes went while mine stayed... small investment for peace of mind and only takes a second extra to lock/unlock.

scottmeister

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just came across this, thats my old bike! :(

has it popped up anywhere yet? It's a pretty unique spec, be hard to get rid of legit without parting it out...