Stolen Norco VPS sighting

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 8:20 am.
Queenscliff/Manly(Sydney) area, NSW

I'm cruising down from Queenscliff to the Manly ferry terminal, when coming down the hill next to the beach, I ride past someone on a nice full-suspension bike. I notice it's a Norco VPS and it's been completely painted over.

I say to the guy, "That's a Norco VPS, isn't it?"
He says "Heh, yeah...."
I say "why'd ya paint over it?"
He says "Ah, I've owned it for ten years and wanted to touch it up"

Then he says, "I gotta go, mate..." and turns off. So much stuff was running through my head at the time, and I don't have a serial number to check on the frame, so I let him go. (It only clicks in 5 minutes later that VPS's were only around for 5 years...) Damn. I'm so fucking stupid. :(

Here's the details:

The VPS frame is painted dark blue, with a large Bike Addiction sticker along the right hand side of the frame. It had hydraulic disc brakes, an XT rear derailleur, and Marzocchi forks up front (the black ones with the gothic style Mazocchi name).

The guy was about 6 feet tall, about 80kg?, short reddish hair, wearing an open face helmet.

I'm so sorry. I don't have any more details than that.

Who's had a VPS stolen lately? Can you give us a serial number that's on the frame?

G

well done techno lets hope it gets recovered. Good stuff on reporting it

juzza

Likes Dirt
ummmm. are you sure that that wasnt this years VPS launch. Ive got one and its kinda ot a dark blue paint job. If its the same colour as j5ive's then it's prob this years model because that cmoes with hayes hydros and an XT der. But its probebrly stolen because he says its ten years old.

Just a thought

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
This bike frame was COMPLETELY painted over, with only a Bike Addiction sticker on it. I'm pretty sure it was stolen. Keep your eye out for it. I think you'll agree with me if/when you see it.

Rik

logged out
As much as I understand your feelings TD, you gotta be real careful when approaching what you suspect is a stolen bike. Unfortunately, doing the vigilante thing is a quick way to land yourself in hot water, as you won't have a leg to stand on compared to them :(

So what you did here is probably the best option, I praise your actions, and suggest that if anyone suspects a dodgy bike, note as many details as possible, do not approach them, and then chase it up afterwards... no good jumping in a being the hero, when they could've bought it "legit" from a hock shop, plus you risk harm to yourself.

matty_2004

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Should of yelled out "THIEF!" and spear tackled him into the water ! :D jk, gw, hope if it is stolen they get it back!

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Rik said:
As much as I understand your feelings TD, you gotta be real careful when approaching what you suspect is a stolen bike. Unfortunately, doing the vigilante thing is a quick way to land yourself in hot water, as you won't have a leg to stand on compared to them :(
Chalk one up for Rik.

I went to Bike Addiction tonight, and what bike do I see parked outside but the very same painted VPS!!! I thought, "Holy shit! The thief is HERE!". I went inside, saw the same dude who was riding it before talking to Brad, and thought "I gotta move quick on this!"

The guy stops talking to Brad, walks to another part of the shop, and I rush up to Brad.

I pull Brad over to a private area and ask "Brad, do you know that dude?"

Brad goes "Yeah... he's..." so and so...., "He's an ok guy."

I say, "Brad, I spotted that Norco he's riding a few days ago by the beach..." and proceed to tell him my suspicions about the bike.

He laughs and says "Yeah, I know it's painted... we painted it for him... and fixed his linkages, and tune his bike for him. The shop's known that bike for years. It was like one of the first VPS's ever made..."

So there ya go. It was legit. Rik, you were so right. I'm glad I didn't do something stupid.

Now what's making me wonder is if I would have noticed a bike that looked stolen like that if mine hadn't been stolen earlier :?:

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
BUT TECHNO!!! Our stolen VPS was a 2003 model... How the hell do you get that mixed with an oldie *shakes his head*
You better pray Derek doesn't read this :lol:

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Squidly Didly said:
BUT TECHNO!!! Our stolen VPS was a 2003 model... How the hell do you get that mixed with an oldie *shakes his head*
What the?... Squid, YOU work there! The guy was there tonight! And Brad knows him (and the bike), ya munch!

I wipe my hands clean of the matter! :mrgreen:

You're just trying to freak me out... bastard. You should be supportive like F1!

BTW... who's Derek?

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Derek Yates said:
Techno Destructo said:
Squidly Didly said:
BTW. who's Derek?
Don't worry he never reads this stuff..... I hear he's an old roadie guy with a beard, SPD sandles and long socks.
It's not just a vicious rumour either, I actually had the displeasure of meeting him, whats up with those socks??? :)