Stiffer Wheel, front or rear ?

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
I've hambo'd the heck out of whether you should have a stiffer wheel on the front or the rear.
Personally, I think I feel my DT Swiss 481 flex when I'm " bombing " on my Optic.
So I thought I'd upgrade to a 511 or the like, leaving the 481 on the rear.
For reference, 100kg, all the grace & line selection of the hippo's in tutu's in Disney's Fantasia.
Thoughts ?

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
But wouldn't the front flex more than the rear, as in holding the line ?
Not so concerned about a 100gm increase in weight of a rim.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
How many spokes does the wheel have? Are they properly tensioned? Also..What tyres? What pressure? What fork?

Otherwise new bike will do it.

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
32 spoke DT Swiss 481, tensioned & trued, 24psi Vittoria Mazza 2.4" trail. Rockshox 34 Pike 85psi.
Rebound & compression feel fine.
I'm not a super aggressive rider, but do plough the trail at times.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I'd start with borrowing a wheel off a mate and trying that. Then if you get keen trying a beefier fork because at 100kgs you may be stressing that Pike a little.

teK--

Eats Squid
I tension spokes on both wheels to maximum that the rims will handle. That way they have the best chance of not unloading enough to cause a wheel to go out of true or collapse.

Given the choice of different stiffness rims I would put the stiffer one on the front.

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
Looks like I'll take the wheel back to be checked, try that, then try playing with the fork.
I do have a Mate with a 511 wheel that'll fit, but he rides like a loon & does zero maintenance, so the wheel will be iffy to start with.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Looking at the rear tyre knobs, the rear one get ripped quite a bit more than the front.
So I'd go rear.

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
Huckwit.
Checked a 2 week old Newmen wheel set on my Carbonda FM936 with the squeeze technique, then the offending 481.
Newmen, trim, taut & terrific, 481, banjo !
Huckwit

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I feel like i dont ride hard enough - outside of a wheel with a broken spoke or three, I've never noticed wheel flex...