Stem length...

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Ok, so it's a bit of a noob question, but here goes...

I've been getting a bit of understeer/front wheel washout on my bike. I've lowered my U-turns, played around with the tyre pressure, however the problem still remains. I was thinking of replacing the stem to a shorter one to put of bit more weight over the front and therefore get more bite out of the front tyre, and here lies my question...

I'm not sure where to measure the stem from to determine it's current length. Is it an overall measurement of length? Or centre of bars to centre of headset?

Cheers

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You got it mate - Centre to Centre.
btw, to let us help you more, you may want to give other details such as stem rise, bar rise and bar width. They all play an important part in steering feel.

kaji

Likes Dirt
Ok, so it's a bit of a noob question, but here goes...

I've been getting a bit of understeer/front wheel washout on my bike. I've lowered my U-turns, played around with the tyre pressure, however the problem still remains. I was thinking of replacing the stem to a shorter one to put of bit more weight over the front and therefore get more bite out of the front tyre, and here lies my question...

I'm not sure where to measure the stem from to determine it's current length. Is it an overall measurement of length? Or centre of bars to centre of headset?

Cheers
wouldn't a longer stem put my weight over the front wheel? as you would have to position yourself forward in any given position to reach the bars? other option is to either slam your stem down and flip it so it would have negative rise or run wider and lower bars to help with getting your weight forward.

el~rio

Likes Dirt
wouldn't a longer stem put my weight over the front wheel? as you would have to position yourself forward in any given position to reach the bars? other option is to either slam your stem down and flip it so it would have negative rise or run wider and lower bars to help with getting your weight forward.
What tires and tire pressures are you running?
If your running Crossmarks I've found you problem :p

crossmarks arn't that bad but still what tires are you running, also it might help to put your bumb a bit more forward on the seat.

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Coolcool, well that makes my stem length 100mm (huh, longer than I thought). Other than that, I've got 650mm wide bars with a 2" rise, and the stem has another 1" rise. I have lowered it using the spacers, but only half way down. I suppose I could lower it further to the base, or as Kaji says flip the stem. Maybe it'll take some more experimentation...

In terms is tyre choice, Continental Gravitys 2.3" usually around the 35psi mark. I could change these, but there is still plenty of tread on them... And then I'll have to make a tyre choice...

I rarely sit in the saddle, unless it's cruising along. When I'm trying, it's all standing :)

kaji

Likes Dirt
Coolcool, well that makes my stem length 100mm (huh, longer than I thought). Other than that, I've got 650mm wide bars with a 2" rise, and the stem has another 1" rise. I have lowered it using the spacers, but only half way down. I suppose I could lower it further to the base, or as Kaji says flip the stem. Maybe it'll take some more experimentation...

In terms is tyre choice, Continental Gravitys 2.3" usually around the 35psi mark. I could change these, but there is still plenty of tread on them... And then I'll have to make a tyre choice...

I rarely sit in the saddle, unless it's cruising along. When I'm trying, it's all standing :)
after reading that - flip the stem! you won't regret it! Depending on your weight you might also drop the front pressure to around 30-32psi (depends on how rigid the carcass of the tire is - i tend to have a min of 32 in my front tire as anything less feels like the tire wants to roll off the rim when you push your front wheel into corners to set the edge)

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Cheers boys and girls.. I'll play around with the spacers (again) and flip the stem and see what happens. I'm reluctant to drop the pressure any further, as I don't think the side walls will take it. I've had enough snakebites...

Thanks again