Stealth Santa Cruz DVOmad CC V3

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Retired my much loved Rune V2 last night and built up the beast below. If it rides 90% as well as it looks then i will be a happy camper.

Frame
- Santa Cruz Nomad CC V3
Rear shock - DVO Topaz
Front shock/fork - DVO Diamond 160mm
Handlebars - Spank Spike Vibrocore
Stem - Joystick Binary 35mm
Headset - Hope
Grips - Ergon GE1
Saddle - Ergon SME3
Seatpost - OneUp 170mm
Front brake - Hope Tech E4 w/203mm Hope rotor
Rear brake - Hope Tech E4 w/180mm Hope rotor
Cranks - Raceface Aeffect with Wolftooth 30t
Chainguide eBay Elcheapo + Funn Zippa Lite Bashie
Chain - KMC
Pedals - Chromag Scarab
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT M8000 11 speed
Front shifter - NIL
Rear shifter - Shimano XT M8000
Cassette - Sunrace 11-46t
Front hub - Industry 9 Torch
Rear hub - Industry 9 Torch
Front rim - Spank Oozy Trail 345
Rear rim - Spank Oozy Trail 345
Spokes - DT Swiss Competition
Nipples - Brass
Tyres - Assegai 2.5WT 3c Maxx Terra front and Aggressor 2.5WT DD or DHR2 WT rear.
Tubes - NIL
Total weight - 13.9Kg with pedals

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Looks great, I'd love to have a ride of that one. Nice build and not heavy.

Just don't leave it out in the dark, you will never see it at night time.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That looks very sweet!!! Light too. I haven't got mine near scales yet, but I'd say it is a lot heavier.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That looks very sweet!!! Light too. I haven't got mine near scales yet, but I'd say it is a lot heavier.
Yeah am pretty happy with the weight. Saved exactly 1Kg swapping from the Rune.
Nothing in the build is particularly light either so definitely cannot complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you're looking to transition to more of a...freight train style on the downs you have made a good choice.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're looking to transition to more of a...freight train style on the downs you have made a good choice.
I wasn't so much looking to transition to anything, the frame just came up at a good price so thought it was worth a try.
I have read about the plough style of this bike and the leverage curve so I am hoping I like it, or can dial the shock to make it ride how I want. Admittedly I do have a "hold on and hope for the best" riding style so it may be perfect.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My original nomad (v1-2008) was light and poppy, floated through everything. The new one has a plough it feel while still offering plenty of playfulness on the tricking it out front. I put most of that down to spec. Your spec looks focussed on responsive fine tuned air pleasures?

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Absolutely! If it performs as you say i will be a happy camper. I just hope I don't have to go warp speed to experience the playful side of it, otherwise i will absolutely axe myself.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Speed up the rebound, stiffen up the suspension, set ego for boost...you'll be fine.

What crank length are you running? I found my 170mm with the push link in a little lower than I'm used to.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This thing is a beast!

Can't wait for a ride report and comparison to the rune.

Subscribed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay first ride in and it rides so much like the Rune it is ridiculous. It is definitely a lot smoother over chatter and I found it easier to pop off small features and also easier to get air off jumps. It is easier to muscle around corners than the Rune and definitely climbs better, but it is 1kg lighter.

If I was in a shop and buying identical builds new, would I pay the premium for the Nomad? Hell no. Buy the Rune.
But if you can get one cheap, the Nomad slays.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinion completely after extended testing.

Last edited:

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay first ride in and it rides so much like the Rune it is ridiculous. It is definitely a lot smoother over chatter and I found it easier to pop off small features and also easier to get air off jumps. It is easier to muscle around corners than the Rune and definitely climbs better, but it is 1kg lighter.

If I was in a shop and buying identical builds new, would I pay the premium for the Nomad? Hello no. Buy the Rune.
But if you can get one cheap, the Nomad slays.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinion completely after extended testing.

You had me at easier to pop off small features and get air off jumps. AMAZING!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
slick ride, but i'm a little confused as to why you weighed it with pedals
could you please remove them and give us all the Real World weight w/o pedals.....chump!
Was just taking the piss. Just subtract 1.5Kg for a no pedals weight.