SRAM Rear Mech Cage Transfer

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
After wrecking a new mech and buying a new med cage one, then going from 2x10 to 1x10, I don't really want to buy a new mech just for the short cage. I have a suitable short cage, but dont want to start hacking away at the med cage before knowing what i am doing. Do I need to buy a new pin and gear that isnt on the shorty, or can I transfer it from the med cage? Thanks in advanced.

photo.jpg

mason33

Likes Dirt
After wrecking a new mech and buying a new med cage one, then going from 2x10 to 1x10, I don't really want to buy a new mech just for the short cage. I have a suitable short cage, but dont want to start hacking away at the med cage before knowing what i am doing. Do I need to buy a new pin and gear that isnt on the shorty, or can I transfer it from the med cage? Thanks in advanced.

View attachment 262197
A little more information on the specs of the derailleurs wouldn't go astray...

By the looks of it the short cage is from a sram x9 type 2 clutch derailleur and the medium cage is from a standard x9. I really doubt you can put a type 2 cage on a standard x9 derailleur due to completely different operation and design of each unit. Best off just putting the complete medium derailleur on, there isn't that much advantage having a short cage.

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
A little more information on the specs of the derailleurs wouldn't go astray...

By the looks of it the short cage is from a sram x9 type 2 clutch derailleur and the medium cage is from a standard x9. I really doubt you can put a type 2 cage on a standard x9 derailleur due to completely different operation and design of each unit. Best off just putting the complete medium derailleur on, there isn't that much advantage having a short cage.
Ypu're roght. Its a type 2 shorty and X9 standard med. I spent a while trying to get the pin off the med, but no luck, so i will probably just leave it for now. Cheers mate