SR Suntour; What do we know about their stuff?

McPete

Likes Dirt
Folks;
I've been perusing the inter-webs and I came across the website of SR Suntour, makers of a lot of the parts on my old road bike.

I've seen a lot of their forks on fairly basic XC bikes and the like, but I was slightly staggered to learn they make a rather serious looking Triple-clamp fork (link).

Do they make anything worthwhile anymore?

d_j1

Likes Dirt
It hasn't even got a 20mm thru axle. Game over. Seriously though there is a reason why you don't see Suntour forks in world cup races.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
It hasn't even got a 20mm thru axle.
Does it need one? Its only 150mm...Drop Offs and JrTs had QR lowers for a while I believe and they had arguably more travel...but they are better forks...

Ok, so their recent history hasn't endeared them to several Farkiners.
Well actually...when I had that set of XCP-75s, I thought that they performed better then the equivelant RockShox/Marzocchi/Manitou forks at their level. Mind you, that was entry level XC.

Their gear is marketed as a cheaper alternative I believe...you cant really expect much more. Sure, they do look good on paper but many things do.

That said, those DUROLUX forks do look nice...the gold stanchions will work in their favour as the older black ones lost their blackness over time. Manitou worked this out a while ago as well (the nitride covering caused stiction issues putting excess pressure on the seals...'tis why Stance have such a bad wrap...)

I dont think their upper range has much of a market over here...if you do manage to get ahold of a set for a play, keep us posted...I know Ill be interested!

Last edited:

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
It hasn't even got a 20mm thru axle. Game over. Seriously though there is a reason why you don't see Suntour forks in world cup races.
because its shit.
seriously i build heaps of bikes with that junk on them where i work and you can tell its just crap.

Brent

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
They obviously only target the lower end of the market for their products. You get what you pay for(to an extent).

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They have a range of Cross Country forks which come on the GT Avalanches, they are the Suntour XCM, they look fairly good and come on fairly expensive bikes other than the GT Avalanches. Usually bikes under $1500. Also the Suntour Duro came on some other fairly high end bikes: Jamis, Giant, etc

grandmabacon

Likes Dirt
I got suntour duros and they are holding up just fine even while im doing the jumps at local dirt jumps, I reckon they look pretty spanky, was thinking about getting rid of them but suntour suprised me when i rode with them so im not really interested in new forks, i think you gotta ride em before killing them.

James

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sr suntour groupsets used to be a huge part of the road scene and early mountain bike scene now a days there more of an oem supplier though there new range looks promising.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they have brough out a few decent forks for 08 a lot of the bigger companies are running them on their dj bike like mongoose and they arent to bad for a beginner they are perfect and they arent as expensive as the other top of the line brands heres a fact for you

befor mtbing was BIG suntour was better quality then shimano and sram they used to rule the market

thats what my dad says anyway

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they have brough out a few decent forks for 08 a lot of the bigger companies are running them on their dj bike like mongoose and they arent to bad for a beginner they are perfect and they arent as expensive as the other top of the line brands heres a fact for you

befor mtbing was BIG suntour was better quality then shimano and sram they used to rule the market

thats what my dad says anyway
yes that is true they used to be the biggest japanese bike manufacturer and i have some suntour derailers on my old roadie and there still shifting great 20 years later.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mongoose are using RST Launch forks on there Fireball and ritual for 08, they use SR Suntour on the Tyax and the cheaper Amasa's. Jamis have not used SR suntour for about 2 years as there were issues with them and went to RST for all there cheaper bikes. After using and selling bikes with both brands I would definitely prefer the RST's to the Suntours. The RST's feel better to me and a lot of my customers feel the same after a demo ride.

d_j1

Likes Dirt
Does it need one? Its only 150mm...Drop Offs and JrTs had QR lowers for a while I believe and they had arguably more travel...but they are better forks...
Well to be a, and I quote, "seriours looking triple clamp" these days yes. Even over looking that with the Drop Off (quality fork there...not) and JrTs (are they even still produced) they are still just poor quality fork, in terms of both material and production.

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jesus there are some brand-whores about!

Suntour also manufacture some forks for one of the 'name brands' that you all know and love so much. ;)

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Jesus there are some brand-whores about!

Suntour also manufacture some forks for one of the 'name brands' that you all know and love so much. ;)
Can you list who? Im actually interested. Ive never ridden suntour forks, the durolux look ok though. edit - im looking at buying a cheap set of forks soon.. is there any sr suntour forks in particular which would be at the level of a rockshox tora or marz mx pro or something around that price range, but cheaper?

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can you list who? Im actually interested. Ive never ridden suntour forks, the durolux look ok though. edit - im looking at buying a cheap set of forks soon.. is there any sr suntour forks in particular which would be at the level of a rockshox tora or marz mx pro or something around that price range, but cheaper?
I don't really want to stick my chin out for various reasons, but I'm sure someone who knows the same but doesn't have as much to lose will post up a reply for you;)

The forks you mentioned 'may' or 'maynotbe' be in that Suntour pool.......?;)

Suntour entry level forks on OE bikes are a great addition and huge reason new bikes are so affordable nowadays.

Don't be bullied into the marketing hype if your needs are only for an entry level fork with good performance.

That said, the original post related to road groupsets I recall. They were outstanding IMO and worth keeping, maintaining etc... I've got a 20yr old Peugot roadbike with Suntour mechs, shifters, cranks and chain. It is still a wonderful bike today thanks to the running gear.

Cheers