Spring for a DHX 5.0 10.5x3.5

nitro01

Likes Dirt
G'day guys and gals,

Chasing the right spring weight for a 2010 Morewood Makulu with a DHX 5.0 and a 350 spring.

I'm 73kg with armour and the 350 only gives me 10%sag and not even half the travel use. Ridden it a few times, got the fork dialled but the rear end is quite annoying to say the least.

HELP!!

Nitro :)

udi

swiss cheese
I may have what you need (300 x 3.5 Fox spring), will check when I'm home tomorrow. Check your inbox.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I got a 200lb spring for my 2010 Makulu and I'm about 90kg geared.
May need to jump to a 250lb but need to try it first (still building).

There's a thread somewhere, maybe mtbr or something where people are discussing their spring weights.
That's where I got the info I needed to choose the right spring for my weight.

The Makulu should have 40-50% sag, so you're gonna have to go pretty low at your weight.

EDIT: Don't think this is the exact thread I was reading,but have a read through here.
http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-freeride/morewood-makulu-spring-weight-737542.html

Reading around it seems most people are using 200-250lb springs.
Alternatively you can ask on the Morewood Facebook page. They actually respond to people. :)

Last edited:

nitro01

Likes Dirt
I got a 200lb spring for my 2010 Makulu and I'm about 90kg geared.
May need to jump to a 250lb but need to try it first (still building).

There's a thread somewhere, maybe mtbr or something where people are discussing their spring weights.
That's where I got the info I needed to choose the right spring for my weight.

The Makulu should have 40-50% sag, so you're gonna have to go pretty low at your weight.

EDIT: Don't think this is the exact thread I was reading,but have a read through here.
http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-freeride/morewood-makulu-spring-weight-737542.html

Reading around it seems most people are using 200-250lb springs.
Alternatively you can ask on the Morewood Facebook page. They actually respond to people. :)
Thanks mang, spoke to Tris from NS Dynamics and he reckons a 200lb steelie for my tall skinny ass. I think a lot of people go lower but I'm throwing it round pretty hard off some good sized jumps (I have the elegance of a fish) so we'll see how I go. Anyhow, it only looks like 2 bolts to get this monster out :) thanks for the help!

bog

Likes Bikes
Nitro01,
I'm about 100kegs when kitted up and run a 275lb spring on a bos stoy at about 40% sag, I flog the bike pretty hard and bottom out semi regularly on some of the bigger hits. Depends on how much HSC damping and rebound you run as well as the tune of the shock. I chose the spring for sag and then adjusted HSC to suit how I wanted the back end to track. The speed your traveling has a lot to do with how the suspension feels, riding slow feels wallowy but flat stick she feels awesome. You can get nuke proof springs of crc pretty cheap and they fit well in the seat stay arch without to much rubbing.

nitro01

Likes Dirt
**UPDATE**

So after I crashed it good on tuesday being a nong I tracked down a 200lb spring for the beast and it's nice and squishy @ 30% sag

Thanks for all your help everyone :)