Spring Fat Tyre Festival 2010

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
I'm disappointing at all the people who stopped and unclipped to let me past. Its very easy to move to the side when there is a widening in the track and roll slowly.

If I had to stop for everyone that came up behind me I might as well just stay on the side of the track for the whole race!

In regards to the hill, I think there were more walkers than riders.... Was the down hill on the other side worth it?
When you're a newbie it's very difficult to see passing spots for several reasons, the first is that you tend not to pass people so you don't know from experience what kind of space is needed. The second is your bike control skills are a lot less refined, so keeping on line and balanced when being passed is a lot more difficult - that track widening may have looked wide enough to you but to a newbie it might as well have been a tightrope. And finally when you're new to it, you tend to loose all your skills once someone fast is waiting behind to pass - even now my skills get worse the moment someone fast is behind me and that's after over a year of solid racing.

As the skills and confidence improve these people will stop pulling right off, but there's nothing like friendly comments from the elites going past to help build that confidence :) ! A track with lots of obvious passing areas helps too.

timbo1970

Cannon Fodder
Awaba

Awaba was my first ever mountain bike race, not only did i come away with a brand new Kona, which by the way was awsome to ride just need to get some proper shoes to get the most out of it
but also came away thinking how polite everyone was, being unfit i made sure i moved out of the way for the faster guys and girls and was always thanked,some even asked how i was liking the bike which i found amazing,especially the speed they were doing, everyone was really freindly and i cannot wait for the next race
see you at the start line

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Dude - even I was stoked when I saw you pick up that Kona! And you certainly looking happy pounding away on it during the day! :)

gazzaed

Likes Dirt
Pics are up, supersportimages.com.au. Bit dissapointing, I rode solo and got three pics, and one isnt even me.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Pics are up, supersportimages.com.au. Bit dissapointing, I rode solo and got three pics, and one isnt even me.
thanks for the heads up.

doesnt seem like they have a "package" deal. Photo's are not that spectacular at $20 a pop.. same old story really..

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
doesnt seem like they have a "package" deal. Photo's are not that spectacular at $20 a pop.. same old story really..

"SPECIAL OFFER - Download All Identified Images for Your Bib No. Strictly Personal Use. SSI Retains Copyrights"

loc81

Likes Dirt
2 pics under my name/number- each of someone seperate, that isn't me!
As I asked earlier, did anyone see photo's being taken at any of the jumps?

bt100

Likes Dirt
There was a photographer at one jump and I thought there would be a good one of me but there isn't. Maybe he wasn't an official photographer?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Does anyone know how the rider faired that went off the side of the ground effects bridge? It looked nasty as I rode past and saw him lying underneath the bridge!
15 stitches in his chin, and a few more in each knee. The guy was very thankful for all the riders that stopped to help and the rapid response from the St John First Aid team

2010 Spring Fat Tyre Festival Awaba mountain bike park Rosco onboard video.

Another video from the Fat Tyre Festival.
Rosco(Ross Cairns) Riding a new borrowed lefty 29er. His team went on to win the mixed 4s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5i2kvzByqU

Sorry about the compression rate of the video but I had to get it up ASAP.

Regards Mick B (Newy Cogheads)

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
15 stitches in his chin, and a few more in each knee. The guy was very thankful for all the riders that stopped to help and the rapid response from the St John First Aid team
A very lucky guy by the sounds of things, it could have been so much worse. What happened? A washed front end straight under the guard rail?

chica

Likes Dirt
same.

there were plenty more cameras round the track... where are the pics??
i was taking pics of our junior team 'The Young Ones' and also took hundreds of other riders. (girl with black shorts and grey top lying on the side of the track) Just trying to make space on the laptop to download them all. if the weather remains as is, should be able to get it done by the end of the week.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Event wrap from chris...

Good morning everyone,

Thank you all so very much for making this race our favourite one yet! The weather, the atmosphere, the amazing track, and so many smiling faces all combined to make this definitely the most fun we've had putting on an event. We hope you all had just as much fun. A massive thanks to HMBA for all of their hard work on the track and to JP Morgan and Kona and to all of our bike industry sponsors. Support those who support us.

Here's some quick stats about the event:

Total riders registered: 509
Total riders who actually bothered to get out of bed and show up: 471
Total number of laps ridden: approx 2522 (according to club's secret lap counter)
Highest recorded temperature: 29.2 degrees
Recorded rain at race: 0.00mm (recorded rain in Sydney - 5.8mm)
Fastest Male Lap: Matt Potter - 28.53
Fastest Female Lap: Kristen Vallance - 34.58
Most laps by a solo rider: Jason English - 15 (first lap was 30.16...ninth lap was 30.15...and then he took it easy on his 15th and only did 33.53...unreal)
Most crashes (that we know of): Justin Iddles - 5
Worst Crash: Tim Burr - 14 stitches in chin, 5 stitches in each knee, swollen throat...but still had a blast!

Best story from the event: Justin Iddles (who also scored most crashes award) is a fit roadie mate of mine who just bought a mountain bike two weeks ago and after a bit of gentle prodding from friends, came up to Awaba to do his first mountain bike race ever. While out for a lap, he came across another rider who was having mechnical issues with his bike. Justin stopped to see if he could help. The other rider was in a mad panic because his chain was twisted and wrapped up in the cranks and his team was winning their category. Justin, without even hesitating, offered his brand new bike to the other rider so he could finish his lap and his team could stay out front. The other rider jumped on the bike, but then realised that Justin had a different brand of pedals and that his cleats would not work. So Justin also offered his shoes to the rider...and after a quick exchange, boom the rider was off in a flash. Justin got help with the twisted chain from another passing rider and continued on back to transition, always with a big smile on his face! Now if that story isn't proof positive of the friendly vibe that can always be found among mountain bikers, then I don't know what is. Good on ya Justin! And if you happen to be that guy that rode Justin's bike to a podium spot...go say G'day to him at The Brewery on the corner of Kent St and Erskine St in the Sydney CBD. He's a mad barista and a true unique personality.

And for the final result and most important statistic of the North vs South Race Series...The North won 25 out of 36 podiums to charge to a commanding win at the Awaba event...however, THE SOUTH takes the series!!! With 38 out of 71 overall podium spots between the two races, it looks like the crew from South of the Harbour Bridge can stand up tall and proud knowing they can claim victory in 2010. So next time some bro and his fully sick chick rock up to Manly Dam in their ute with a massive Cronulla Sharks sticker on it to go for a couple laps...don't get too cocky sitting there in your Toyota Prado sipping the last of your latte and finishing off that gluten free organic pumpkin seed muffin...they might have just been the mixed pairs team that smashed you at one of the races!!! Aaaah good times indeed!

Thanks so much again everyone. Attached are the preliminary results in case you missed the ones on our website. Have a quick check for mistakes and we will post final results tomorrow. As well, keep an eye out in Enduro Magazine over the next couple issues for photos and a full article about the event.

Lastly, check www.supersportimages.com for any cool pictures of yourself. Jose was out there on the weekend snapping away and also was one of the key people in helping out Tim Burr with his nasty crash. Support his great work by grabbing a couple pics of yourself, they'll look great on the wall wedged between the photo of Auntie Hazel and that wedding photo of you with a mullet.

Cheers and see everyone next year!

Chris Wilson

Jandrew

Squid
Was an awesome race, my 2nd one ever and first team event. My mate won the Kona and is very happy.

Chris seemed to keep everyone in transition and waiting around amussed and happy with heaps of giveaways and fun announcements. Happy to read the person who got hurt got help asap.

I must admit I am disapointed with the photos as well, I saw heaps of photographers and only one photo of me on their website.. These guys did the Dirt Fest last month and there were heaps of photos for that one.

All in all myself and my mates (our little team of 4) had a great time and can't wait to get out to more events!