Specialized Stumpjumper opinions

Majin

Likes Dirt
Hey, Burners.
So my old man is looking at getting the new Stumpjumper expert(29).
Has anyone had any issues with them?.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers
Majin

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I've put over 5000kms on the camber expert which uses the same front triangle as the stumpjumper. No issues at all with the frame and the SWAT is a really handy feature which I'm not sure I could live without now. Mine has had main pivot bearing replaced once because Im pedantic but the rest are all original and the press fit BB is original and it's one of the quieter bikes going around in terms of creaks etc.

The geometry of them is probably erring on the conservative side of things by 2018 standards but I personally prefer this as I feel they are more nimble and responsive on 'normal'trails than some other slacked out beasts.

The traverse wheels on the expert come with DT Swiss pawl hubs and rev spokes (24 front, 28 rear). Not the stiffest wheelset out but good width in the rims. If your old man is charging or a clyde this is probably the best upgrade to make. Mine have held up well but I'm about to replace the whole rear due to play in the hub bearings and low spoke tension throughout leading to a sloppy feeling back there.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My wife has a 2017 stumpy with a pile fork. She loves it! My main criticism with the 2018 is they come with a Fox 34 performance fork which for a 7k + bike is pretty average!

redbruce

Eats Squid
The best bit, no brain technology shock.

Downside, Spesh Australia warranty performance is pretty indifferent and all too subject to dealer involvement/commitment.

Last edited:

Majin

Likes Dirt
I've put over 5000kms on the camber expert which uses the same front triangle as the stumpjumper. No issues at all with the frame and the SWAT is a really handy feature which I'm not sure I could live without now. Mine has had main pivot bearing replaced once because Im pedantic but the rest are all original and the press fit BB is original and it's one of the quieter bikes going around in terms of creaks etc.

The geometry of them is probably erring on the conservative side of things by 2018 standards but I personally prefer this as I feel they are more nimble and responsive on 'normal'trails than some other slacked out beasts.

The traverse wheels on the expert come with DT Swiss pawl hubs and rev spokes (24 front, 28 rear). Not the stiffest wheelset out but good width in the rims. If your old man is charging or a clyde this is probably the best upgrade to make. Mine have held up well but I'm about to replace the whole rear due to play in the hub bearings and low spoke tension throughout leading to a sloppy feeling back there.
thnaks slim Jim!
He isnt too hard charging. But he'll probably get a set of onyx hubs later on as he hates louds hubs. :)

My wife has a 2017 stumpy with a pile fork. She loves it! My main criticism with the 2018 is they come with a Fox 34 performance fork which for a 7k + bike is pretty average!
Yea Id prefer him to go the Ohlins model ( which he is considering).

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
thnaks slim Jim!
He isnt too hard charging. But he'll probably get a set of onyx hubs later on as he hates louds hubs. :)

Yea Id prefer him to go the Ohlins model ( which he is considering).
The stock DT hubs are very quiet when properly greased.

I'd be wary of the Ohlins stuff based on some reviews I've read.

Z

Zaf

I've had my Stumpy FSR for two years now. One of the easiest bikes to live with I've ever owned, and since Bikeyoke cracked open the aftermarket shock options they've only become more appealing. It's the perfect "mountain bike" if that makes sense. Throw some light wheels on it and it's a poppy trail tool, but throw a longer beefier fork up front and a coil or reservoir shock on the rear and you can hammer it over some serious terrain.

SWAT features add more to the purchase, all the pivot points are double row bearings on them, and common sizes. The bike has not needed a bearing replacement in my time with it. Also the internal cable routing is some of the best to deal with, tubes withing tubes the length of the downtube, you have the SWAT box to get in there any do anything else, and nicely thought through and executed ports.

I'd buy one again.

Majin

Likes Dirt
The stock DT hubs are very quiet when properly greased.

I'd be wary of the Ohlins stuff based on some reviews I've read.
Yea I've heard its overdamped, which would suit him.
I've had my Stumpy FSR for two years now. One of the easiest bikes to live with I've ever owned, and since Bikeyoke cracked open the aftermarket shock options they've only become more appealing. It's the perfect "mountain bike" if that makes sense. Throw some light wheels on it and it's a poppy trail tool, but throw a longer beefier fork up front and a coil or reservoir shock on the rear and you can hammer it over some serious terrain.

SWAT features add more to the purchase, all the pivot points are double row bearings on them, and common sizes. The bike has not needed a bearing replacement in my time with it. Also, the internal cable routing is some of the best to deal with, tubes within tubes the length of the downtube, you have the SWAT box to get in there any do anything else, and nicely thought through and executed ports.

I'd buy one again.
The swat is a great idea, that's what made him look at it originally.
Does the brake line still run through rear triangle?

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

Yea I've heard its overdamped, which would suit him.

The swat is a great idea, that's what made him look at it originally.
Does the brake line still run through rear triangle?
Not on my S-Works, and I'd say they wouldn't change that on the alloy. It emerges from the downtube infront of the BB, then curls back into a neat little guide that runs it up the underside of the brake side chainstay before looping up to the seatstay (another routing point there) to go to the caliper.

The Derailleur cable is internal though.

Majin

Likes Dirt
Not on my S-Works, and I'd say they wouldn't change that on the alloy. It emerges from the downtube infront of the BB, then curls back into a neat little guide that runs it up the underside of the brake side chainstay before looping up to the seatstay (another routing point there) to go to the caliper.

The Derailleur cable is internal though.
Thanks Zaf!

Reactions: Zaf

749dark

Likes Dirt
I just picked up a 2018 S-Works Stumpjumper. Only ridden it twice but it feels great. The frame is stiff and compliant. The Ohlins suspension is great but needs some more km's before it really feels at home. So far the wheels feel nice and stiff. It looks amazing as well.

Overall very happy with the bike so far.

damo666

Likes Dirt
I've got a Stumpy 6Fattie/29er and love it (currently running 29er wheels).

Have a bit more travel at both ends and its incredibly versatile, I use it for everything from commuting or tootling around with my little bloke through to the local DH rounds.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
CBF’d starting a new thread so this:

Talk about a rave review, and he’s not alone.

In fact, the new SJ ticks so many boxes I’m having trouble suggesting anything else as an alternative to my mate who hopes to be in the market soon.

And yes, there are so many great 29ers out there right now. It’s just that the new SJ seems to be possibly the most awesome.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
CBF’d starting a new thread so this:

Talk about a rave review, and he’s not alone.

In fact, the new SJ ticks so many boxes I’m having trouble suggesting anything else as an alternative to my mate who hopes to be in the market soon.

And yes, there are so many great 29ers out there right now. It’s just that the new SJ seems to be possibly the most awesome.
I like watching Jason's bike reviews, but he seems to enjoy all the bikes he tests -guess he's a positive sort of guy! The SJ did get extraordinary praise though...

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Reach & seat tube angle still seem pretty conservative / old school....
HA at 66.5 is pretty good for a Trail bike....but not exactly pushing any boundaries.
140 / 150 travel on a trail 29er is aggressive.
No doubt it's a real 'swiss-army knife' kinda bike? (as long as you're not built like an Orangutan....like me...)