DH Specialized BigHit Pro

dazz

Downhill Dazz
So this was my first DH bike that I bought a looong time ago...
Went along to a DH race in the Youies with some mates and thought, "this looks like fun"!
Pretty much bought the first DH rig I looked at (dumb, but gotta start somewhere right).

Picked up the BigHit and headed off to my first DH race which was a Muddy's event in Nerrina, and guess what? yep it was wet.
Turns out I won sport class in my first event! The bike went on to take all the punishment I could throw at it until I snapped off the back half of the hanger at a race up at Mt Buller. Full ghetto repair using a combo of a gear cable, cable ties and cloth tape to hold the rear axle in place and to my surprise it held firm for race day! Quick trip to GripSport and it was good as new!

Had Super T's on it originally now running some period 7" Boxxers with a MoJo cart. I preferred the 'zokes TBH...
Also ran Hayes HFX-mags on it up until I raided them for parts to keep another bike going.
Modded the Vanilla RC to add a valve to the reservoir cap so it can be serviced without needing any special equipment to re-pressurize. Also mucked about with a valve in the spring leg.

Anyways, I thought I'd post it up here before the old girl gets moved on to a new home. Enjoy!
(PS shout out to Moorey for helping out, and inspiration for last pic)

Frame - 2003 Specialized BigHit Pro (NFI on size, guessing med or small)
Rear shock - Fox Vanilla RC with modded res cap.
Front shock/fork - 03/04 7" Rockshox Boxxer with MoJo cart, I think extends the travel a little?
Handlebars - Answer ProTaper
Stem - Original (upside down to counter the high rise bars a little bit)
Headset - Aheadset
Grips - Specialized
Saddle - old Titec from Mooreys shed
Seatpost - Ritchey
Front brake - Avid Juicy 7 - 8" Hayes rotor
Rear brake - Avid Juicy 7 - 6" Hayes rotor
Cranks - Truvative 165mm Hussefelts
Chainguide - MRP
Pedals - Dice
Rear derailleur - XT
Rear shifter - XT
Cassette - 32-11 9 speed and a 42T chainring up front
Front hub - XSiV (yeah I've never heard of em before either)
Rear hub - DT swiss Onyx
Rims - Dice 26" front, 24" rea
Tyres - Maxxis HighRollers
Tubes - yes
Total weight - 18.6 kg as pictured.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Love the old dice rims!

Inspired by the hype spesh put out to justify their old mullets I ran 24 inch rear wheels on a bunch of frames for years. Used to love it.