SPD vs. Eggbeaters

dunndog

Eats Squid
For all mountain riding, what do you prefer - Spd or eggbeater clipless designs? I've only ridden Spd, and while I don't have any major concerns, there are a couple of things that bug me. Occasionally I feel like I'd like a bit more float, but I do like the crisp snap on engagement you get with Shimano.. also sometimes I find it hard to get the foot back in quickly, which then sees me trying to ride some funky shit with a foot slipping around on my xt trails. Apparently eggbeaters are a bit easier to release and engage than Spd?
So what do you ride/prefer and why?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Flats.... for the exact reasons you don't like Shimano.
Never go back to clipless for trail/AM riding.
I got pissed off trying to clip back in after getting a foot out.
Best decision I made with regards to pedal choice.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Ivan

Eats Squid
I prefer CB's by a smidge over Shimano for the ease of getting in. The easier float is good too. If you prefer really high tension on your shimano cleats though, CB's just can't be tight like that.

I have both, like both for different reasons, but am going back to flats for "fun".

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
Flats.... for the exact reasons you don't like Shimano.
Never go back to clipless for trail/AM riding.
I got pissed off trying to clip back in after getting a foot out.
Best decision I made with regards to pedal choice.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Revisited flats not long ago, don't like them. Could probably get used to it again, but it all feels pretty clunky now with the size and bulk of good flats and shoes.. and the feeling of connection with the bike is hard to give up when you're used to it. My niggles with clips are only few, and I feel like eggbeaters at solve a few but just wondering what people's thoughts are. I have my shimano tensions pretty loose, so that won't be an issue on cb. If they're 10% easier to get back into in a hurry, and additionally provide better unclipped support aka mallets, then I'd possibly be golden.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Eggbeaters for me on XC bike, acids on second bike, mallets on DH bike.

Knees and ankles don't like spd's restricted positions and need the float. I find I change foot angles depending on tiredness levels later in a ride.

Never pulled a cleat straight out of any CB pedals, have with SPD.

CB pedals chew thru bearings and cleats. Cleats don't last very long, say 50 hrs, once worn release becomes an issue. Bearings maybe 100hrs. Avoid the base levels ones that only have an outside bearing and don't have roller bearings near the crank end.

John U

MTB Precision
Egg beaters on everything but the downhill bike which runs flats (possibly some mallets somewhere). Never had much of an issue with them letting go due to pedal strikes. But I ride having fuck all pedal strikes.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Dunndog, I've a pair of candy pedals with new cleats you're more then welcome to borrow if you wanna try them.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Tried CBS years ago and for me it was like riding with my feet on ice, way too loose but as you said you liked float they may suit. If my SPDs ever fall apart would like to try HT pedals as they get good write ups.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Dunndog, I've a pair of candy pedals with new cleats you're more then welcome to borrow if you wanna try them.
JT you're right, that there is a very kind offer! Thanks Link, that's really appreciated mate! I'll PM you once I have neutralised the kids with weet bix banana honey and paw patrol. Champion!

golden path

Banned
Used Eggs for a couple of years, found the cleats to be soft and fast wearing, and expensive to replace. Not common LBS stock either. Had one pedal come completely off the spindle on one ride - easy and cheap fix tho.

I prefer an SPD style, and have three pairs of Exustar double sided pedals that have given no trouble over several years - and use cheap and easy to get SPD cleats.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I run ATAC on mtb and bmx. Time pedals on my roadie too. Atacs are maybe 8 years old. Current roadie pedals are 18 months old with set before lasting 7 years and 45,000km of commuting.

Previously raced DH on either flats or DX shimano track dependent but mainly flats. Only run flats on dirtjumper. I have found big cases and big landings hurt less on flats due to foot placement.