Spacecab Utes for DH Shuttling?

jonot

Likes Dirt
What does everyone think of spacecab utes to shuttle in? Annoying?

Can anyone reccommend some good cheaper utes (~10k) for shuttling purposes?

I hear the best sorts are dualcab 4x4's with steel dropside trays.

Thoughts and opinions :D

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
Dual cabs are the best cause you can load 5 riders and 5 bikes easily. I have a Toyota Hilux 2x4 and it does the job nicely. You will only need a 4x4 if your going hardcore offroad, my ute handles the average fire trail with ease. Only i am planning to lower it soon and go the whole minitruck custom ride. But i dont usually shuttle offroad, where i live there is plenty of road access and airbags will sort out the varying ride heights.

jonot

Likes Dirt
DirtFix said:
Only i am planning to lower it soon and go the whole minitruck custom ride. But i dont usually shuttle offroad, where i live there is plenty of road access and airbags will sort out the varying ride heights.
Out of interest, how many dh tracks in the Sunshine Series are paved up to the top?

The minitruck scene seens pretty sweet.. although impractical at times...

Cletus

Likes Dirt
ive had my 04 rodeo 4 door ute for nearly a year now and its fantastic for shuttles. 5 guys and bikes no worries, money well spent;)

jonot

Likes Dirt
ozipacman said:
ive had my 04 rodeo 4 door ute for nearly a year now and its fantastic for shuttles. 5 guys and bikes no worries, money well spent;)
Styleside or Trayside?

SCOB

Likes Dirt
Single Cab with styleside. 7 bikes + 7 people. cops might not like that idea though. works well...

Cletus

Likes Dirt
style side on my ute. i've made a box up that when the tail gate is down just slides in and straps on and i can hang 5 bikes over the back of it and i have tonnes of room for all the other gear we need. i'll try and get some pics;)

doggi

Banned
ute

I have a toyota 2x4 dual cab its great for shutels 5 riders 6/7 bikes.The flat tray alows you to put the bikes in horizontaly where in my case i have the well back, so i have to hang the bikes front wheel and fork over the tail gate.
In my case to stop damage to the bike i hang a old piece of carpet over the tail gate and occy stap the rear wheel to the uite.
Which ute to buy Toyotas are going to be exy for 10 grand you can probaly get an 98 99 modle with 120,000 km but they are good on fuel and toyotas are very reliable.Look for a desiel 2.7 /3.o litre because you will find they feal under powerd.
The other option is a holden rodeo you can find them a lot chepper but they tend to be thursty expesh the v6 modle and the build quaility in my opp isn`t as good as a toyota but are still a very good ute.The toyots seem to have a beter resail value.Good luck, make sure you get the vecial inspected because more oftern than not they have been thrashed by traidies, look for a privatly owend ie family vecial and if you do buy a desiel and it has large hiway km`s it is the same as buying a city vecial with fewer km`s Doggi

Bodin

GMBC
I wouldn't recommend it

I have a '94 Rodeo Spacecab and it's a bit frustrating at time to be able to take heaps of bikes, but only 1 passenger.

What usually happens is that, if there's 5 guys that wanna go somewhere like Buller for the weekend, I get all the bikes and a passenger and the other 3 guys go in someone's car with all the gear.

It's a useful workaround, but if you don't wanna rely on someone else's car, I'd recommend a dual cab.

hubbie

Forever 1,337
saving up for a dualcab 'deo and want to chuck a singlecab tray on it, then build bike mounts in the back

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
hubbie said:
saving up for a dualcab 'deo and want to chuck a singlecab tray on it, then build bike mounts in the back
Wicked! There is a Mazda out my way that has done that. You will have to extend the chassis rails between the cab and rear axle so it all lines up with the wheel arches on the tray but once done they look sweet and are way more practical for shuttling. Rodeos on the other hand are a bit harder to work on than the Toyota but thats just my opinion.

jonot

Likes Dirt
DirtFix said:
Wicked! There is a Mazda out my way that has done that. You will have to extend the chassis rails between the cab and rear axle so it all lines up with the wheel arches on the tray but once done they look sweet and are way more practical for shuttling. Rodeos on the other hand are a bit harder to work on than the Toyota but thats just my opinion.
I considered doing this but thought about the logistics of it...

So it is possible to do?

Do you just buy an old tray or are there companies that make aftermarket (lol ricer) trays for them?

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
notl337 said:
I considered doing this but thought about the logistics of it...

So it is possible to do?

Do you just buy an old tray or are there companies that make aftermarket (lol ricer) trays for them?
You can do it but it must be engineered as you are cutting the chassis rails and extending them. Unless you know some people it can get pretty expensive. You are better off just looking around for a second hand tray in decent condition and fix it up. I am pretty sure you could get an aftermarket one but they are not as good.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I would ditch the styleside and just get a custom flat tray made - much cheaper than modifying chassie rails etc (esp. with the associated engineering/compliance costs)