sore " boys " after road rides

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
Gday,

ok ive just about had it with my road bike. after every ride at the moment, it seems like my boys ( nads , balls, happy sack, testies whatever you would like to call them) just ache for like a day after. im not doing long rides at the moment, mostly topping out at about 2 hour training stints. I normally wear good quality (cannibal) knicks on all rides.

ive tried 3 different saddles, all cause me pain. a Lemond saddle that came stock with my bike, a Specialized body geometry one, and my latest try, a Fizik Arione. the arione, is probably the best so far, its comfortable, but i still get the pain and im getting worried that im doing permanent damage

i know common complaint is the perenium going numb, but ive never really had that at all.

Recently i had the bike fitted to me, and the fitting is great, however the saddle seems to have a slight up angle which may be causing the issues. ill lower it again tonite (times like this it would be handy to have a spirit level).

failing that, can anyone suggest anything?

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
dude,

i was going to suggest set-up but you seem to have looked at that...seats dont tend to tip up, if anything dead flat or slightly down if using a aero/triathlon position

your also trying decent seats like the fizik..

i spent last year training for IM and was spending sunday as 6 plus hours on the bike at once, no problems,

sorry not much help..

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Do you get the same problem if you road ride the cannondale for two hours?

I used to suffer numbness when commuting to work but never did when commuting on the MTB. I setup my commuter (flatbar roadie) seat height + angle, body angle etc as close to the MTB and now I have no problem.

I understand my solution is not an exact thing as the frames etc all have different geometries etc, but I am happy that my solution worked.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
the other thing i meant to mention....

you said cannibal knicks...

they dont rate that well these days in terms of quality...

whilst my tri club are sponsored by this brand, in recent years their knicks have really gone crap in the quality...however the shirts are pretty good...

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
Mo - have been about a 6 months ago and all was OK. 1 side issue could be that the GP and my GF have commented that i have " larger than normal " boys... this may be an issue with them getting bumped around.

Shrek - im thinking that its a not level seat issue. i looked at it when i had the setup done and it occured to me that it was not quite level, withthe nose on a shight up angle.. i went to the bike shop today and spoke to the guy that did it and he said to give it an ever so slight dip to the front and it should be OK. if i have concerns he said to bring it back...

Ebuk - the cannondale, yes and no. example, i rode the oaks back and forwards the tuesday after chrissie ( took at 4 hours, we were taking it easy) and while i went though about a 10 minute period of discomfort early during the ride, there was no issues like this afterwoods. that was a lot longer than any road ride that i do. the reason i got a fizik saddle for the roadie was that there is one similar on the rush and i can tend to ride it for long itmes without a lot of discomfort.

Shrek - ill take that into consideration, also, i think that maybee my knicks are slightly on the smaller side, and may be a tiny bit too tight, so i may try a larger pair.

krisko

Likes Dirt
This may sound funny but you know what happens when you just come out of a cold shower.....ie: Your 'boys' shrink up. I think you need to try to cool down the fellas.

Maybe try getting back to basics and not wearing knicks with chamois and instead substituting for some good ventilated, seamless undies?

BTW reading this gave me a good laugh, all the best and good luck

ebuk

Likes Dirt
hdtvkss said:
Mo

Ebuk - the cannondale, yes and no. example, i rode the oaks back and forwards the tuesday after chrissie ( took at 4 hours, we were taking it easy) and while i went though about a 10 minute period of discomfort early during the ride, there was no issues like this afterwoods. that was a lot longer than any road ride that i do. the reason i got a fizik saddle for the roadie was that there is one similar on the rush and i can tend to ride it for long itmes without a lot of discomfort.
Yes but do you have the same problem when riding the cannondale on the road? I found mountain biking to be much more up out of the saddle, sit down, up out of saddle, sit down etc etc, due to the terrain and nature of the riding, whereas road riding I find is much more along the lines of 2 hours sitting in the saddle.

bazza

look at me
i find if i am squashing my boys i tip the seat back a little bit. this stops me from sort of angling down the saddle and squashing them. sounds crazy but it works. keeps my ass in place and doesnt put undue downward pressure on them.

freeride_sweet

Likes Dirt
thought i might bring this back to the top again, cause ive found the solution, well its worked for me, get one of the seats with the cut out grove down the middle, or the selle italia seats with the nice big gel spot in the middle, got one today and my problems are gone, happy man:)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
^^^ agreed, i actually have a Fi'Zi:k arione saddle on my roadie, and tho it looks scary as, they have a really nice flex system in them that makes the saddle really soft - no pain issues at all.. i find it helps to invest in a good saddle, they can make or break the satisfaction of your ride!

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
It was definatley the Fizik seat that was causing me issues. bike shop was very surprised as a lot of people there ride them with no such complaints. for me, it just isnt the go. i have gone back to a specialized rival MTB seat, not idea but it is a lot better than the Fizik was. no sore boys, just a slightly sore ass! :eek:

freeride_sweet

Likes Dirt
hdtvkss said:
It was definatley the Fizik seat that was causing me issues. bike shop was very surprised as a lot of people there ride them with no such complaints. for me, it just isnt the go. i have gone back to a specialized rival MTB seat, not idea but it is a lot better than the Fizik was. no sore boys, just a slightly sore ass! :eek:
i know a few people who use mtb seats of their roadie's, but their also out their training 4 other sports, it u can get a comfortable road seat that would be better, but my lbs has some new set that im trying out soon, some new flex system, ill let u know how that goes, but their not cheap about $230

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
its probably the seat that i tried, the Fizik has whats called a " wing flex" system, whatever that means. sure didnt help me ;) but i have to admit its not too bad on the MTB.... the MTB seat is wider across the front though, which i think is the big issue for me and my comfort.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
hdtvkss said:
its probably the seat that i tried, the Fizik has whats called a " wing flex" system, whatever that means. sure didnt help me ;) but i have to admit its not too bad on the MTB.... the MTB seat is wider across the front though, which i think is the big issue for me and my comfort.
im amazed that you found the arione to be what was giving you the problems!
i find it to to be THE single most comfortable saddle if ridden... but everyone is diferent, hey? hope you have found a good alternative!