Something that won't break

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
My Nomad pedals up sufficiently well and handles down competently, but I'd never subject it to a ten foot drop. And I've ridden it at 16kg more than the OP (now the same as OP). For that kind of riding I think you need a different bike, one that will not pedal up so well. I can tell you from experience there is little substitute for miles in your legs when it comes to losing a few kegs and getting more enjoyment from your riding, so you will want something that rides up from time to time. You chose a good bike, just ride it as it was intended.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As another corpulent fellow I have had the same Ellsworth Moment since 2004 with not so much as a creak out of the frame.
I don't hit the big stuff on it anymore but it has stood the test of time quite well. The same can't be said for a number of other bikes including some of my favourite brands.

mjb123

Likes Bikes
Where abouts are you breaking the frame?

Ive got a SB66 and havent had problems yet (im a lightweight at 75kg though), just wouldnt mind knowing which part is breaking. Also - what shock are you running on it?
I have a standard RP23 on it. First failure was on the chain stay whilst the second was of the black swing link. Both replaced quickly by Yeti, no questions asked.

mjb123

Likes Bikes
My Nomad pedals up sufficiently well and handles down competently, but I'd never subject it to a ten foot drop. And I've ridden it at 16kg more than the OP (now the same as OP). For that kind of riding I think you need a different bike, one that will not pedal up so well. I can tell you from experience there is little substitute for miles in your legs when it comes to losing a few kegs and getting more enjoyment from your riding, so you will want something that rides up from time to time. You chose a good bike, just ride it as it was intended.
Thats the thing. I don't consider my riding overly hard. I suffer up the hills so I can make the most of the down. 3ft drops would be about it for me, any everything else has a down ramp to soften the landing.

Other than the jumps I would consider most of my riding to just be general trail riding, with the downhill sections hit as fast as I can.

For reference in ~15 years of riding, including DH early on, I have never trashed a wheel (small tweaks, but who hasn't), have bent a seats rails, and broke a bottom bracket when they used to be square taper.

I may just be having a bad run, but to be honest I am over it and just want something I can ride. The carbon Nomad looks the business and I was very close to pulling the trigger until my carbon bars snapped, albeit on a jump that I completely stuffed up...

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
I misread your 10 foot jump as a 10 foot drop. Seems fine and normal use then. I think the aluminum Nomad is lighter than the carbon, not to mention cheaper. And has so far proven strong enough. Although the yeti may pedal slightly better? If they are giving you new frames I'd support that as much as possible, although I know how frustrating it is not simply having a good bike there to ride reliably when that is all
You want to do.

HEC

Likes Bikes
Santa Cruz Bullit

I am selling my bullit in the for sale section if you're interested [sneeky plug :)].
It's a medium frame which should be good for anybody 170-185cm, built like a brick, just over 16kg's.
You could have a whole bike for the price of one new frame (many spare parts).

If your keen...

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Hey mate any details on the cromo all mountain frame, hope its a high single pivot
Brooklyn SR6 if you want high single pivot cromo, or that custom place in USA begins with P I think.
The AM Army will hopefully be a great bike but.
Or hold out for the AM Zerode, but not sure how long you'll be waiting for that.
Maybe consider short shocking a DH bike. Or try find a mint Sunday or something, 8" and light that pedals well.

rone

Eats Squid
Other than the jumps I would consider most of my riding to just be general trail riding, with the downhill sections hit as fast as I can.
Consider a Turner 5.Spot. I am yet to ride an AM bike that climbs as well, and it you 'over fork' it with a 160mm, they descend brilliantly too. Beefy build, sensible gussets, and bushings instead of bearings in the linkages. It is the best adaptation of the DW link in my opinion. They're a bit porky (mine is 14.8kg with a dropper) but the weight disappears when you start to pedal.

I'm 100kg and when I was looking for a frame as a long-term ownership prospect. I did some time on an SB66 and have owned a Tracer VP, and neither felt as solid as my 5.Spot.

mjb123

Likes Bikes
Or hold out for the AM Zerode, but not sure how long you'll be waiting for that.
Now you're talking.

How long might I be waiting for?

The look of a Zerode does it for me, and given that an AM bike would have a DH pedigree, it should be up to the task.

TimCz83

Likes Dirt
What about a pivot firebird? A friend of mine rides one with a fair bit of punishment (he previously has broken his tracer) and it seems to stack up fairly well.

His pedals very well in my opinion, considering he is running a 180mm front on it.

Or what about a mojo hd? Brian lopes and andrew whiteford abuse those things on some massive jumps and drops and they get rave reviews? Lopes I think even won the crankworx air dh on a mojo.

Last edited:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any of the new carbon bikes should be more than strong enough.

- Ibis Mojo HD
- Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
- Transition Covert Carbon
- Yeti SB66 Carbon

etc etc