Some ride advice for a Tassie first-timer please, :)

Chieftain

Likes Bikes
Hi kind fellow Farkinites,

Am gonna be based in Hobart at a mate's for 12 days with pretty much nothing planned and hoping for some riding advice.

Glenorchy sounds like a nice place to hit. Also, i know it sounds abit lame/commercial, but i'm interested to do the Mt Wellington shuttle up-ride down too.

Anywhere else around Hobart i can go have a look-see?

Also, help with choice of weaponry would be appreciated.

1. Arriving late Nov till mid-Dec, so what kind of tyres would be good for the weather then?
2. 5" All-mountain bike or would my 7" dual-ring freeride bike be worth the lug onto the plane?

Thanks heaps in advance.
:)

-Oh. Will have access to a car for only maybe 4-5 days out of the 12.

juliancantride

Likes Dirt
Hi kind fellow Farkinites,

Am gonna be based in Hobart at a mate's for 12 days with pretty much nothing planned and hoping for some riding advice.

Glenorchy sounds like a nice place to hit. Also, i know it sounds abit lame/commercial, but i'm interested to do the Mt Wellington shuttle up-ride down too.

Anywhere else around Hobart i can go have a look-see?

Also, help with choice of weaponry would be appreciated.

1. Arriving late Nov till mid-Dec, so what kind of tyres would be good for the weather then?
2. 5" All-mountain bike or would my 7" dual-ring freeride bike be worth the lug onto the plane?

Thanks heaps in advance.
:)

-Oh. Will have access to a car for only maybe 4-5 days out of the 12.
Personally I would take the 5" all mountain bike, there are some sweet cross country trails at Glenorchy MTB park, Mt.Wellington trails are definetly worth checking out, they are mostly rocky with some technical stuff, only 3 or 3 are aimed at freeriding. Only takes about an hour and a half to ride up to some of the trails which is also quite fun(you'll need to get a map though).

Most of the trails in Tassie are generally quite loose and rocky, so you should bring some tyres to suit those conditions. Weather is usually sunny in summer but with Tassie you never now, once it rained so hard in summer, half the houses around my neighbourhood were flooded.