Some new bike advice

Wiz5477

Squid
Hi all. I am new to DH and have borrowed a bike for my first couple of outings. So with the addiction kicking in, I am in the market for a DH rig to add to the fleet.

So here is the question I pose to you all. I have about $2k to spend however, do I blow the lot on as new a bike as I can get or do I go for something a bit older and save some cash for the inevitable broken parts that I will probably need to replace?

tbass

Likes Bikes
Include money in your budget for some gear like helmet, gloves and knee/shins and then spend the rest on the best second hand bike you cen get. High quality used components should be as good/better than cheap new stuff so you hopefully wont be breaking much anyway, but just keep saving so when something does need replacing down the line you have the money.

T.

moorey

call me Mia
If you have $2k for bike alone, generally i'd push the SH line, but hit up some local shops for run out models....theres some serious bargains out there. Research the best deals, local or OS, they take your findings to your LBS. Any sale is better for them than no sale, and hopefully they can count on your ongoing custom for servicing and parts if they have looked after you.

inJeans

Squid
I'd agree with second hand. My buddy and I had a similar budget. He bought new, I bought second hand. He's always looking at my forks with envy :wink:

Last edited:

Wiz5477

Squid
Thanks for the feedback folks, it is appreciated.

I am happy to say that i secured a great second hand bike today and I am anxiously awaiting it arrival. Got a good price on it and will have enough money to get myself kitted out.

Wiz5477

Squid
Picked up an ironhorse Sunday. Three others that I ride with own them and I have done a couple of runs on them so I felt comfortable with buying the bike. As a newbie to DH I don't have anything to really compare with so it will be what I get used to for now.

Just ordered all my protective gear so pretty excited to get riding