So, How do i make it lighter?

norco01

Likes Dirt
New(first) road bike comes next week. 2008 specialized allez elite.

I'll have about $150 left after i buy shoes and nicks, was wondering what would be the easiest way to lose a bit of weight.

spec list is here>

STEM
Specialized Comp-Set, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt 31.8mm bar clamp, 4-position adjustable
HANDLEBARS
Specialized Expert, 6061 alloy, short-reach drop, ergonomic top shaping, 31.8mm
TAPE/GRIPS
Body Geometry Bar Phat, cork ribbon w/ 2.5mm gel padding
FRONT BRAKE
Ultralight dual pivot brakes, Teflon pivots, forged alloy w/ cartridge pads
REAR BRAKE
Ultralight dual pivot brakes, Teflon pivots, forged alloy w/ cartridge pads
BRAKE LEVERS
Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed STI
FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano Tiagra, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pull
REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano 105, short cage
SHIFT LEVERS
Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed STI, flight deck compatible
CASSETTE FREEWHEEL
SRAM PG-950, 9-speed 11-28t
CHAIN
Shimano HG73, 9-speed
CRANKSET
Shimano Tiagra, 2-piece crankset
CHAINRINGS
50x34T
BOTTOM BRACKET
Sugino integrated, exterior cartridge bearings, alloy
PEDALS
Composite body, alloy cage w/ toe clips and straps
RIMS
Jalco Dynamics 270, alloy triple wall, machined sidewalls w/ indicator grooves
FRONT HUB
Specialized forged alloy, 24 hole, double sealed bearings, straight pull spokes, QR
REAR HUB
Specialized forged alloy, 28 hole, double sealed bearings, straight pull spokes, cassette, QR
SPOKES
Stainless 14g, straight-pull
FRONT TIRE
Specialized Mondo Pro, 700x23C, aramid bead, 120TPI, Flak Jacket
REAR TIRE
Specialized Mondo Pro, 700x23C, aramid bead, 120TPI, Flak Jacket
TUBES
Specialized standard presta tube
SADDLE
Specialized Alias, carbon reinforced base, microfiber cover
SEAT POST
Specialized Pavé II, FACT carbon w/ Zertz insert, aluminum head, 27.2mm
SEAT BINDER
Specialized CNC, alloy, 31.8mm clamp

I know wheels should be first on the agenda, but they will be coming at christmas time, so anything in particular i should be looking at in the mean time?

Also, can anyone tell me what this "zertz insert" is i keep seeing?

lewis

akashra

Eats Squid
So, How do i make it lighter?
My immediate response in my head when I first read this was "do what Wonthaggi [Secondary College] used to do with their HPVs: Drill holes in the chassis.
However I'm not entirely sure this would help the structural integrity.

Anyway, wheels are probably the best way to save weight first (because they're rotational weight), though cassettes can save quite a bit and are consumable anyway, so you can upgrade next time it wears out.

I would advise you weigh the wheels individually and see if it's worth attempting to save there.

norco01

Likes Dirt
My immediate response in my head when I first read this was "do what Wonthaggi [Secondary College] used to do with their HPVs: Drill holes in the chassis.
However I'm not entirely sure this would help the structural integrity.

Anyway, wheels are probably the best way to save weight first (because they're rotational weight), though cassettes can save quite a bit and are consumable anyway, so you can upgrade next time it wears out.

I would advise you weigh the wheels individually and see if it's worth attempting to save there.
Yes, i know wheels are a major thing. But as i said, they're coming at christmas time, im looking for anything to change between now and then.

Will look into cassettes though, thanks.

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
I'll have about $150 left after i buy shoes and nicks, was wondering what would be the easiest way to lose a bit of weight.
lewis
My wife immediately suggested 'eat healthy and exercise'.. but with $150 dollars there's not alot you can replace that will help lighten the bike up.

Save and upgrade the stem, bars and maybe your running gear (cassette, gears, chain etc).

The zertz inserts are the gel bits in your rear stays, forks(?) and seat post. Supposed to help minimise road vibrations.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The best way would be for you to lose weight if possible, whats the total weight of the bike?

As for your zertz question they act like the spring damper in a tennis racket reducing vibration.

norco01

Likes Dirt
My wife immediately suggested 'eat healthy and exercise'.. but with $150 dollars there's not alot you can replace that will help lighten the bike up.

Save and upgrade the stem, bars and maybe your running gear (cassette, gears, chain etc).

The zertz inserts are the gel bits in your rear stays, forks(?) and seat post. Supposed to help minimise road vibrations.
The best way would be for you to lose weight if possible, whats the total weight of the bike?

As for your zertz question they act like the spring damper in a tennis racket reducing vibration.
I don't need to lose weight myself. Im only 16, and im pretty fit, so that's out of the question :p

But thanks for answering the zertz question. I guess ill just put the 150 towards a better wheelset at christmas time!

AiDeN J

Likes Dirt
The place to loose the weight is the wheels you really cant do SFA with $150. Just think about it though that is the part that you are using your legs to push around to propel you forwards and if they are lighter it is easier to push.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Tyres, a pair of Schwalbe Ultremo or similar with lightweight tubes.
Ditto. You'll feel the difference most with that. $150 will give you some great choices of pretty lightweight tires and tubes, and it's also the outermost part of the wheel, thereby contributing strongest to the rotational weight of your wheels.

Make those lighter, and $150 is a good amount to play with for that, and you'll probably feel the most difference.

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
Put the $150 into the fund that is buying shoes and knicks and buy better quality shoes or another pair of knicks. Better gear = more comfortable ride = more miles on the bike = best weight reduction available.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If OP is asking how to make his bike lighter, why do so many say to lose weight himself?

The end result is that you're still better off. Ie you replace a part(s) for $150 and the bike is eg 100g lighter. If you lose 2kg bodyweight, your total loss is 2.1kg. If you hadn't replaced the part, you've only lost the 2kg.

Not everyone rides to lose weight.

Ozza

Eats Squid
What annoys me with a certain group of roadies is they spend rediculous amounts of money on there bikes to make them as light as possible (performance related) yet they have terrible aero dynamics.

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
If OP is asking how to make his bike lighter, why do so many say to lose weight himself?

The end result is that you're still better off. Ie you replace a part(s) for $150 and the bike is eg 100g lighter. If you lose 2kg bodyweight, your total loss is 2.1kg. If you hadn't replaced the part, you've only lost the 2kg.

Not everyone rides to lose weight.
My suggestion was not that he should lose weight directly, but being 16, and having $150 to spend, he should put that money where it is going to do the most good. A well set-up, comfortable ride will be more advantageous than titanium stem-bolts. Any weight loss would be a consequence of more happy road miles.

There's nothing realistically that will make a significant weight change for $150. People can talk about saving 100g, but then they put a 60,000g rider onto that bike.

If those kind of weight savings are all that is holding you back as a rider, then you should probably be negotiating a pro-contract. The rest of us just need to ride more.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A well set-up, comfortable ride will be more advantageous than titanium stem-bolts.
I don't disagree with your ideas, but again you're assuming that the bike isn't setup optimally at the moment.

I took my 14.8kg mtb down to 13.8kg in small increments. Nothing drastic like pricey wheels or a new frame, but just in small 100g increments here and there. Separately they aren't substantial, but collectively they make a noticeable difference.

For me (and maybe others), losing bike weight means being able to enjoy your rides more because (especially offroad) the bike is more nimble, but eg hills become less of a hindrance. To give an extreme example, if one was to ride a 20kg bike, you'd obtain more fitness benefits for a given distance of riding, but you just wouldn't bother because it would suck.

Cedel

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New(first) road bike comes next week. 2008 specialized allez elite.

It's about the ride not the wait.

Ohhhhh, I just went all Lorday on y'all!

kjparker

Likes Dirt
Take the gears off? Single speed FTW! :)

j/k

as others have said, with $150 there's not a huge amount you can do.

mushroom

Likes Dirt
I agree with tyres and tubes. Good tyres will go faster and grip better, as well as being lighter at the most crucial point of the wheel for weight.

Remeber you'll need to budget a little bit for cleats too, unless they're included with the pedals.

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
CP, the small increments idea definitely has merits (how can I argue when I'm doing that myself), but it's an expensive exercise. My advice was simply to get a good foundation first, then spend all your disposable income on carbon and titanium. I'd assumed the bike was 2nd hand from the pic. A good fit with correct saddle height and stem height/length can go along way, especially on those yet-to-be-fully-developed knees.

Norco01, if you want to lose some weight off the bike, go for it mate. I'd be interested to know what wheels you're looking at; a custom build, or something like a set of magnesium alloy American Classics, or some Zipps?

norco01

Likes Dirt
, or some Zipps?
I can dream!

They arent going to be nice race wheels, thats for sure. Im only 16 with a part time job, im not about to fork out for wheels worth more than the bike was. I was thinking something like ultegra hubs on some sort of rim.

im open to suggestions on wheels though, or rims. Wheels around $600, probably bought from the UK ie chainreaction or the like.