snapped bolt in star nut

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how do i take out a topcap bolt that snapped in the star nut?

sikpuppyonglory

Likes Dirt
just replace it with a new star nut, punch the existing one out of you steerer tube with a long pipe (or old xc flat handlebars) these do work well, replace with new star nut (costs probably no more than $5) then punch it down carefully into the steerer tube trying not to destroy it or if you don't feel confident doing so, your lbs will do it for probably nothing. :)

bazza

look at me
just replace it with a new star nut, punch the existing one out of you steerer tube with a long pipe (or old xc flat handlebars) these do work well, replace with new star nut (costs probably no more than $5) then punch it down carefully into the steerer tube trying not to destroy it or if you don't feel confident doing so, your lbs will do it for probably nothing. :)
i hate doing this job. so annoying especially when it gets jammed.

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
where has it snapped? is it possible to twist it out somehow? (this will mean you only have to replace the bolt..)

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Once I had a star nut that was too close to the top of the steerer. So when I tightened the bolt I ran out of thread. The problem was I could not get the thread to engage to unwind it. I had a bolt that was stuck in the steerer and freely turning both clockwise and anti clockwise.

This doesen't help you but it was a pain in the arse. Just bump your old starnut out through the steerer and put in a new one.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it snapped flush at where the bolt tightens in the star nut.
i'll get myself another starnut.
cheers

tu plang

knob
depending on the steerer tube, it may be a lot easier to drill out the old start nut. infact... regardless of the steerer it'll be easier.