Smiths Gully, Vic

clintbtt

Likes Bikes
Smiths gully trails

Does anyone know about the wooden crate path put down when you turn off Motschalls road? Its over the really boggy part before the climb to Clintons road. I was there today and someone has taken them all off, during the wettest part of the year too.

tumble_downs

Likes Dirt
I noticed that last time I rode there 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure why anyone would bother removing it - the track will only get worse as a result.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Yes it was a horse rider, the only rude local I've come across in over 10 years riding there, I know who she is and have advised local influencers. This horse rider claimed she built the trail first up many years ago, I advised she was the 10th person to tell me that so she must have been part of a team, which I know she was. She is quite vocal I am told but is one of the few horse riders that actually contribute, our problem is she doesn't like anything that gets in her horse's way. She had the audacity to challenge why we used pallets and did not purchase more suitable wood to carry the weight of a horse. WTF? SO that is what we are dealing with. She stated we put the horses into the boggy section and made it nice for mtbkrs, we actually considered the horses as could be seen by the room we left on the side and I did see her negotiate without issue.

It was our crew that put those bridges in, in pi55ing rain, we carried pallets in, cut them up with chainsaws, rerouted the water by cutting in channels and also put all the rocks in the entry point up the hill to stop erosion, that effort took almost 6 hours. Then the whipper snippering took me 8hrs to complete 3/4 of it and my mate did the final bit over another 3 hrs himself. We've also built much of the tracks and cleared pretty much most of what is out there since last Winter.

We are in the process of fixing those bridges which have been thrown in the long grass just next to that area. This horse rider also removed the rocks at entry point if you note only the ones on the flat remain.

Now our crew is one of 3 main different crews (I know of) that have been doing stuff out there for years and like many areas there are only a handful of us donating our time to keep the trails nice. Since last Winter alone I have done over 40 hrs of maintenance and building, my mates have done equally as much.

The area through Boomers too was cleaned by us and I could go on, but one thing is agreed we all love the area.

What makes it difficult in an area this large is people putting up maps in public in areas where anyone can get on. Whilst more mtbkrs is good it needs to be balanced by consideration for sustainability of an area. Just have a look at YY and Lysty, they have funding, dedicated groups to build and maintain trails and both are closed, also look at Yarra Trails, there was no change to them for some 20+ years, then people put maps up in 2008 and now they are stuffed as too few do maintenance. By all means hand out maps to your mates or pm but advertising online may hurt an area. That is just my 20 cents worth, in the end we all do what we want.

If any one here is serious about helping out pm me and I will inclued you in our next working session. We aim to build and maintain for sustainability following proper stds, but we don't publicise that we're doing work.

I just thought I'd let you know things haven't happened by magic out there.

Hope you like the 'marsben' trail we put in on the 2nd half of 2010, and if you think it is hard, it is supposed to be that way and is built to be ridden up not down. we've also mapped out 'parker's' loop off the top of that which should be done soon.

There is more fun to be made out there.

Last edited:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep up the good work mars mtb. It is appreciated. I have my own area that I work in and I know the effort it takes to maintain it. I've probably done over 100 hours myself (but not on my own) since the wet weather started last year.

Smith's Gully will always have problems with horses due the the sheer number of riders and bridle trails out there. I've seen the damage they can cause.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The "Marsben" trail is a great climb. Some of those switchbacks took a couple of tries. Good stuff!

I wish someone had told us we weren't meant to try descend it...

Anyway, your efforts are hugely appreciated. I don't ride Smiths as often as I'd like but I know enough to understand that trails don't happen by magic.

CHeers, J

tumble_downs

Likes Dirt
You've got me fascinated now - which are the Marsben and Parkers' loops? I may already be riding them - maybe not. Good work anyway. I'm kind of local and would be keen to help with any trail work in the future. I'll PM you with details.

Larabeemax

Likes Bikes
Bravo Mars

Phenomenal work out there Mars and also agree that posting Garmin files on forums is not really appropriate given the types of trails we are on. I know some will disagree but Mars makes a good point - these trails simply don't get the maintenance required to support a massive population of MTBers.

Marsben is one of my faves, but it has some good competition out there.

Brad

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback but I must say we had a big crew working over 3 mths to do the marsben, there were 12 of us that contributed and the biggest day I think we had about 8 of us, so credit must be shared as I am one of many. The total nmbr of guys (inc. girls and a little 7yo kid too) for all stuff is approx 15 that we call on, so any extras will be most appreciated. Add in the other crews and you can see how long things take to make. Funny story, after 8+ hrs of whipper snippering I actually lost feeling in my right arm for a few weeks from hold the thing without a shoulder strap. I could say youthful exuberance but I am too old to use that card any longer, it is funny tho.

Also some of the other stuff there is beautiful, I'll call him mick, he built the midden and the orchid trails and the new one going up over the creek near the concrete slab at the bottom of happy valley that then joins back onto the bottom part of the midden. He has a beautiful eye for trails me thinks, top bloke too.

Pretty much anything you've seen maintained, cleaned, built recently is stuff that goes in waves. By that I mean certain groups will get windows to do much work, and pump out stuff for a few years, then circumstances change and some one else helps out in a new group or spin off as they will now take over. It seems like that is what is starting to happen at SG, which is awesome.

Just when you think what else can I buy for my bike, we now also think what new tools can I buy to help with trails building, it never ends, but we have some extra tools if you havent built before and want to help. Next update is when the next wet comes we need to build some berms to help climb the marsben in the off camber switchback areas so keep things sustainable and not push the erosion line.

For years we would say nothing on forums re SG but the beast is growing so I had to pipe up and am wrapped you guys have the same thoughts exactly.

For tumble_downs, have pm'd detail for you.

great work mars.

Smiths Gully is where I head to most for riding. I find that after a week of sitting at my computer 4 hours riding out there soothes the soul.

I've lived in the area on and off for about 3 years and totally love the bush there.

I'd love to help out next time you've got a working bee on.

Cheers

clintbtt

Likes Bikes
pallet bridge

Great job with all the work.
I remember seeing the pallets there months ago, and when last time I rode there (my last post) I was shocked to see them off. Well, I threw them back on the same day, sorry if they were out of order but meh! They're back on now. You're right with the side clearance, there was heaps for the horses.
I took photos before they were removed and attached if anyone is wondering what the go is.
This rider must be a big chick, cos I'm not a small guy and they had a bit of weight in them.
I'm always up for a bit of work. Let me know when the next build session is, I'm there.

Attachments

I would also love to help maintain the tracks, I havent ridin out there yet bcoz I didnt know how to get there, I live in the Templestowe area and am new to this neck of the woods so all I have ridin is the Yarra Tracks and I think they are a little flat for my liking, fun but a bit flat.

clintbtt

Likes Bikes
Smiths gully ride.

Hey Matt.
I'm thinking of heading up there this saturday arvo if you want to come up for a ride. Im not too far from westerfolds if you want to drive up in convoy. I'm not the fastest rider, but it's a good ride anyway.
I'm thinking arrive at the general store by 2 ish.
Let me know

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

I am back from couple months holidaying and riding o/s so getting back into things.

Some of the locals (rider trail builders) have contacted me and are cracking it as trail works have been done to existing trails such as Midden and Orchid with the addition of berms, new lines, logs in places impacting flow negative etc, all adding to potential track deterioration and erosion. (also examples of going into private land).

It is apparant that whoever has been doing these works does have their heart in the right place and is trying to be proactive and give back to the area, unfortunately there is an art and science to sustainable trail building and this isn't it.

A couple of locals have even taken to writing up an A4 please don't do it or go away spiel, and pinned it near the tracks, this is their advice of frustration coming out. If you know who has been doing these changes to existing tracks please ask them to refrain.

I will pm the guys who pm'd me a few mths back to give you a heads up on some stuff and hopefully to get together and ride out there too :clap2:

Regards, Mars.

DH danny

Squid
i want to help!

Hi mars, i have been riding and doing a little maintenence work in the area for about 3 years, i live in panton hill and have VERY strong connection with the local council, in the youth and trails areas. i am so keen to digh with somebody else helping out around the area PLEASE send me a message whenever you want to build i am desperate to help out these trails which i first rode when i was about 6. thanks.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hi DH danny, sorry for late reply, been crazy at work and home.

I am sourcing contact details of one of the local brethren so you can hook in with them and will arrange for you to meet as it will be easier as you live there.

Give me a couple days.

Mars.

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
FYI I was riding Smiths Gully from Watsons Creek today and watched Mr Plod on his brand new unmarked BMW motorbike feeding the State Gov revenue office multiple times. Watch your speed ! ! !