Smiths Gully, Vic

SteveG

Likes Bikes
Does anyone have a decent map of te trails around smiths gully?
I've been there a few times and am struggling with where all the trails go.

Beej1

Does anyone have a decent map of te trails around smiths gully?
I've been there a few times and am struggling with where all the trails go.
I learnt all the trails out there from riding with Hud (from here) and others. I found it pretty easy to remember once I'd ridden it once, but my friends struggle a little. I don't know if they have bad trail-memory or I have good.

On MTBR in the Australia forum, you'll see a St Andrews thread. Trawl through that and you might get some directions (i've listed some once or twice) but you're better off looking in the same thread for organised rides.

Hilly stuff out there - it is the best riding to be had within 40km of the city I say.

Oh and in answer to your question - no maps of the trails we ride. ORCA had a book that listed one ride out there that incorporates a small portion of trail we use to get to much better ST hidden out there.

SteveG

Likes Bikes
Thanks.
I've been out there with friends twice, but was following them and struggled to get my bearings, went out yesterday and found good single track, but got thoroughly turned around and when I finally decided to head back on one of the roads almost headed towards yarra glen rather than back to smith's gully. Luckily I met a friendly dog walker who gave me directions.

DH danny

Squid
map

i rode the smiths gully trails for the first time when i was about 7 on a 16inch kids bike so by now i pretty much have most of the area memorised and i also have a large map.

Beej1

i rode the smiths gully trails for the first time when i was about 7 on a 16inch kids bike so by now i pretty much have most of the area memorised and i also have a large map.
Any good DH tracks out there that we don't know of, DH Danny?

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
So if I drive up to Smiths Gully From Melbourne, I take the Kangaroo Ground St Andrews Road? Once at Smiths Gully how do I find the trails or the best place to access the trails? I've been heading up to the Youies and the Wombat Track for my riding and looking for some trails to ride a bit closer to home.

SteveG

Likes Bikes
You park beside the smiths gully shop. If you take smiths gully road, using the dirt path on the right, after about 50 m you follow it through the fence and follow the single track, after that, as I said, I got a little lost and just keep following single track and occasional roads as necessary till I was completely mixed up. Lots of good single track though

DH danny

Squid
there are no DH tracks as such but you can pin down some of the roads around the area that have singletrack on the side.

DH danny

Squid
If you take smiths gully road, using the dirt path on the right, after about 50 m you follow it through the fence and follow the single track,
after that you head up the road that you're on and get to the boomers reserve track and at the bottom of there there is a huge puddle and further on you get to the bottom of long gully road and after that there is endless possibilities. our jumps are 200m down the road even. me and my mate who is known here as Gagina have just started building.

Gagina

Squid
i know some tracks

i know some tracks in boomers reserve DH danny and i ride them all of the time there is a killer berm dug up out of a dam near my house and there is a couple of really steep hills. i ride bmx myself but im thinking about buying a DH bike soon.

Beej1

i know some tracks in boomers reserve DH danny and i ride them all of the time there is a killer berm dug up out of a dam near my house and there is a couple of really steep hills.
Are you talking about the one which afterwards throws you out into a clearing before heading down to a creek crossing? Good fun that one. Waldog and I took some pics there one day

After crossing that creek, we climb up a little on the other side, before hitting single track all the way to the 5-ways incorporating Long Gully Rd (as mentioned above, you pass a great big puddle). From here if you turn hard left up Broadacres Rd there is singletrack at first through the pines on the left, then crossing left to right side of road all the way to Clintons. Head East on Clintons, singletrack on right side of road, past the Equestrian centre, then ST crosses to left side of road, then onto the road itself up to the corner of Clintons & Rob Roy. Get some speed up as you approach, be careful of cars coming around the corner, and hit the little climb up onto the embankment on the inside of the corner, past the dog skull, and follow this awesome bit of ST (we call the Motchalls Descent) all the way down to Motchalls Rd proper.

From here, right takes you back to 5-Ways where you can hit up the Bunjil trails (which are best done above when you first get to 5-ways), and left takes you to the Gills Rd track down to E-YG road, which can take you to Rob Roy trails (awesome), and the infamous Ridge Rd track (awesomer).

Ridge Rd & Motchalls are 2 of my favourite bits of trails in Melbourne for hammering downhill.

Miles & miles of both bushland ST and roadside ST all around these parts. Many ways of incorporating it all into tailor made loops of varying levels of difficulty.

I have ridden, but do not remember the details of, trails heading all the way to Yarra Ridge & back. Some guys on the MTBR forum I mentioned above are trying to incorporate a link to Warrandyte, and another to Greensborough.

Best bet is to hang out in that forum and see what develops.

Hud

Likes Dirt
I believe there is some dirt jumps just off Long gully road. Head along LG road and just before you cross the bridge and go up steep they are off to the left. I just don't know how to access them.
Not that I want to...

As for the trails in the area it's a shame that moto's are starting to ride some of them.
How GREEN is it out there at the moment!

Beej1

Thanks nuclear_powered, i've just moved to the area and can't wait to hit the trails!!!
Best way to experience it is part of an organised ride. If you're uber-fit, try and hook up with Cowpat or Hud. If you're below that, I'll be trying to get out that way on weekends between now and OO100.

Hud

Likes Dirt
We can do up to 45km of mostly singletrack, overlapping maybe 1km total - and that is in opposite directions.
On the MTBR forum weekend rides out there are often organised like N-P said. I may be going out there this coming sat. morning actually.

Tibbsy

Squid
Just returned from a ride, definitely not uber-fit, but exporing is half the fun!!! When I'm a little fitted I will look to hook up on a ride.

DH danny

Squid
berm

hey neuclear powered,
i saw the photos you and waldog took. Me and gagina and my dad pretty much built that berm shaped it to how it is now.

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Does anyone actually want to hook up for some rides/exploration? There are so many single tracks and networks around here that could be shared between those of us who ride here and get lost here as a result.
+1 for getting lost but with a smile on your face when you hit a main road.