Smashed up face

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was wearing a full face whilst riding downhill and still managed to knock three teeth out; fortunately my braces kept them inside my mouth. How did it happen? I sent a step-up/hip a bit too far and landed on the up ramp of the next jump.

driftking

Wheel size expert
stuff how you look and vanity wear what you feel necessary, more protection is more protection, if you don't care about the heat, ventilation/performance than wear the full face if you feel needed. It is about weighing chances though, the slower your discipline or the less hazardous the trail you are less likely to need the major full face either because speed may not be as high or the track is so placid you will usually avoid a crash, be able to roll out of a crash or have very few crashes.

On the other side of the scale sometimes unfortunate crashes happen, there was a kid on here who was just riding in his back yard cruising so figured why full face its as safe as you can be on a bike, forks snapped and he ended up in hospital.

Weigh up your chances sure but at the end of the day there is always going to be that chance so if you want to look like a booner on a xc bike with a full face or a more built helmet who cares what people say, if your having fun and enjoying it do it.

It's your body that will get injured no one else, so up to you.

early1

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the responses people. Had surgery today, nose broken in 3 places with one piece separated. Multiple stitches in lip and bridge of nose. Now have tubes wired in both nostrils for 3 weeks. Such fun. The crash wasn't particularly heroic either. After many years riding, this is by far my worst injury. This was my first ride at home after a month in Canada. Was feeling pretty confident after building my skills there (particularly in Whistler, my first DH experience). I was 10 mins from home on a trail I have ride countless times. I was riding down a steep, stepped boulder/rooty section, prob going a bit harder than usual. Front wheel slipped on root and jammed between rocks, I went straight over the bars, face first into a rock. I was unweighted, to far forward etc etc. could have that fall 50 times a get up and keep riding. Ive never felt the need to wear a full face before (except at whistler ), was just wondering about what others do. Feeling pretty broken, a full face when I return to riding (which will be awhile!) might help speed up the return of confidence.

driftking

Wheel size expert
you didnt mention what you meant by "general trail riding" I think most assume a xc or short travel style bike but if its the more gravity feed AM trail riding than a fullface is not going to be out of place.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
......was just wondering about what others do....
normal helmet for xc where i ride more conservative, esp when solo. FF/elbows/knees when trying more risky stuff, until the risky stuff seems not so risky and i go back to normal helmet.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
I wear FF even when riding easy trails.

It's not as comfortable as a standard helmet, but my philosophy is that you don't need a FF helmet ever, right up until the moment you are in the air looking at the ground and decide you need it.

If you are willing to put up with wearing a FF, then wear one. Who cares what others think or if its overkill.

If it saves your face once, it's worth it IMO.