Slx rear derailleur cage cracked.

Ricker

Likes Dirt
Can you buy a slx cage. Mine has cracked on the side that is closest to the wheel. My chain keeps getting thrown off the lower jockey wheel and onto that side of the cage.

Might just be worth buying a new derailleur, something similar happened on my last XT derailleur with the lower jockey wheels and I attempted to fix it by bending he cage but it ended up snapping.

Only had this derailleur 5 months :(

Keep going through these stupid things! Dam rocks and branches!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Shimano do list SLX/XT cage parts in their spares list, but currently not available. For anyone wondering, the inner plates are the same for both XT & SLX, the outers are different but interchangeable.

ChopSticks

Banned
Shimano do list SLX/XT cage parts in their spares list, but currently not available. For anyone wondering, the inner plates are the same for both XT & SLX, the outers are different but interchangeable.
Ducky !

didnt want to start a new thread... and hopefully Johnny doesnt get the shits with me highjacking someone else's thread?

I have a shadow+ mech that no longer works. do you know where i can source a replacment bearing/belt thing that will make it work again? I know theres one part which fails often, causing the loss of clutch function?

Ricker... unfortunately the price of a cage replacement would be similar to that of a new mech.... and given a SLX clutch is only $60 new.... its prob easier to buy a new one and keep that slx as a spare?

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
A Zee cage will fit on an XT/SLX if you can run short cage(and find the parts)

Chopsticks, if there is a bit of resistance there there is a good chance you just need to adjust it. Undo the 3 or four small allen screws in the clutch cover, switch the clutch to the off position and tighten the tiny band clamp with a spanner or pliers if you are dodgy. Make sure the gasket is clean when you put it back together, you don't want water in there.

I'm not having much luck with ZEE mechs the pivot bushes seem to wear quickly and the clutch needs adjusting every 3 months(which is fine knowing how easy it is).

ChopSticks

Banned
Chopsticks, if there is a bit of resistance there there is a good chance you just need to adjust it. Undo the 3 or four small allen screws in the clutch cover, switch the clutch to the off position and tighten the tiny band clamp with a spanner or pliers if you are dodgy. Make sure the gasket is clean when you put it back together, you don't want water in there.
thanks mate,

Yehhh i know how to tighten the clutch (dont go too much though, youll just break it)
However i think its actually broken. :noidea:

I'll open it up once my mate give it to me and see if its salvageable?!

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
Well I had a new derailleur on for a day before smashing it... I broke one and mangled the hanger back at the end of November, ordered a replacement at end of December, installed it last Friday and then broke it on Saturday 20m from the end of the ride from a stick getting jammed.... Just the cage and hanger are damaged but sounds like I'll need a new one anyway.

Going to borrow my brothers single speed... I've now broken 3 derailleurs on this bike in less than a year I think the world is telling me to so SS