POS Slutt Spasma - go fast bike

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have been wanting one for many months, here's the chance to embark on another build project for fun.

Scott Plasma - aka Slutt Spasma. Customising has gone as far as a fat marker so far, will redo the graphics when I get time.

<2lb frame (880 grams). HMF carbon, whatever that is... Tribal graphics make it TUFF, and that's what counts.

Looking to build it with a mix of old+new parts - pretty much whatever is unused in the garage. I really want a disc rear wheel, or at the very least a pair of 3/4/5 spoke carbon wheels, as a long term goal. If you know anyone that has old clinchers going cheap point them in my direction - I'll be happy to admit functionality is secondary to looks for this build :D So it doesn't matter how flogged the wheels are, as long as they look fast... because there's no way I'll be riding it fast!

Temptation is there to build it singlespeed and go for weight weenie silliness but I'm too much of a fat hack for that, so gears it'll be. Not sure if I want STI or barend shifters but have the option of either so will swap things around to see how I go, might even put cyclocross levers on as I'll be playing in traffic and on bike paths a fair bit. Maybe I can incorporate a swim and run in to my commute as well, or at least ride to work in speedos and singlet.
All depends what I find in the garage... aero bars will be the biggest, ugliest old piece of crap I can find - I'm thinking 1piece Scott or Profile with fluoro stickers, they're easy to come accross.
Yep, it's going to be a bit silly, but when have I ever built a bike for practicality alone? Need a fancy looking trophy bike to show up all the retro hipsters, I'll never look good in skinny jeans so maybe some noisy carbon will get me street cred :cool:
More to come as I piece it together...

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
awesome man looks sick you should get like the slopeing drop bars and with some funky looking aero bars would look mint

Todd

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Random parts acquired, should finish the build tonight. It's a bit > :eek:

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm ashamed of what I've done - broken many of my own rules in doing this. Will wait until day to get pics, need sunlight to show it off in its glory.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A healthy mix of premium carbon and components - Dura Ace + Ultegra, and a few random things :)

What watts?

It's a bit tight back there, shame 28c didn't fit.

Have to learn Powertap inside out for work hence using the loaner wheel, the gold rim is unfortunate and nothing was going to match colour-wise, it threw out my entire aesthetics so I decided to go completely a different direction to intended.
Had to buy new tyres and bar tape, took the opportunity to pick some pretty disgusting colours... chain was cheap too.
Bar and stem came off a cheapo bike, spent half an hour with a file trying to get my carbon brake levers to fit and when they finally did I realised that they required internal cable routing - not really down with drilling out the bars I switched back to the cheap brake levers. Damnit. Having the cable run under bar tape is a bit annoying, I'll have to deal with it for now.

Front wheel was a good cheap score, I know Velocity have some specials on right now and there was the temptation to order an Aerospoke, but convenience won - the wheel was in front of me in the shop and I wanted the bike built this weekend - can't go wrong with anything Dura Ace.

Drivetrain was another very convenient coincidence. Singlespeed was the plan for now as I couldn't be bothered trying to find a shifting solution, the 49t already on the crankset and a 17t sprocket was the first to dig out of my bucket'o'bits. Installed a tensioner, chain was a tiny bit too short to run smoothly. Removed tensioner, and was amazed to see I have perfect tension with the current set up. No slack but not tight either. It's not ideal in that wear will change the tension over time, but hopefully I'll have gears sorted by then.

Position will be revised, SPDs to be installed and I'm playing around with saddles too. It's been a while since I've had a decent road bike and my fitness and flexibility are lacking, so it'll take time to get it right. For now this is a bit of a laugh and when I use it regularly for commuting that's when I'll know just what it needs.

Oh, and the important number: 7.9kg as pictured. No effort to cut grams at all - I know the PT wheel, bar stem and saddle are on the heavy side so if I was a weenie who knows what weight could be achieved - unfortunately I'm also on the heavy side so reliability must come first ;)

Will report back with changes as I go, I have a devious plan to give it a "retro" touch but that'll be a secret for now. Until that happens I can be happy with an expensive exhibition of bad taste :D

Last edited:

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
Im shocked, amazed, in love, having a seizure, and throwing up all at the same time.
And wow sub 8kg very well done

Todd

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Thats the most disgustingly offensive yet awesome bike ive seen in a while. Nice.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That brought a wide grin to my face.

I'll put in my vote for most awesome bike this month. That is absoloute tops.