Slackstring, The Collective

cheese

Likes Dirt
I was just having a squiz through the Slackstring site and clicked to download the Sunday Jen video clip, to my surprise it is the chapter of the Collective with the said song on it.

If anyone hasnt seen The Collective, you should check out the video. Im wondering if Vish knows any of the trails in the section of video?

http://www.slackstring.com/music.html (down the page a bit on the right hand side)

mazzer

It's not sandbagging. I just enjoy winning a less
look under were it has vidios and then click on the picture were is says sunday jen get clip and the collective is a top movie :D

cheese

Likes Dirt
Ive gotta add though, it is a lot more impressive to see at DVD quality, it's a section with some realy nice visuals.

thevish

Likes Dirt
hehe those trails are on the big island in hawaii.. i'm on oahu.. so i would'nt have a clue..
i'd have to say the collective is my all time fav MTB vid.. as a editor and camera man... i'd have to say that... some people don't even realise how much actual work went into that film... those cable cam's take ages to set up... and the positioning of the camera in some of those shots was well thought about.

but i would never copy.

"but what about big D's vids"? WD5 was insane too i thought.. right up there with the collective... but it all comes down to personall pref... MTV style editing
vs clean cut smooth style editing.

personally i like both styles mixed.. accept its very hard to get that clean cut style without a 16mm camera and some decent camera skills.. keeping the object, center of the frame is no easy task.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks to that song and the quality of the shooting, that is actually one of my all time favourite segments in a vid. It reminds me a lot of watching a surf film like September Sessions or Shelter (I truly believe the producers of the Collective borrowed much of the aesthetic from Shelter).
Anywho, it's nice to see riding portrayed as something graceful and chilled out - something you do with good mates. Don't think this comes through in most films but the Hawaii segment captures it perfectly.

24seven

Likes Dirt
I thought it was shit. I thought it was a mountain bike video not a Hawaii tourism commercial. And seriously, how many lifestyle shots can you watch before you puke. Sure mountain biking is all about chilled riding with your mates but I don't need a video to tell me that.

The music sucked too. If you want chilled music that's fine. But at least choose music that still sounds good. Something like Massive Attack, chilled but still amazing music.

cheese

Likes Dirt
24seven said:
I thought it was shit. I thought it was a mountain bike video not a Hawaii tourism commercial. And seriously, how many lifestyle shots can you watch before you puke. Sure mountain biking is all about chilled riding with your mates but I don't need a video to tell me that.

The music sucked too. If you want chilled music that's fine. But at least choose music that still sounds good. Something like Massive Attack, chilled but still amazing music.
I was about to argue the point with you and say that the awsomeness of the Hawaii riding fits perfectly with the style of the video and music. Also that music is a personal preference and IMO most people like the music in the section, so the collective has suceeded. But then I thought wait what was that picture I saw ages ago somewhere?

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
24seven said:

yeah i see your point, but I've grown up watching surf vids and really started to get over the thrashy stuff that permeated through them in the nineties.

Reading your thoughts I don't think either of us is right or wrong - it just shows that we riders all have different views on practically everything in life. On the trails who cares if you dig Slackstring or Massive Attack (I like both actually) we all love to ride - no matter what we get from it.

thevish

Likes Dirt
yeah...i've got a long way to go in the 360 department eheh
... although i can do them reall easy in the bobcat i hired for a week to rip up my existing concrete slab :p problem is.. there's no room in the back yard to build jumps.
gay huh

(only 99 woooo!)