Single chainring replacement for Specialized BigHit Expert

Nitrosoxide

Likes Dirt
Hey,
im looking to replace my double chainrings that came standard with my bike (Specialized Big Hit Expert 2004). I would like to go to a single chainring, bashguard and chainguides to suite downhill racing.
Im just after some suggestions with what brands to go with, and maybe if anyone else has made the same conversion on the same type of bike ?? :?:

scblack

Leucocholic
You can't go wrong with e13/Evil - but I don't know how easy it is to fit on your Bighit. But there is no reason it can't.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
THE FEATURES
ISCG-compatible bottom bracket tabs provide slip-free chain guide mounting
You can run a e13 no probs and even better still your frame has the ISCG mounts so the guide wont move or slip around all over the place when it gets hit by something. :D

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
Yep, I have the same bike and just did the conversion a month or so ago. I went with an E13 chain device and a blackspire 38t ring. You mount the E13 using the ISCG mounts as the BB mount (which also comes with the kit) won't fit due to interference with the ISCG tabs.

The E13 SRS manual states that you should use a standard chainring and not a wider BMX style chainring.

Everything is running well. No complaints. The E13 came from JensonUSA and cost about $200 AUD all up. Best chain device at the cheapest price.

Nitrosoxide

Likes Dirt
Sparkman said:
The E13 came from JensonUSA and cost about $200 AUD all up. Best chain device at the cheapest price.
That's awesome, I asked the LBS today and they suggested an MRP. But i have seen alot of guys using e.13 and alot of good reviews about them.

How did you go about getting measurements, on the jensonusa sight there's a few different ones there 104bcd & 94bcd ??

Did you buy a new BB or chain as well, or did you just take links out ??

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
It's a standard 4 bolt pattern, which I believe is a 104 bcd. I used the Holzfeller crank and removed all the chainrings and rockguard and put the 38t ring where the middle ring was and the ultrabeefy bashguard where the rockguard was. I got a new chain as well, as the original should be too short for the new setup. The bike wasn't that old, so I didn't need a new rear cluster, It runs really well. (I got the 104 Bcd Mountain-X 40T max model and I pricematched it with go-ride.com who sell it cheaper at $119). The package came through customs without me having to pay anything extra. It arrived less than 1 week from ordering, and I could track the shipment in transit. Not too shabby.

The E13 SRS chainguard is a really nice piece of work. I'd prefer it on looks alone to the MRP one. At $200, there was no competition anyway.