Singapore - Southern Malaysia MTB

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I might be heading over to Singapore/Malaysia in a couple of months and I'm wondering if there are any decent areas for riding? I've only got a day or two in Johor Behru for a training course and i was thinking about extending my time over there to a week or two and taking my bike. Are there any areas in the south of the country where there are heaps of trails?

I suppose I could probably travel further afield if I can get my bike on trains and the like. Just kicking about ideas right now...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not southern but Penang Hill is apparently networked with trails and has a gondola.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Not southern but Penang Hill is apparently networked with trails and has a gondola.
That could be a goer. I've got to do my Offshore Survival refresher and don't fancy paying double the going rate by doing it in Melbourne. I can do it way cheaper in SE Asia and get a holiday into the bargain.

There's a training centre in Songhkla I could go to which isn't too far from Penang. It also gives me the option of Kho Samui and the like as well.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I haven't seen the trails for myself but I am familiar with the hill and it would make for awesome riding. Ongwoojin on here is from Batu Ferringhi and should be able to help you out with first hand info.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I've been riding at Burkit Timah - Singapores highest mountain at a nosebleeding 160m. Not bad though but no epic. It is fairly close to the CBD which is a plus.

Monkeys rule the carpark. They sit on cars and give you nasty looks.

There is a little bit of North Shore tucked away there. Just a little bit.

I've heard much better riding is in Malaysia or off in the nearby islands. Get in touch with Two wheeled Action in Singapore that might help.

Enjoy and just fit in a ride however big or small

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
That could be a goer. I've got to do my Offshore Survival refresher and don't fancy paying double the going rate by doing it in Melbourne. I can do it way cheaper in SE Asia and get a holiday into the bargain.

There's a training centre in Songhkla I could go to which isn't too far from Penang. It also gives me the option of Kho Samui and the like as well.
no good tracks or bikes in Koh Samui or Koh Tao. Spent three months on Koh Tao in 2013. Magic place before the last coup, friends tell me it's scary now.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There doesn't appear to be any interesting trails in Southern Peninsular Malaysia but there is a good network right in KL at Bukit Kiara. Penang also has an ever increasing network of trails & right near Batu Ferringhi. I haven't ridden either yet, so no 1st hand experience, but given the lack of trail variety in SG it won't be long.

Singapore has 3 trail sections, Bukit Timah, Pulau Ubin & Kent Ridge. Bukit Timah has the most on offer, Ubin is a tiny Island off the East coast which is painful to get to & Kent Ridge is along the Southern Ridges which stretch from Mt Faber, but is very small. Bukit Timah is your best bet if you decide to come to SG.

I'd be checking out Penang Hill & Kiara if I were you, especially if you're flying in to KL, as I'm a bit bored of the trails in SG by now. If you decide to come to SG I'd be happy to show you around. I'm normally on the bike 2-3 times a week.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Still umming and aah-ing about what to do. I've to get this training done by the end of June and it's got to be squeezed around work. I'm now thinking of possibly doing it in Bangkok/Chonburi then fly/overnight train up to Chiang Mai where there are some decent hills/mountains and local guides with uplifts.

I'm also supposed to be saving up for a house though so I should probably wind my neck in, do my training course locally and just take a drive up to Buller before it gets too cold but damn it I need a proper holiday!

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pint o'

Lots of the local guys I have spoken to here head to Chiang Mai for some elevation. If that's what you're looking at try searching the Loose Riders stuff, seems to be quite big in this neck of the woods.

Mr Crudley

Give us a shout if you want to head out for a spin. I'm mostly at BT & up to Scorpion, Centipede etc. Still trying to work out the Woodcutters/ T7 route around Selator.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Hi Sane, I'd love to but am back in Sydney now.

I did quite a bit of work in SG for a while and have an expat friend whose company had him based in SG. Riding opportunities popped up a few times after escaping our customers

Didn't get to do the ANZ expat around the island r@&d ride though.

I had a lot of fun in SG though. Perfect weather for beer too.

ongwooijin

Likes Bikes
There is also a BOSET accredited offshore survival training center in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. That is where i did my last one. The training center is located next door to the national zoo in suburb called Melawati which has a nice mtb singletrack trail featuring a few natural waterfalls and a few pools. Another nearby suburb called Mont Kiara has The Best network of xc type trails and is super busy on weekends with lots of local riders willing to show u around. I would say the grade is blue bordering single black diamond.

No BOSET training centers available in Penang. But lots of beach clubs, beers and fried koay teow. My favourite trail is a 1.2 km run down Mt Erskine. This trail is packed with features. Berms, table tops, drops, doubles...you name it. Single to double black diamond. Check out these youtube vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omp6N6ke6X8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ldeg68tzNc

There are council utes on weekend mornings that provide uplifts for aud $2.50 to the peak of Penang Hill with about an hour's worth of dh/enduro style descent leading to various other quadrants of the island. Again, check out youtube to get a better idea.

Hook up with any local rider u meet once there and they will be more than happy to show a tourist around. Tip: Avoid indulging in the local breakfasts involving chillis and curries prior to your ride

Have fun.

Last edited:

Pete C

Cannon Fodder
Bit late to the party here.

Singapore, Pulau Ubin is worth a trip. It really isn't that hard to get too. Taxi or bus to Changi Village, head over toward the hawker centre/wet market, get some Nasi Lemak and an iced Milo and follow your nose (metaphorically or you'll end up back at the wet market) to the ferry terminal. A bum boat will cost you 4 or 5 dollars over. You can hire some genuine clunkers for $10 - $15 and enjoy some surprisingly fun 'black diamond' - more like an Aussie light blue single track at the MTB park. Good way to spend a 5 or 6 hour stopover!

Not sure about the South of Thailand, but as someone mentioned there is heaps of really fun riding around Chiang Mai. Not much single track, more crazy fun, unsustainably rutted, brake cooking, dirt road descents and heart breaking climbs.

Last edited: