Shuttle noob...

slowmick

38-39"
Got the go ahead to enter the Elevation Series as a last hurrah before the arrival of small humans. Made sure I signed up before approval was rescinded.

I have never shuttled before. Reading the ads for downhill and all mountain bikes most include "has regular marks from shuttling".

What should I do to prepare my bike for shuttles? Is a bunch of race tape enough?

The guy who built up my bike said that a shuttle trailer would eat my carbon cranks.

Any help would be appreciated.

my02

Likes Dirt
Got the go ahead to enter the Elevation Series as a last hurrah before the arrival of small humans. Made sure I signed up before approval was rescinded.

I have never shuttled before. Reading the ads for downhill and all mountain bikes most include "has regular marks from shuttling".

What should I do to prepare my bike for shuttles? Is a bunch of race tape enough?

The guy who built up my bike said that a shuttle trailer would eat my carbon cranks.

Some well placed gaffa tape should see you right. I have bog standard electric tape on my carbon cranks and it was fine for some recent Stromlo shuttles.

Gravityfreak

Likes Dirt

Gaffa tape around your cranks is a good idea if its that kind of trailer. Some hold your bike by the seat tube and you'll want tape there if thats the case. However, in my years of shuttling, by far the greatest damage is as a result of careless people who load theirs bikes next to yours and don't care that their pedal is touching your fork or that their brake lever is up against your top tube. Thats where the real damage occurs. My advice is to load your bike and then hang around to ensure the bikes that go on after yours are not going to do any damage and that if they are, you reposition them so don't.

sundy

Likes Dirt
The trailers they used last season had crank holders, and there was plenty of space between bikes so I don't think you need to worry about that. Of course, that assumes they'll be using the same trailers.

scblack

Leucocholic
Some people put a cut up inner tube on the crank that is going to be in the crank holder. Thats gives even more padding from the holder.

Another option for you.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the wear from the crank holders isn't as bad as they say on carbon cranks we have run three days of shuttles (each day about 6 runs) on a set of carbon cranks and there is marks im not gonna lie but they are far less then what we expected more or less better then that of alloy

id say just get an old tube cut it up to cover the NON drive side crank arm and wrap in gaffa if your that worried about it

but more or less just have a good time nothing is going to stay perfect and unscratched :) (that's not to say just don't care lol)

slowmick

38-39"
thanks for all the help guys, at least now I know which crank, what to use, what to watch out for and not to worry and enjoy the ride. Cheers. :thumb:

Now if I just put down the pie and get off the couch I might make it to the bottom of the hill in one piece.