Shoulder protection

DanDan1994

Likes Dirt
Hey guys so i don't want to where full compression gear but want something to protect my shoulders/ color bone.... does anyone know anything that might help??

Cheers Dan

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I doubt you'll get anything that will enable you to ride comfortably that will stop you breaking a collarbone. If you hit something hard enough, it'll break regardless of what body protection you're wearing. The stuff you buy isn't intended to stop the chance of a break, it is more so to reduce the bumps, scratches and scrapes you get from hitting the deck.
A neck brace help to reduce the chance of your helmet pressuring your collarbone area in the event of a fall but that would be an extreme enough crash to break more bones than just a collarbone.
There may be a brace to support your shoulder area but I haven't seen or used anything like it. Anyone using something like that?

sensai_miagi

Likes Bikes
661 core saver

i can recommend the 661 "core saver" vest, which includes some soft padding over the collar bone area. it is primarily for spine protection and i use it and find it reasonably comfortable. to be honest, i broke my collar bone when i was wearing the vest but that's because i had a big impact from the side, not from hitting something front-on - I don't think you could prevent the sort of injury i got without a full on compression jacket. core saver has saved my back and shoulder blades/collar bone area from plenty other bruises though.

DanDan1994

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys! Yeah its not so much my colarbone as it is my bung shoulder. i have a brace but was wondering if there is something abit more padded Haha

Toxicity

one of those boys your mother warned you about
My left shoulder is about as good as an 80 yr olds with a masturbation problem, I use the Evs shoulder brace for support and the 661 core saver as protection, I find it still feels comfortable to ride in with a little bit of security

sensai_miagi

Likes Bikes
@Toxicity

if that's you in the picture, can i please have your ph number?, especially if you're a chronic masturbator

DanDan1994

Likes Dirt
holy crap this made me laugh so hard when i got home!!! and thanks so much guys that core saver looks like a good idea. checked it out and its pretty cheap and doesn't look that restrictive :)

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
In a high velocity crash, it helps if you know how to roll and distribute the forces around your body rather than allow one area (like the shoulder) to absorb all the impact. This is the reason why there isn't much protection is on the market for collar bones. They break as a result of crushing from severe impacts.

DanDan1994

Likes Dirt
Yeah thats true. but it depends how you crash as to if you can even prepare yourself... i tend to turn into sonic the hedgehog and just roll away

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
Most long sleeve armour have shoulder protection.

Off the top of my head, the 661 assault looks to have a large amount of protection for my shoulder.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
18b5f1b0.jpg

Pushie Enterprises now bring in the G-form Compression Shirts and Crash Shorts and have a few of each size. (Sorry about the pic sizes).

I would call these a secondary armour for DH purposes only in that they are more designed for impact protection as opposed to sliding which is where the hardshells have their strengths, but kinda suck at impact protection. Where G-form come in handy is in the heat shedding department and also lightness and flexibility. They will wick moisture and increase cooling, much like skin.

The shoulder padding is more for the front, sides and top of the shoulder as opposed to the collar bone or shoulder blade. From your description I reckon these tick some boxes. Sizing is a bit of a challenge. I recommend having it tight so the lycra compresses and keeps the pads in place (eg, I'm normally a medium, but I reckon the small although a little snug is prolly the best size. The shorts I use the Medium.

cycotic has great info and sizing with a few vids as well
http://www.cycotic.com.au/brands/G%2dform.html

Worth a look and pushie are always happy to answer any questions via email pushie(at)live.com.au

As a bit of trivia we have sold these to wrestlers / martial arts guys, footballers, stunt guys (The man with the claws will be wearing the full G-form compliment of shins/knees/shorts/shirt and elbows in the next movie :) ... the main cast and stunt crew as well actually :)) and a few DHérs in QLD.

Cycotic and Blackmans are the only stores thus far with stock, but hoping to break into the larger Sport retailers soon.

Sammy86

Squid
Is your shoulder problem with dislications?
I have a pretty shitty shoulder, lost count of how many times it's been dislocated. Best thing to prevent it was going to a physio and doing the exercises they tell you to do. I know they are a pain in the ass but just do them. Dislocating shoulders usually happen from your arm bending the wrong way not a direct hit to the shoulder, but a bit of padding can't hurt.