Should this be covered by warranty?

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I managed to crash pretty hard today, and upon getting home i've noticed that the chainstay on my has buckled in a way such that its almost poking into the back wheel. Just looking for an opinion on it before i take back to the dealer tomorrow.

Last edited:

cameron_15

Eats Squid
You can try your luck at the dealer, but it's not a warranty issue. Warranty is for manufacturing defects and is not a crash replacement program.

At the very least they'll be able to sort you out with a new chainstay fairly cheaply (~$250ish based on other brands prices).

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Gotta agree with the rest of the thread - unfortunately crash damage isn't covered under warranty.

You may be able to get a rear triangle though, which should be cheaper than a new frame.

Good luck!

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
Highly doubt it. Many companies also refer to the rear triangle as a component rather than the frame in the fine print so it is not under the standard defect warranty specs

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
I was just riding along today, and upon getting home i've noticed that the chainstay on my Trance has buckled in a way such that its almost poking into the back wheel. Just looking for an opinion on it before i take back to the dealer tomorrow.
Fixed it for you ;P

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Best bet is to take it to your LBS (if you purchased it from one) and see what they think.

Giant are pretty good with warranty, and even cover the rear triangle.

My previous bike got a small dent/paint chip in the chainstay after knocking something once, which eventually ended up causing a tear and ripped through the chainstay completely.

Giant replaced it with no questions.

velolove

Likes Dirt
Take the bike to the LBS and don't tell them you crashed. Just tell them that it has started to feel funny when you ride and let them discover the twist.

indica

Serial flasher
Take the bike to the LBS and don't tell them you crashed. Just tell them that it has started to feel funny when you ride and let them discover the twist.
Yes, because comitting frud is a much better way of doing things. Especially when the question has been posed on the internet under what appears to be a real name.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
being an asshole and lying to get a free repair on something caused by yourself is why there are at times people getting knocked back for legitimate claims.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crash damage is NOT covered by warranty, so suck it up & buy a new rear triangle.
that's true however as you're dealing with a reputable company you can approach them directly for a reduced price crash replacement. mate did it with his banged up frame from giant.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
that's true however as you're dealing with a reputable company you can approach them directly for a reduced price crash replacement. mate did it with his banged up frame from giant.
This is what I'd be doing, tell them how it happened, tell them you love the bike and ask for a decent price for crash replacement rear. The shop will appreciate your honesty as it saves them f*&^ing around with Giant and you'll be seen as an honest customer if anything else following is needing of a real warranty claim.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is what I'd be doing, tell them how it happened, tell them you love the bike and ask for a decent price for crash replacement rear. The shop will appreciate your honesty as it saves them f*&^ing around with Giant and you'll be seen as an honest customer if anything else following is needing of a real warranty claim.
This is the best option.. Its called "honesty"..

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is like asking "If I drive my Landcruiser into a tree will Toyota replace my bumper bar?". Warranties don't exactly work like that.

miked1903

Cannon Fodder
My chain stay has a crack, Scott have agreed to replace under warranty but its going to take 6 weeks for the part. Not happy, no bike over the holidays.