Shortening and inserting thread in a 135mm axle

spudmonkey32

Likes Dirt
Hi,

I bought a 135mm axle but its far too long for my Supreme (not sure why?) so I need it shortened and then a thread inserted in the end. Does anyone know somewhere I can take the axle to in Melbourne?

cheers
Ian

muvro

Likes Dirt
Hi,

I bought a 135mm axle but its far too long for my Supreme (not sure why?) so I need it shortened and then a thread inserted in the end. Does anyone know somewhere I can take the axle to in Melbourne?

cheers
Ian
I'm not sure what you mean by "a thread inserted into the end". But if you mean that a thread needs to be cut further down the shank of the bolt and the excess cut off. It's quite an easy process.

Not sure where you can go in Melbourne, but if you buy a die from a 'nut and bolt shop', along with some cutting fluid or something similar. Then simply cut the thread further down the shank, allowing about 1-1.5mm extra before it goes into the thread in the frame. Leave about 3-5mm of extra thread hanging out the frame and cut it off with a hacksaw or 4" grinder (after you have marked this length and removed it from the frame). Using a file, champfer the edge and run the die over the end of the thread again to ensure the end of the thread is clean.

hathill

Likes Dirt
I'm not sure what you mean by "a thread inserted into the end". But if you mean that a thread needs to be cut further down the shank of the bolt and the excess cut off. It's quite an easy process.

Not sure where you can go in Melbourne, but if you buy a die from a 'nut and bolt shop', along with some cutting fluid or something similar. Then simply cut the thread further down the shank, allowing about 1-1.5mm extra before it goes into the thread in the frame. Leave about 3-5mm of extra thread hanging out the frame and cut it off with a hacksaw or 4" grinder (after you have marked this length and removed it from the frame). Using a file, champfer the edge and run the die over the end of the thread again to ensure the end of the thread is clean.
Good luck with that.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi,

cheers
Ian
The important question should be why is a 135mm axle too long? Excuse my ignorance but what's a Supreme (Kona/Commencal/Other?) and where exactly are you trying to use a 135mm axle?

spudmonkey32

Likes Dirt
Sorry, should have made it clearer, its a 12mm 135mm rear axle for a commencal supreme. I don't know why its longer than it should be (it even says 135mm on the packet) - the guy from chain reacton said it should be a little longer but its approx 4cms longer. I just wondered if it was possible to keep it and trim it as opposed to returning it to the UK.

muvro

Likes Dirt
Sorry, should have made it clearer, its a 12mm 135mm rear axle for a commencal supreme. I don't know why its longer than it should be (it even says 135mm on the packet) - the guy from chain reacton said it should be a little longer but its approx 4cms longer. I just wondered if it was possible to keep it and trim it as opposed to returning it to the UK.
I recently built up a Norco 6 for a workshop/loner bike. But didn't have the Maxle for it, so a mate gave me a 12x135 solid axle, which I believe was meant to be from another Norco. Long story short, it was also too long, so I had to tap more thread onto the shank of the bolt and cut the remainder off. Works perfectly as any other bolt up through axle would.

I would definitely be shortening it, as opposed to sending it back. Took me less that 5 mins to modify.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting that it is 4cm too long, sounds like it is a 150 in the wrong package?

If so they should be sending you the corect one and probably won't want the original back..

However-

If you have access to an M12 die then cutting extra thread would indeed take 5 mins. I am a machinist by trade and can assure you that if anything a hand cut thread may even be better quality than machine cut.
If you have not done any thread cutting before try and give the job to a friend who has a good die, thread cutting lubricant and knowhow (cut 1/2 turn of thread, back 1/4 turn to break thread chip and so on....).

D_Nine

A couple of pictures would be great, just to clearly see the situation. However I agree with muvro it is easier to make something "longer" to fit than something "shorter" !!! As I've heard " there is no problem that time and money can't fix , less time more money !! " Try your local engineering , mechanical and even LBS to see if they can modify to fit.

spudmonkey32

Likes Dirt
Here's a photo of the axle with bits and bolts - I'm going to measure it up and search for someone who can trim the axle and insert a thread.

Anyone know of someone who would be interested in doing this for me?

cheers
Ian

Attachments

muvro

Likes Dirt
Here's a photo of the axle with bits and bolts - I'm going to measure it up and search for someone who can trim the axle and insert a thread.

Anyone know of someone who would be interested in doing this for me?

cheers
Ian

Ahhhh...

I was imagining a through axle, with say an allenkey head on one end and a thread on the other that screws into the frame. Now I see why you want to "insert a thread"

It will be a totally different process to the one I described earlier. However, the result is the same, presuming that the axle is solid, and not hollow. If it's hollow, and the ID is larger than the thread by more than 1mm, it's not going to be easy. If it's solid, you'll have no problems.

If you want some instruction on how to do it yourself, let me know. I can send some step by step instructions. Or if you don't feel confident, just take the bike and the axle to an engineering shop (google is your friend) and they'll have it done in no time. They prob won't be able to do it on the spot, but over night shouldn't be a prob.

Sammy86

Squid
If you don't already have to tools or know someone with them, then just take it to a machinist / engineering shop. A good tap set isn't cheap unless its shit.

Better yet just tell CRC to send you another one...

jimmijolly

Likes Bikes
If the axle is solid, pm me, it will take 2 minutes to do, if not get what you need from a bike shop. :pirate: