Short travel??? Long travel???

matt123

Likes Dirt
I am sick of triple clamps right now so I need some single crowns and was wondering what kind of forks I should get.
I have been looking at and been very interested in a set of argyle 318's but I am not sure about the length of travel, they are 100mm.
If i do put 100mm travel on this bike below.......

Would it make them really low, uncomfortable, look really dodgy or would it be bad for the frame? (the frame is an 05 Norco sasquatch)

If Its not a good idea to put argyles on then what length travel do you reccomend and what forks?

How much are Marzocchi 55 RS forks worth?
And does anyone have any information on them because I cant find much. They are not for sale new anywhere except on the 09 sasquatch.
<-----------------Not answered yet

Thanks alot!,
Matt

Attachments

Last edited:

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Going single crowns on that bike is an awesome idea. Triples on hardtails is just plain stupid.

I think 130mm sounds like a good height for that bike. So heres my suggestion, see if you can find a used, good set of pikes with u turn, so that way if the bike does feel stupid at 100, just turn it up to 120 or 140. Plus, pikes will be a little better on the trails than argyles, but probably just as tough for dj's etc.

Cheers
James

lobstar

Likes Dirt
why not go for something like a pike? with the adjustment you can choose how much travel is ideal (140mm and less)

Jimass

Eats Squid
^^^ No it isn't. I and some mates run 100-115mm on our sasys...

Go a pike...

And why are triples on a hard tail stupid? I don't think they are if the bike comes stock with them...

wootown

Likes Dirt
100mm is not to short its fine to put argyles on that bike
but if you gunna be doing DH then id go some pikes there heaps good single crowns for DH

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Triples on a hardtail isn't stupid... Putting triples on a hard tail that originally had single crown forks is questionable.

For an 05 sassy a 130mm fork is great, even 140mm. 100 is a tad on the low side for that yr model, I had a pike on mine at it was awesome, 110mm for riding on the road and at the park, and 140mm for the off road stuff.

matt123

Likes Dirt
I suspect it'll ride better with a chain too.
haha,
yeh I couldnt be bothered taking new photos so I used the ones from when I was building the bike up.

What type of seat is that on it Matt?
Its a diamond jump light seat or something like that.......
By the way thats not the bike you want to buy

I dont think its bad to have triples on a hardtail, Chicks always think it looks like a motorbike.:D
But when you go to skate parks everyone looks at you funny.

Ill have a look at some pikes but I think they are a bit WAY out of my price range at the moment

Last edited:

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
^^^ No it isn't. I and some mates run 100-115mm on our sasys...

Go a pike...

And why are triples on a hard tail stupid? I don't think they are if the bike comes stock with them...
Because they make the bike way too nose heavy, and ruin the geo so you cant ride park/dj, which is what you want a hardtail for. And for DH you might as well have a dually, unless you can nose manual down the entire trail. Not to mention the stress a triple can put on a frame.

But I guess if they come stock then the manufacturer would take these points into consideration and make any necessary adjustments.

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
Because they ruin the geo so you cant ride park/dj, which is what you want a hardtail for.
Accepted, but very broad statement. Some of the Norco HT's are designed for DH or FR, hence come stock with large forks and heavier components, the Manic and Sassy, perhaps even the rampage too.

Just look at all that gusseting between the top and down tubes. I doubt it was a last minute thought by Norco to go 'oh, lets put triples on the manic' etc.

If people want a hardtail for park or dj they will buy one more suited to that than say a DH hardtail..

My two cents anyway

carpo

Likes Bikes
100mm

100mm is way to small for that. look at 140mm single crowns.
runing 100mm forks on that bike is fine, i have the exat frame and it works fine with a 100mm fork i use it for everything and i even do a bit of dh on it ( not seroulsy narly stuff) but it is fine and the geo is still fine to