Shoes - what to look for

gc49

Likes Bikes
Ok, I did a search and couldn't find anything that really steered me in the right direction (at least not in the last year or 2).

I'm currently in the market for a new set of shoes for XC with some road training rides as well (for when it's wet or such. I use SPD pedals for both), and although I could see in the search some brands to look at, I was hoping for a little more refined starting point (seems a lot of choice out there obviously).

As I have other commitments, I can't just run around to a lot of bike shops trying a lot of different shoes on to find the right ones (It'd be 12 months before I got through it!), so what I'm after is some recomendations on not just brands, but model's within that brand to start my search from a smaller option pool. I can then take a more targeted aproach to getting away to some of the LBS's for fitting and final selection (and less arguments as well :biggrin1:).

So what do people recomend for those long rides and races?

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Ok, I did a search and couldn't find anything that really steered me in the right direction (at least not in the last year or 2).

I'm currently in the market for a new set of shoes for XC with some road training rides as well (for when it's wet or such. I use SPD pedals for both), and although I could see in the search some brands to look at, I was hoping for a little more refined starting point (seems a lot of choice out there obviously).

As I have other commitments, I can't just run around to a lot of bike shops trying a lot of different shoes on to find the right ones (It'd be 12 months before I got through it!), so what I'm after is some recomendations on not just brands, but model's within that brand to start my search from a smaller option pool. I can then take a more targeted aproach to getting away to some of the LBS's for fitting and final selection (and less arguments as well :biggrin1:).

So what do people recomend for those long rides and races?
How much do want to spend? Wide foot or narrow foot?

Honestly, just go toa big shop that stocks 4 or 5 shoe brands and try the ones on that you like the look/price of, and buy the one that you like the feel of.

Danman89

Likes Bikes
I am a big fan of Specialized shoes.

I have them for both Road and MTB. They are 2010 S-Works (only has 1 Boa dial) and the Pro MTB (Ratchet and 2 Velcro Straps).

Started off with the Sport MTB and found them to be fantastic, they were still going strong after 3 years then upgraded to the Pro. Initially the there were some comfort issues with the ratchet position but it is adjustable and have found a comfortable position. One thing I noticed was the difference between the two soles of the shoes. The Carbon soled Pro feels like it transfers a lot more power than the Sport.

The road shoes I started off with some cheap Tri shoes then Shimano but could never get comfortable. When I saw the Specialized ones on ebay I had to have them. Never tried Boa before then but was amazed at how comfy they are. So easy to get tight, light system and they look amazing (Bright red shoes with white and gold highlights). Not sure how Boa goes offroad as I haven't used it but my brothers seems to be going really well.

One thing to note I also changed the innersole as I have high arches. There is a noticeable difference when I forget to change the footbed between shoes.

Maybe I have been brainwashed by the big S but I am a big fan of their gear. I am not saying other companies dont do as much research as them however their research in Body Geometry I can't fault. It fits me pretty well (I ride with their Gloves, Shoes and Helmet, No bike but my brother owns 5).

I would have a look at the Specialized Pro or Comp with the footbed that fits your foot. They both have a carbon sole so you will get better power transfer while on the road (and mountain) and they are not hideously expensive.

***Side note*** Shoes are like saddles though, what is comfortable for me may not be for someone else so find something as comfortable as possible.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
+1 on the Specialized shoes.
Have both the "pro" and "s-works" models. Have found the "Pro" models are slightly wider then the "S-Works" models.

Their footbeds are also pretty amazing. I found my foot shape required the "blue" coloured footbed and since getting them I have not sufferred from any foot pain like I used to with other shoes. You can't put a price on comfortable feet - go to a bike store and get it done right the first time.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is this how you buy other shoes (go to an internet site and ask people what they wear)?
You need to go and try them on yourself.
What I like to wear (Sidi and Gaerne), you may very well hate.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Is this how you buy other shoes (go to an internet site and ask people what they wear)?
You need to go and try them on yourself.
I agree with your thoughts, however he did state:

As I have other commitments, I can't just run around to a lot of bike shops trying a lot of different shoes on to find the right ones (It'd be 12 months before I got through it!), so what I'm after is some recomendations on not just brands, but model's within that brand to start my search from a smaller option pool. I can then take a more targeted aproach to getting away to some of the LBS's for fitting and final selection (and less arguments as well ).

wavike

Likes Dirt
My feet are too wide for shimano shoes. I use specialized Tahoe for trail riding and have the MTB comp for commuting / racing. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/shoes/mtbshoes The tahoe is heavier and has softer sole for walking, and much safer for crossing wet bridges. There are other more expensive/trendy brands but specialized are easy to find, comfortable and reasonable price.

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
ive owned
cannondale shoes- tho comfy had a way to flexi sole, i like a stiff sole
sidi dragon2- my most hated shoe ever, thought id love it, stiff as fuck sole which is great but just way too narrow even tho i have a skinny foot, sent the lateral side of my foot numb and in chron pain, and that was after they felt awesome in the shop
current shoe, a pair of sixsixones- a good compromise between stiffness and comfyness, tho they are near the end of their life i wont buy them again
ill go shimano next, seem to chat to alot of people who say they are nice and comfy and stiff

felixmtb

Likes Dirt
I would recommend the Specialized shoe range as well. I've only ever owned 3 pairs of riding shoes (2 xc and one dh) so I haven't got much to compare to, but from what I can tell the Body Geometry design is great and the shoes have moulded to my feet really well.
I was only using the Sport MTB and, though lower down the line, they were light, comfortable and have lasted me for 2 or 3 years of solid dh and xc riding/racing. And right now I'm looking at getting another pair of specialized shoes, partly after reading above comments and partly from my previous experience!

splunk

Likes Dirt
Sizing

Not sure you were planning on buying online, but I found this helpful for sizing (unfortunately no specialized).

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 Specialized if you have a wide foot (Have the one below S-Works for both Road and MTB). They have soft edges which can allow your foot to bulge out. Shimanos didn't have this.

Because i have such a weird foot - high arch, short foot, wide pad area - shoes are the only thing i walk into a shop and buy. I do make use of the customer service though, when i try every shoe in the shop :thumb:

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with your thoughts, however he did state:

As I have other commitments, I can't just run around to a lot of bike shops trying a lot of different shoes on to find the right ones (It'd be 12 months before I got through it!), so what I'm after is some recomendations on not just brands, but model's within that brand to start my search from a smaller option pool. I can then take a more targeted aproach to getting away to some of the LBS's for fitting and final selection (and less arguments as well ).
Yep, I saw that.
Maybe he needs to post up a life size picture of his foot taken from below and another from the side.
We may have half a clue then as to what might fit.
I have tried on some shoes that are my size but simply dont fit the shape of my foot.
He is shooting fish in a barrel.
I have lots of commitments too.
I still manage to find time to go and try on shoes and clothes.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ive owned
cannondale shoes- tho comfy had a way to flexi sole, i like a stiff sole
sidi dragon2- my most hated shoe ever, thought id love it, stiff as fuck sole which is great but just way too narrow even tho i have a skinny foot, sent the lateral side of my foot numb and in chron pain, and that was after they felt awesome in the shop
current shoe, a pair of sixsixones- a good compromise between stiffness and comfyness, tho they are near the end of their life i wont buy them again
ill go shimano next, seem to chat to alot of people who say they are nice and comfy and stiff
This is a good example of what I mean.
Loved my Dragons, hated 661.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
if you have narrow feet, try sidis or shimanos.

If you have wider feet, try Mavic or Louis Garneau

If you have very wide feet, try Shimano E-fit or Sidi Mega.

Specialized shoes are quite nice, as are the new Bontrager shoes, if you live near a trek or speshy dealer.

Seriously, in the amount of time you have taken to read these responses, you could have driven to a shop.

Motorhead

Likes Bikes
The most important thing is comfort & fit.

I love my Specialized BG Expert mtb shoes, they're the lightest in they make & have a nice stiff carbon sole. They don't have any fabric to them so don't get waterlogged by mud & creek crossings which makes a big difference as many of the rides & races I do seem to involve a dunk at some stage.

It was a close run thing with the Bontragers which were about half the price but the fit was just a bit better on the Spesh.