Shinamo Deore Stuff.........

Aman

Likes Bikes
Everyone knows about deore so I want to know a little about them for you guys.................

I got a cheap bike, cost $1000, so it only comes with a deore derailer. Well........To me it dosn't shift smoth under pressure like when your climbing. I've never riden a bike with say LX or XT so I was just wondering, do they offer a lot smoother shifting......... why am I asking this coz I'm buying a NRS 2 with LX bits. [/u]

nhd

Likes Dirt
i went from deore to xt shifting and daaaaaaamn was it smooth and easy. so yes, xt is great :)

Adi

It's my birthday!
Well I have never owned Deore shifters. I dont know if you bought your bike new or second hand, but the spring might me worn, thats the case on my XT, so shifting isn't as good as it should be, but yes, I find it 1000x better than my old Acera. ;)

Cruz

Likes Dirt
There are so many variables at play to get smooth clean shifts.
1/ Condition of shifters, wear etc
2/ Condition of inner and outer cables and lubrication.
3/ Condition of the mechs, rear cluster, chain and chain rings.
4/ Chain line/bottom bracket width/cranks
5/ design of the frame and dropouts.

just to name a few.
I have used Acera/Deore gear which has shifted better than some full xtr setups, but the cheaper ones will not last as long.

To sum up, nothing wrong with deore gear and cheap to replace.

Aman

Likes Bikes
I haven't had a bike with XT but it sounds like there just lighter, stronger, and a little smoother.

I don't know much but under pressure are the grears ment to slip a little when changing gears under pressure, espesially when your going to a smaller gear !!!

Ty

Eats Squid
Cruz, what do you know, you don't even have derailleurs on you bike.

just kidding, damn rolhoff users

wombat

Lives in a hole
Hmmm, Deore.....well disregarding the obvious variables like chain and sprocket wear, there's a few things to say about Deore. Personally, I really don't like the shifters; for the record, I'm not a big fan of any of the 9 speed stuff, I maintain it was a stupid idea; but the Deore shifters in particular have a very flimsy feel about them. Sorry, I can't really describe it, but XT shifters definately feel like they have a stiffer, crisper action.
Derauillers; well to be honest I wouldn't be too worried. A derauiller is just a glorified spring anyway, so performance gains from upsepeccing to XT would be minimal, there probably would be a good increase in durability though.
Cassettes/chains; for my mind this is one of the most important areas and one of the most often overlooked. If you can stretch, go to a HG 70, or even better a 90. Big step up over the Deore level 50.

Never disregard your cables either. Spend the money and get some good stiff teflon lined outers, and maybe some coated inners too.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
i have a deore on my stinky...and yer, seems to change the gears without much fuss, which is waht is spossed to do.. if u go thru lots of derailer (which u probably dont cause ur riding XC) deore is all u need.

on another note, do the shifters ur using (even when brand new) affect how good ur gear shifts r.
cause my 125's got a alivio shifter and 105 der. and i was wanderin if i was getting as good shifts as i could...

stylinruss

Likes Dirt
I have deore shifters on my bike and they work fine, they don't feel as nice as more expensive shifters but they do what theyre supposed to. The deore rear derailleur on the other hand, is a different matter. Deore deraillers suck ass, they don't shift accurately, the springs in them are not strong enough so they slap around and the jockey wheels break very easily (I had 2 break while I had a deore derailer for no good reason, JRA if you believe it). Put an LX on, they only cost a bit more and they work soooooooooo much better.

S.

ex offender
I use Deore shifters with XT derailleurs, and really it should be the other way round. The shifters make a big difference and there's no real way to destroy them, but derailleurs don't make as much difference and they get destroyed all the time.

wombat

Lives in a hole
CHEWY said:
on another note, do the shifters ur using (even when brand new) affect how good ur gear shifts r.
cause my 125's got a alivio shifter and 105 der. and i was wanderin if i was getting as good shifts as i could...
The shifters you're using probably have the biggest impact on the quality of your shifts, but if you've got Alivio then I'll assume that you're running 8 speed, so my advice is DO NOT get Deore or LX or XT or anything (unless you're getting old 8 speed stuff). 9 speed is not worth the hassle.

grovesy

Likes Dirt
Ive got lx shifters an deore rear mech on my dually and I'm forever adjusting the barrels to get a clean shift,also the deore seems to skip/bounce around more than I like.
That said my hardtail has xt throughout and does'nt play up at all.

You pay for quality imo.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
wombat said:
CHEWY said:
The shifters you're using probably have the biggest impact on the quality of your shifts, but if you've got Alivio then I'll assume that you're running 8 speed, so my advice is DO NOT get Deore or LX or XT or anything (unless you're getting old 8 speed stuff). 9 speed is not worth the hassle.
thanks for the advice wombat, but cant u buy to end 8sp shifters?? i also had no intention of going 9sp! i was quite certain my mate bought a brand new 8sp XT shifter...hmmm

wombat

Lives in a hole
CHEWY said:
thanks for the advice wombat, but cant u buy to end 8sp shifters?? i also had no intention of going 9sp! i was quite certain my mate bought a brand new 8sp XT shifter...hmmm
It's quite possible that he bought an XT 8spd shifter set. My boss did a few months ago, but they aren't current. Shimano no longer produce 8spd shifters in anything higher than Alivio, but Shimano Australia seemed to have a good supply of the second last run of XT 8spds, so shops could order them at will. I don't know if they've run out yet. Look into it though, because they are very nice if you can get them.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
might have to get in quick then or i might miss out, any idea of how much they cost? and why did they stop making them, seems like a pretty stupid thing to do....

wombat

Lives in a hole
Dammit, I've got the box they came in sitting on my lap, but we didn't price it. I'm won't try and give you a price because I only ever knew cost. Whatever they want though it's worth it (don't take that too seriously).
Going to 9spd was the dumbest move they've made, but they can't produce an 8spd shifter because that would be like admitting that 9spd is in some way inferior.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
The Sram Rocket and Attack twist shifters (shimano compatable) are still in 8 or 9 speed and the new Sram trigger shifters are too. I also used only 8 speed, Attack shifters with xtr front and back, but would never put a Shimano chain on my bike again, Sachs/Sram or Conix/Wipperman or better still a Rohloff chain.
Yeh Ty, 14 speed and no front or rear mech is great, perfect shift time after time.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Chewy, I bought the one in the Trading Post in Melbourne, I think you may have told me about it here.