Shimano Shadow+ Clutch Adjustment

teK--

Eats Squid
Don't engage the clutch without the cover on unless u apply pressure to clutch pivot. Follow the Shimano instructions.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty simple to do. Personally, I'd have the clutch set as lightly as you can get away with. The one way bearing on my XTR has worn out, leaving the cage with a very harsh, jerky and noisy movement. Sent away for possible warranty, probably won't ever find out though because Aus Post have lost it (hopeless).

Anyhow I'd probably avoid having the adjustment excessively tight, if you can get away with it.

teK--

Eats Squid
Pretty simple to do. Personally, I'd have the clutch set as lightly as you can get away with. The one way bearing on my XTR has worn out, leaving the cage with a very harsh, jerky and noisy movement. Sent away for possible warranty, probably won't ever find out though because Aus Post have lost it (hopeless).

Anyhow I'd probably avoid having the adjustment excessively tight, if you can get away with it.
You need to grease the clutch pivot (not the friction band) occasionally it removes the notchiness. I have my clutch set as tight as possible (4.5Nm I think it is) and it's fine.

acads

Likes Dirt
I've adjusted mine to 5nm as it needed a little more help to keep the chain on after a solid year and many km's of usage , all good now .

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You need to grease the clutch pivot (not the friction band) occasionally it removes the notchiness. I have my clutch set as tight as possible (4.5Nm I think it is) and it's fine.
Off topic but I pulled the entire assembly apart and serviced it to no avail. The one way bearing inside the clutch is responsible for the movement and the friction, and after disassembling this I could see pitting in the race that the bearing rollers fit into. It's simply worn out and running that friction band too tight is what would have caused it. You guys can do what you like but based on my experience you are best off limiting clutch tension if you can.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
Tensioned mine up one full turn of the little adjustment nut on my Zee RD. Noticeably harder to shift up gears but it feels more solid.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To the OP, make sure the mechanism hasn't snapped. Most guys I ride with have had theirs snap. There is a replacement part but Shimano Australia are out of stock because the issue is so widespread. Otherwise just follow your link guide. Very easy to nip small bolt up to increase tension.