Shimano pedals: PD-M540 vs PD-M770? XC

PJS

Likes Dirt
I currently have M520's on my bike and am going to fit them on my girlfriends, so I need a replacement. I figured while the dollars good I'd have a look at the models above.
Is there much difference in the crispness/ease of clipping?

The M520's are 380g while the next step up M540's are 350g so there may be a little benefit there. The 540's have a better spindle from what I've read.

The difference in weight between the M540's and M770 is 0g and look like they have the same spindle, so is there a difference in the clipping or mud shedding or other....? (The new M780 is available but is 343g so basically the same, slightly more foot contact apparently)

What about the M980's? They're only 310g but still look very similar in the cleat area.

I guess I'm just trying to find out, apart from weight, what benefit you gain upgrading. Especially 540 vs 770's

Thanks very much.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
I currently have M520's on my bike and am going to fit them on my girlfriends, so I need a replacement. I figured while the dollars good I'd have a look at the models above.
Is there much difference in the crispness/ease of clipping?

The M520's are 380g while the next step up M540's are 350g so there may be a little benefit there. The 540's have a better spindle from what I've read.

The difference in weight between the M540's and M770 is 0g and look like they have the same spindle, so is there a difference in the clipping or mud shedding or other....? (The new M780 is available but is 343g so basically the same, slightly more foot contact apparently)

What about the M980's? They're only 310g but still look very similar in the cleat area.

I guess I'm just trying to find out, apart from weight, what benefit you gain upgrading. Especially 540 vs 770's

Thanks very much.
I use both 540s and 770s and have never noticed a difference in use. In fact, the 770s corrode (superficially) more easily. I buy nothing but 540s now.

- Joel

PJS

Likes Dirt
Thanks Joel. Do you get a long life out of both? - Have found a few reports saying the bearings on different models become a problem. Looking into it, that seems to be the big differnce as you go up in price. (top of the line have flourine or something)
How often are you supposed to service these things!? Is it easy/expensive for parts?

I'm thinking more seriously about buying the newer model 780's or 980's (won't worry about the 770's anymore). Apparently these have better shoe contact then models before, shed mud better than the cheapies, and have better bearings. But are they really that much better? (I have to justify them to the girlfriend :D) I'm tempted to get these so they'll 'last me into the future'. Not sure if it works that way with pedals though. How fast do bearings wear out?

PS prices:
M540 $54
M780 $90
M980 $147
All from overseas, or $168 for M980 express post in Aust. Are these 3x the pedal?

Last edited:

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
I have never serviced any of my shimano pedals except some really old 959s. the 540/770 axle design is much better than the 520 in terms of bearing longevity and water resistance.

They use loose ball bearings so you can service them without replacing parts. Parts are available pretty cheaply though if you need them. Shimano is good at keeping old spares in production and available.

Now crank brother Eggbeaters, don't get me started...

- Joel

PJS

Likes Dirt
Thanks again. I'm more and more tempted to buy the 980's. (Stupidly bought a mag that had a good review on them). Seems like they could be something that would last a few years?

The main thing I don't like about the 520's is that even though I have them tight to clip in and out of, there is still a lot of side to side motion before they unclip (think that's the float they talked about?). I wonder if there is just as much of that motion in the top end shoes? (At least having more shoe contact might lessen that?)

Cheers

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks again. I'm more and more tempted to buy the 980's. (Stupidly bought a mag that had a good review on them). Seems like they could be something that would last a few years?

Cheers
Do it. I did 4months ago and was blown away. Still drool a tiny bit over that solid CLICK everytime I step on them, so smooth, and less movement side to side when you are clipped in too. Completely rebuildable and not much compares when it comes to weight with a double sided cleat. I use them for bmx and absolutely adore them! Starting to see them more around the track too, will be great when they actually start bringing them in to Aus

bh78

Likes Dirt
Do it. I did 4months ago and was blown away. Still drool a tiny bit over that solid CLICK everytime I step on them, so smooth, and less movement side to side when you are clipped in too. Completely rebuildable and not much compares when it comes to weight with a double sided cleat. I use them for bmx and absolutely adore them! Starting to see them more around the track too, will be great when they actually start bringing them in to Aus
The 980's rock - been using them for six months and they were a nice upgrade from the 520's I had previously.

PJS

Likes Dirt
Wow! That's a great price. Thanks for the link. Have just bit the bullet and ordered some express post from oz though. I've got 2 weeks off work and want to fit in a lot of riding if I can shake this cold I have.
Girlfriends a primary teacher so has the two weeks off as well. Will be an interesting crash course with clipless somewhere in the near future. Hope I survive to tell the tale :D
Will let you know how the pedals go. Thanks again for all the input.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I use both 540s and 770s and have never noticed a difference in use. In fact, the 770s corrode (superficially) more easily. I buy nothing but 540s now.

- Joel
Same, got 540's on all my bikes.
They last for ages. Mine have been on for about two years and still run as good as the day I got them.
I imagine they will be running smooth for many years to come.
Never used 770s, but if I ever upgrade I will get the new XT ones with the large platform (trickle down from 2010 XTR).

Lorday

Eats Squid
The 980's rock - been using them for six months and they were a nice upgrade from the 520's I had previously.
This. I actually have three pairs of 520's (two pairs in use) and would happily trade them for a my 980's (xtr race)
They are sexy, sexy, work, sexy, and are something you take between bikes.

PJS

Likes Dirt
Well, I couldn't be bothered waiting any longer for this cold to bugger off so went for a quick ride around the bush at the end of the street.

The 980's do clip crisply in comparison with my 520's, but are harder to get to clip. I don't have them cinched up much, think theyre 8 clicks in (had them tighter but backed off to see if it made it clip in easier). I weigh just under 75kg. 520's were wound up to 17 clicks and would clip in after 1/4 stroke, these seem to only clip in at the bottom of the pedal stroke. There's less side to side play (but still some) and you can feel more support under the foot from those raised bits. The pedals are easy to clip out of, even when I had them tightened more.
Another thing I'm getting used to apart from the pedal is using SH-51 cleats. The last ones I had were SH-56. Never looked into what made these different. Had a couple of panicked moments finding out ;) No stacks thankfully. I wonder how much the change in cleat model has decreased the side to side play. Definitely won't go back to SH-56 now I know why they're different. I used to wonder why my feet would blast off sometimes when trying to hop/lift the rear.

So far I'm loving these things. Look and sound great. I hope to go on a decent ride tomorrow. Come on garlic - do your thing!