Shagged crank arm: Options?

Science

Likes Dirt
Not for my Mountain bike, but for my fixie.
I have a set of Truvativ Elita GXP compact drive cranks, and due to an issue in the original installation, i've worn the splines in the aluminium on the left crank arm.
I'm trying to find a fix for this, as the arm knocks back and forth a few mm and is driving me spare.

Can truvativ cranks be bought as individual arms, or am i in the market for new cranks?

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
I have a set of Truvativ Elita GXP compact drive cranks, and due to an issue in the original installation, i've worn the splines in the aluminium on the left crank arm.
I'm trying to find a fix for this, as the arm knocks back and forth a few mm and is driving me spare.

Can truvativ cranks be bought as individual arms, or am i in the market for new cranks?
You're sure it's the arms and not the BB? Or is the crankarm is coming loose or shifting on the spline?

- Joel

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Hi Science - I have also had problems with the same cranks on my commuter - they are not made for stomping - fixie style. Even if you find a replacement crank the hex nut will come lose again - no matter how careful you are with a torque wrench or type of locktight you use.

Then again I've a reputation for being a crank/BB destroyer. The only road cranks that have survived me so far are campag ultra torque with the join in the middle.

Back onto the MTB threat --> The Shimano crank design (clamp onto the shaft) are survivers so far, lucky 'cause the speciaized campag crank copies cost a mint.

regards, Carpetrunner

Science

Likes Dirt
i have no problem with the nut loosening, we just stuffed up the original install and shagged the splines on the arm.

$170 for XT cranks you say?....

wonder if they do a further discount if i buy 4 sets...