SGS 5100 rear derailleur

PJO

in me vL comy
I've just fitted the above derailleur to my bike running an 11-46 11-speed cassette.
Couldn't get it to change properly if I had the stopper plate in position, the upper jockey wheel was way too far away from the cassette even with the b screw all the way out.
Once I fitted it with the stopper plate out of the way I got perfect shifting.
The Shimano instructions don't mention this as an option. Anyone foresee any issues.

PJO

in me vL comy
Well @PJO not sure why it works without the stopper plate. Does the b-screw engage the derailleur hanger tab?

PJO

in me vL comy
Yeah it does but not on the flat part so I'm a bit concerned that it might bight into it.
It changes really well because the jockey wheel tracks very close to the cassette in all gears.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Can you file down the stopper plate so it’s still there, but brings the gear clearance down to (almost) what you have now?

PJO

in me vL comy
View attachment 386668

If it's anything like the M7100 derailleur I ran without the stopper plate though, yes, the b screw will eat through the hanger if not sitting flat and square on the tab.
Thanks. This is my main concern. Looks like I'm going to have to find an alternative way.

Can you file down the stopper plate so it’s still there, but brings the gear clearance down to (almost) what you have now?
Maybe. I think it will need to find a way to protect the derailleur hanger from the b-screw after @Isaakk's response.

PJO

in me vL comy
I know I'm running it out of spec with a 46 low sprocket when the stated minimum is 51.
The difference in radius is a touch over 10mm between the two low sprockets which seems well within adjustment limits...