Setting new Pikes

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,

I just installed a new set of RS Pikes on my bike and setting them up is I believe a science to get them right or feel right. So I want people's input into what setting there have on their Pikes to compare what others are setting. I will start off with my settings. Hope this will help others as well.

Bike: Yeti SB66
Model Pikes: 2014 Solo air 150mm 26"
sag%/Psi: 20%/65PSI
no. click of LSC from full (clockwise) 7 clicks
no. clicks of rebound from turtle to rabbit (fast) 9 clicks
no. tokens: 1 token
Fully kitted weight: 70kgs

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
Model Pikes: 2015 RCT3 Solo Air 26" 150mm
sag%/Psi: 22%/62PSI
no. click of LSC from full (clockwise) 5 clicks
no. clicks of rebound from turtle to rabbit (fast) 8 clicks
no. tokens: 0 token
Fully kitted weight: 85kgs

look forward to hearing what people here recommend for sag on these pikes

edit: thread got me thinking and I ended up going for a pedal around the block
fiddled with sag (now at 25% @55~psi) and set everything back to middle (LSC and rebound) ..... square one essentially.

Last edited:

Wes/TRUCK

Likes Dirt
Bike: Giant Reign 2012
Model Pikes: 2014 RCT3 Solo Air 26" 150mm
sag%/Psi: 20%/80PSI
no. click of LSC from full (clockwise) 11 clicks
no. clicks of rebound from turtle to rabbit (fast) 3 clicks
Fully kitted weight: 95kgs

teK--

Eats Squid
Geez...Good job ruining the thread jimmy.... Lol
If you have actually read the thread (which I have) then you'll know it doesn't list the the details asked by the op
ie. Bike, model, weight, sag/psi etc
Yep I read the whole thread :)

I don't think it's practical to just copy someone else's settings because there are so many variables. Sure you can use them as a starting point (the point of this thread), but the MTBR thread will help you to fine tune to the nth degree.

wavike

Likes Dirt
Some forum topics are indicating that there is a big difference in performance between the OEM pikes and RCT3. Nothing to add in the setup but interested in peoples experience now a lot of the 15 bikes are coming out with pikes, but is a pike a pike???

dug8713

Likes Dirt
This is my set up. What's interesting is the sag % vs air pressure is lower compared to some of the other set ups. Probably because I measured the fork sag whilst seated.

Model Pikes: 2014 Solo air 150mm 26" RCT3
sag%/Psi: 22%/50PSI
no. click of LSC from full (clockwise) 4 clicks
no. clicks of rebound from turtle to rabbit (fast) 6 clicks
Fully kitted weight: 75kgs

Question for other Pike users, does anyone else on the RCT3 cartridge only use the "open" setting for everything?

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
This is my set up. What's interesting is the sag % vs air pressure is lower compared to some of the other set ups. Probably because I measured the fork sag whilst seated.

Question for other Pike users, does anyone else on the RCT3 cartridge only use the "open" setting for everything?
Hi mate,

I measured mine seating on the seat as well. Currently I have mine set in open, don't think I have tried it in pedal but maybe on my next ride.

Dan.

dug8713

Likes Dirt
correct way to set sag is in attack position
You are correct, I haven't been keeping an eye on my air pressure. I do remember increasing compression by 1 click & decreasing rebound by 1 click to adjust for the lower air pressure.

Sag %/air pressure in attack position is 20%/65 psi.

Wes/TRUCK

Likes Dirt

yes pretty much on open all the time.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bike: Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
Model Pikes: 2013 Solo air 150mm 26" RCT3
sag%/Psi: 25%/105PSI
no. click of LSC from full (clockwise) 5 clicks
Fully kitted weight: 100kgs

This isn't in attack position btw, it's when I'm sat on the bike with natural weight over the bars.
Left fully open all the time. Interestingly I've considered lowering the pressure and using the trail setting. It just feels so smooth yet supportive at this pressure and I don't want to ruin the ride.

Flint

Likes Dirt
correct way to set sag is in attack position
Recent articles do not fully agree with that statement. They say you set you sag in the position you spend most of the time:

XC / Trail / AM: on the seat
Downhill: In the attack position

I guess it comes down you your riding style but when I ride my Bronson at Stromlo I spend most of the time on the seat. The time spent bombing down the hill in attack position is probably only 10% of my total riding time.

Extract:

But first, make sure your fork and shock both have their compression damping set to their fully Open/Descend positions, then hop on the bike…

“Understand that when you set your sag, it has nothing to do with your body weight (sitting) directly over the BB or shock,” says Riffle. “It has everything to do with how your weight is pressing on the bike in a neutral ride position. So, obviously, you’re going to want to set your sag accordingly.”

To figure out how you should set it up, Fitzsimmons breaks it out like so:

Downhill bike: Set sag in a standing attack position.
Trail/Enduro bike: Set Sag in a seated position for every day riding and standing if you are bike park riding
Cross Country bike: Set sag in the seated position

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Do you guys notice very much effect from the LSC? When I rode Chops' Pike and messed around I could barely tell the diff. Then rode a Fox 36 RC2 and also could barely tell any difference between no LSC and full LSC. No diff to brake dive but the slightest diff to pedal bob.

I've also noticed barely any effect on SID and Revelation RCT3 but I think those might use a slightly different design? Or maybe not.

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
After riding around Loftus this morning. I'm adding some more air to my Pikes. Sag indicator tells me I'm using most of my travel. So I'm going to try increasing the PSI to 75PSI. So the new details are:

Model Pikes: 2014 Solo air 150mm 26"
sag%/Psi: 20%/75PSI - not sure what the sag is now.
no. click of LSC from full (clockwise) 7 clicks
no. clicks of rebound from turtle to rabbit (fast) 9 clicks
Fully kitted weight: 70kgs

The rebound and LSC felt good so I'm going to leave them for now.

ChopSticks

Banned
been 2~ weeks.... anyone fiddled with their pikes and had better results?

Looking around and found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBGKEprUi1c

Theres a few tips (imo) which are really useful.
shall follow it once my 0w30 oil arrives!

Updated:

Model Pikes: 2015 RCT3 Solo Air 26" 150mm
sag%/Psi: 26~% / 55PSI
no. click of LSC from full (clockwise) 6 clicks
no. clicks of rebound from turtle to rabbit (fast) 8 clicks
Fully kitted weight: 85kgs

ChopSticks

Banned
Pike owners!

just did my first lower leg service... following this link:
[video=youtube;zBGKEprUi1c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBGKEprUi1c[/video]

First thing I noticed differently was when I release all the pressure... the fork did NOT bottom out like the vid.
Can you guys confirm if its happened to you?
I then tried to bottom the fork out (with my hands) while depressing the valve... but encounted ALOT of resistance... closest I could get was about 10cm~ of travel.
Would theis indicate the damper charger being 'overfilled'? or something else?

Also... many people have reported the lowers lacked oil from factory.
I only had a few drops come out of the drive side, with abit more on the NDS. Def not the 5 and 15mLs thats suppose to be there.

Will set sag on tomorrows ride as see how much better they feel :noidea:

Last edited: