Selling an SX trail

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
Hey folks (mods - sorry if this is the wrong place)

Im trying to decide whether its worth selling my 2008 SX trail as Im not sure if i will get any money for it. Its amazing to ride but I cant justify having two bikes when a baby is on the way. Its in reasonable condition as can be expected for a bike of this age. If you guys can give me some guidance on a selling price that would be great.

Spec is

2008 SX trail
2008 Fox Talas
DHX 5.0 rear shock
SLX cranks
Chris King headset
Ringle Hubs (the loud clicky one)
Mavic EX 325 rims
E13 guide (needs a new roller)
SLX cranks
X9 rear mech
X9 shifter
DMR V8's
Funn Bar / stem
Thompson seatpost
SDG saddle
Hayes 9 brakes (the worst part of the bike!)
Rear high roller super tacky (90% remaining)
front minion super tacky (90% remaining)

Spare pads and a spare super tacky new high roller.

And a pic -

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would guess $1300-$1600. I had a quality specced reign x that I could not sell, even at $900. I've seen very highly specced reign x's, enduro's and similar bikes start off high $2k+ but they all worked down to under $1500.

However the SX Trail (or any Spec. Enduro of that shape) are a little more rare and they were great bikes. This one also has the cool graphics so It might do well. On the other hand, I thought the Enduro's also had a severe cracking problem. Not sure if it existed in the SX trails (probably not) but it could affect it.

IMO It's not worth selling such a sweet bike for the crap money you'll get. But if it's purely an excess bike and you need the money... well start high and drop it $100 a fortnight until it sells? or chuck it up for sale as an EOI/Offers.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can't get $1,200 to $1,400 for this, then people have no taste whatsoever. Such a sweet bike.

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys.

I will likely keep it until my next pay day comes then decide how im going. I have two credit cards to pay off which are pretty damn high but I could just save the bike and skimp for half a year lol.

I do sort of feel like I would regret selling so we'l see how i go!

sedifus

Likes Dirt
There really isn't much of a sellers market at the moment, too many people trying to off-load bikes. I would've put it more towards the $1000 mark given it is 5 years old.
Whatever you chose to do with it, good luck.

moorey

call me Mia
As has been said, SHOULD be worth well over $1000, but you'll probably struggle to get $1000.
Ive bought 4 sh bikes in the last 6 months. All for between 50-60% of what they were "worth" and originally listed for.
Good luck with whatever you do.

rone

Eats Squid
Keep the bike and sell the baby. The fun part is making it. After that they are just noisy, smelly and increasingly expensive.

T-Rex

Template denier
Sold one a couple of years ago for $1,800, I think it was an '07 (it was a brown frame), spec was a bit better but comparable to yours.

EDIT: Just to clarify, sold an SX with a brown frame. Had a kid with a brown frame at one point, caused by nappy failure. Statement above about them being noisy, smelly and increasingly expensive is accurate, in particular when they are 16 and male.

SX's are a brilliant DH bike for a small/light rider. Key question for me is the frame size. The one we sold was a S, which is ideal for a small kid, and small kid's DH bikes are hard to find, which helps support the selling price compared to full sized bikes, of which there are many in the second hand market.

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
i thought the same when i found out we were having twins, sold off my Zook, sold off some of my other toys, gave my beloved Craftworks Rail to my nephew(which he doesnt ride, just plays Xbox all day:mad2:)..
12months on all is settling down again, am starting to get back out more often, have built up a DJ bike with all my "Extras", now have a tidy Nomad to blast around on...did i regret selling any of my stuff of at the time..YOU BET!
if you can hang onto it, hang onto it!..its gonna bring in bugger all 2nd hand, and going to cost you a shitang load more to tool back up in 12mths time when all is good again..and if you keep her, it gives you somewhere to go when that whinging baby noise just gets to you. go out to the garage and just sit on the trusty steed, feel the brakes, pump the shocks. Whatever it takes to keep the dream alive, believe me, it works!!

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
i thought the same when i found out we were having twins, sold off my Zook, sold off some of my other toys, gave my beloved Craftworks Rail to my nephew(which he doesnt ride, just plays Xbox all day:mad2:)..
12months on all is settling down again, am starting to get back out more often, have built up a DJ bike with all my "Extras", now have a tidy Nomad to blast around on...did i regret selling any of my stuff of at the time..YOU BET!
if you can hang onto it, hang onto it!..its gonna bring in bugger all 2nd hand, and going to cost you a shitang load more to tool back up in 12mths time when all is good again..and if you keep her, it gives you somewhere to go when that whinging baby noise just gets to you. go out to the garage and just sit on the trusty steed, feel the brakes, pump the shocks. Whatever it takes to keep the dream alive, believe me, it works!!
There is no threat about me having something to ride as I still have a nice new Giant Glory which im riding all the time.

Thanks for the advice though, I really do think I will regret it. I reckon I will hold onto it for a few more weeks then see how I go.