Selling advice (not selling in this post, just which method is better)

gc49

Likes Bikes
OK, this isn't a for sale thing, just asking an opinion on what people think is the best option for selling my old bike.

Situation;

I've had an FS XC bike for 3 years or so, and after purchasing a new one (upgrade to a carbon 29'er with geometry which suit's me better), found a crack in the frame of the old bike while preparing it to sell. The frame has now been warrantied (cracking where it did is a well known and documented issue with that brand/model).

The issue I now have with the bike is that the replacement frame is no longer the top alloy frame that I had, but a more recent top of their range full carbon one, but the bikes still got the slightly lower spec parts that came with the model I bought, rather than the full XTR kit and higher level forks that would have come with the frame it now has (which hasn't been ridden at all).

So my question is, how should I advertise/sell this? I see I have the following 3 options;

1. Advertise as the original model/year but note the full carbon frame and bump the price somewhat (how much I'm not sure)
2. Advertise as the new frame year model with notes about the componentry and sell for significantly under what they'd go for with the normal components they'd have. or
3. split it and sell the frame by itself, then try to get a few hundred or so for the componentry (XT level stuff) and wheelset

To consider when answering is that the frame and bike in question are 26", which haven't been available here in that brand/model for a few years.

Which way should I do this (I'm thinking 1 or 3, as 2 looks a little dishonest to me, even if I do note it in the ad)? Any feedback or other options I've missed (apart from taking it off my hands as it's no longer relevant as a 26'er :bounce: )is welcome.

0psi

Eats Squid
Just list it as what it is, this frame and these parts. So long as the buyer knows what they are buying by way of a spec list then it doesn't really matter what you 'list' it as. Hell, list it as a wheeled Camel for all I care as long as there is a spec list within the listing.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
if it were me, i would advertise it as just the bike model, then in the add stipulate it is an **** frame with **** componentry or whatever the year(s) may be.

ie. 26" Giant Trance - 2013 X1 frame, with 2010 X2 componentry.

0psi

Eats Squid
Giant Trance

Frame: Giant Trance Advanced SL
Fork: Suntour POS
Cranks: Deore
Brakes: Tektro
Etc. etc.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Sell it as what it is. It's dishonest to advertise the bike for what it was if it doesn't comply to any off-the-shelf spec list any more.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I would go with option 3 and sell the frame as unused warranty replacement, that will get you the best price for the frame and then sell the other parts later