Sections of XC track used for events?

Reigner

Likes Bikes
G'day,

Was hoping someone could confirm the route used for XC events at Awaba. Is it correct that the first lap (8km) includes the section close to the main road (leaves from carpark area) but doesn't include the hill climb, and subsequent laps (of 6km length) cut out the first section as well, by cutting across at the end of the DH line area?

a) Is this right?

b) Is it the same every meet?

c) Is the turn off to cut out the hill the one where you turn right instead of turning left and immediately start heading up the hill? (my memory of the section is a bit hazy, haven't ridden the loop many times).

I would like to go there one afternoon this week and see how i go before riding this sunday :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ill have a go at confirming this for you.

Start for XC is at the DH finish line. From there it goes fireroad to carpark to trailhead. Out to Siberia and back to DH finish line. You only ride this first section once. Then depending on which grade you ride in, A B C D or E grade, will depend on which loop you ride from here.

Yellow loop is the shortest distance back to the start point. E grade men and D grade women. 4km from memory. 6km race distance.
Blue loop is the middle distance. 2km extension of yellow loop. Includes features like Veggie Patch, Salad Bowl, Murdderhorn and AutoAlley. D grade men and C grade women. 6km from memory. 2 laps of Blue loop. 14km race distance
Red loop is the longest loop. Once again an extension of blue loop. Starts with Camelback Hill/The Straw, hardcore pitch climb or switch back option. Well worth the climb as the trail at the peak and subsequent decent is pure magic and lots of fun. This eventually drops you back onto the blue loop at the Salad Bowl. A grade, B grade and C grade men, A and B grade women. A grade men do 5 laps..

Generally YES it stays the same each race.
Yes the turn for red loop is left and up the hill, blue loop goes right and down the double track.
Hope this helps

Last edited:

Reigner

Likes Bikes
Ok thanks mate that does help, so its as follows;

E grade: Siberia + 1 x yellow

D grade: siberia + 2 x blue

C grade: siberia + 3 x red

B grade: siberia + 4 x red

A grade: siberia + 5 x red

???

If so, sounds good to me :) Those A graders are crazy :p

Thanks again.

lordflog

Likes Dirt
That's been the pattern in recent times, and would be what I'd be practicing/training for. Having said that, our new XC Coordinator for 2011 doesn't mind mixing it up a bit - so pay special attention at the pre-race rider briefing.

Good luck!

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
in round 1, we didn't go up the big hill, so missed that sweet descent. So, going off the description above, it sounds like we did the blue lap.

in the rider briefing for round 1, they said they'd shortened the race because it was a bit hot.

hopefully, they do the full red lap this weekend.

Reigner

Likes Bikes
Sclyde2, it sounds like thats what happened in R1 then and thats where i had heard about cutting out the hill all together.

I was there to watch the DH for R1 and caught what was probably the end of the XC A grade. All i saw of course was them at the end of the DH line there.

Thanks again.