SCUM 4 hr Enduro (and upcomming 6 hr Enduro)

Newton

Likes Dirt
Competed in my first off road event yesterday down at Nowra with the SCUM crew. They ran a 4 hr enduro on their Superbowl course, they added some extra fire trail to the course to make it a liitle over 7km's. Race results are not up yet but there where well over 100 riders there on the day. Riders where greated with a perfect Autumn day, no rain in the previous couple of days had the track dry.

The SCUM crew know their stuff, the day was very well organized. Everything from a mashalling marqee, BBQ to portaloo in tow.

I teamed up with a mate to ride as a duo in the event,either of us had riden a race before, although we have riden off road for about six months.

After given instructions about race riders set off in a mass start, the bunch thinned out quickly over the first 1-2kms and the event settled into running laps. Riders were very friendly with passing requests being patient and friendly. I was passed by some elite riders and a big warm "thanks mate, appreciated" was pleasing to hear.

Michael & myself had a great day, we set out to have fun, we thoroughly enjoyed the day, chatted to heaps of friendly folk, even the elite riders (Mark Fenner & co) spent heaps of time talking and joking with others. The forest down there is awesome ..

I've been to plenty of club road race events and don't rate them as good as the vibe I got at this event. The SCUM crew deserve a big thumbs up for the day - thanks ...:D

Last edited:

jordn.stp

Likes Dirt
sounds like it was an amazing day, wish i had of made it down there, darn soccer...

definitely next year, this makes me even more excited!

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Totally agree with you Newton it was a great day, track, and vibe. Went down there with a mate and we both decided we might have to put a few more SCUM events in the calender, well done guys love ya work.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Sensational event. I had not ridden this place before and apart from some dust the track was really sweet.
For a $5 entry fee who could possilby complain about anything this day had to offer.

On another note this was the wifes first foray into an enduro event so we partnered up for a mixed pairs entry and walked away with 3rd place. A great start or her !

Last edited:

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Another plus from me. Great track although I'm glad I did a practice lap before the race - some of those obstacles could hurt you if your attention wanders!

$5 is great value for the day. Was my first serious attempt racing solo. Happy with 9 laps although I need to stop having little rests in transition!

Despite the cramps at the end of 4hrs I was still loving the track.

Few loose sections one of which caught me out hard but the A & B lines are really well thought out which makes it great track to race on for riders of all skills.

Definitely be back for the next 6 hour in July.

Last edited:

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
some of those obstacles could hurt you if your attention wanders!

Yes they do hurt you if your mind wanders, I copped a dead leg and a sore chest from an almost major mishap on the bridge across the old creek bed at the bottom of hill, tree stump on the right hand side of the bridge stopped from going head first into the creek bed. Note to self aim bike in right direction before crossing bridge. Couldn't ride that bridge for the rest of the day after that, my hearts still racing.

jab80

Likes Bikes
Was looking for an event in July, think I just found it! Sounds the goods, sampled some of Nowra's riding at the MTB 101. The big question is: will it be run too close to round 4 of the WWS, and if it is will I be man enough to do both?

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Was looking for an event in July, think I just found it! Sounds the goods, sampled some of Nowra's riding at the MTB 101. The big question is: will it be run too close to round 4 of the WWS, and if it is will I be man enough to do both?
Oh you aint seen nuthin yet - the Coondoo track is a step up from the MTB 101 track - not as hard on the body but lots of fast cornering and lots of fun.

Do the SCUM 6hr as well as the WWS - you'll know the track backwards by then!

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
The MTB101 track was nothing like the SCUM trails, at all. If you liked MTB101 you'll love the SCUM tracks like Coondoo (though after the 4hr I have to say Superbowl is my fav Nowra track)
Also Coondoo is no where near as punishing as the MTB101 track.

Newton

Likes Dirt
Why not go down and sample the track yourself before the event. I've been down to try out the tracks before most events, did the superbowl & butterfly (they're close to each other), before the recent enduro. I ran a couple of laps around cabbage tree yesterday, it's flat, flowing, fast, not to technical but very enjoyable - the layout keeps you thinking whilst your at pace.

Coondoo Road, Currambene State Forest Sth Nowra
Track Length 6.33km
Track Direction is Clockwise

Loation for the Merida - X-Fusion 6Hr Enduro

Last edited:

jab80

Likes Bikes
The MTB101 track was nothing like the SCUM trails, at all. If you liked MTB101 you'll love the SCUM tracks like Coondoo (though after the 4hr I have to say Superbowl is my fav Nowra track)
Also Coondoo is no where near as punishing as the MTB101 track.
Oh you aint seen nuthin yet - the Coondoo track is a step up from the MTB 101 track - not as hard on the body but lots of fast cornering and lots of fun.

Do the SCUM 6hr as well as the WWS - you'll know the track backwards by then!
Good to hear it's not as rough as the 101 track, it was pretty punishing.

Gixer, challenge accepted! Newton, cheers for the maps.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Newton,

I think those maps may be a bit out of date. The lap distance for Coondoo track is now 8.5km. I think they added to it before last years WWS 8 hour.

Jab80 - glad you accepted the challenge. Now I better man up and do both too. Think pairs for the 8 hour and might see if I can do the 6 hour solo just for the hell of it although I'll break out the Trance for that.

Newton

Likes Dirt
From the SCUM site...

Coondoo - XC/Trail

Located 15 minutes South of Nowra, Coondoo is the original home of SCUM's Endurance races. Originally 6km in length, the course was extended out to 8.5km for Rnd 3 of the 2008 BMC Working Week Series. With a couple of small changes in altitude and plenty of course variation this is one of the jewels in SCUM's crown. Another of SCUM's annual XC race calendar courses as well as being utilised for our four and six hour Endurance events. Single Speeders can choose between a 16 or 18 tooth cog.

The maps above were meant to be a start, the scum site doesn't have course maps up, I've ridden 4 of their courses now, I just head down there and find the start point and run laps to familiarise myself with the layouts. I was lucky enough to meet some SCUM members last Friday who ran me round cabbage tree ...

Last edited:

jab80

Likes Bikes
Newton,

I think those maps may be a bit out of date. The lap distance for Coondoo track is now 8.5km. I think they added to it before last years WWS 8 hour.

Jab80 - glad you accepted the challenge. Now I better man up and do both too. Think pairs for the 8 hour and might see if I can do the 6 hour solo just for the hell of it although I'll break out the Trance for that.
A real man'd do both solo... Just sayin' (gauntlet thrown!:D). Just hooked up a BMC for myself so I've got the motivation now, I wonder if Dirt Works also sell after market Jason English legs, might need a set of those!

gixer7

Likes Dirt
A real man'd do both solo... Just sayin' (gauntlet thrown!:D). Just hooked up a BMC for myself so I've got the motivation now, I wonder if Dirt Works also sell after market Jason English legs, might need a set of those!
haha. I can get out of that by saying I've already agreed to a pairs entry for the 8 hour and it'd be just rude to back out now!

That and I've run out of HTFU pills.