SB66 Reliability

spiked

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

Im pretty keen on purchasing a yeti sb66 and i am curious about those people on here that have already purchased a sb66 whether or not
they are suffering any bearing or bushing issues. There appears to be a few cases on yetifan. I am aware there was an earlier production
run where the bike was specced with the wrong bearings, but there also appears to be some prematurely wearing out. Any feedback on
the bike would be greatly appreciated.

kane1174

Likes Bikes
My wife and I ride one, one is about 6 months and the other 2 months, and have had no issues with either yet. Both are still running just fine.

LabRat

Likes Dirt
No issues to report from me.. had it about 6 months with over 2000km ridden.
It's the love of my life :)

spiked

Likes Bikes
Thanks for your replys thats good to know. Im going to go check some out in the shop next week.
What sort of weight are your complete bikes coming in at? I was considering the carbon model
but i cant justify the price, $800 more for 700g less. Im thinking the money is better put to better
and lighter weight components. What do you guys think?

kiwijohn

Likes Dirt
Mine's 13.4kg with boat anchor Time Z control pedals.
I may have to look at the shock bushing soon, something I've heard about on MTBR. Should probably at the rest while I'm there, though if it ain't broke, I don't want to touch it.

kane1174

Likes Bikes
Done on bathroom scales so give or take some:

Wife's bike
Float 32
X0 drivetrain, brakes and cranks
Cobalt wheelset
Kronolog seatpost
Jett super light pedals
about 13.4kg

Mine
Talas 36
X0 drivetrain
HammerSchmidt cranks
Iodine wheelset
Reverb seatpost
Mallet pedals
About 14.8kg

LabRat

Likes Dirt
I have the XX build kit and running tubeless.
It comes in at 12.8kg and feels even lighter when you're riding and could be lighter if I didn't put a Reverb hydraulic seat post on it :)

In my experience I would advise against Carbon for AM riding, as you generally take some heavy hits and dabble in DH. If you are going for predominantly XC riding then, sure, go carbon.

floody

Wheel size expert
Jeez surely its a bit early in the game for reliability issues to even show their head, or am I too spoiled by non-boutique bikes? To be fair I guess bearing and bushing issues are spec/materials issues, not design/build issues.

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
I have the XX build kit and running tubeless.
It comes in at 12.8kg and feels even lighter when you're riding and could be lighter if I didn't put a Reverb hydraulic seat post on it :)

In my experience I would advise against Carbon for AM riding, as you generally take some heavy hits and dabble in DH. If you are going for predominantly XC riding then, sure, go carbon.
I can't believe that people are still scared of carbon.. technology is a good thing, embrace it! I ride a v10 carbon downhill bike, crash all the time and weight 105kg. Its strong as and I've had no more issues than my previous alu bikes. Companies like yeti and santacruz recommend the carbon bikes to heavier / more aggressive riders as they are stronger.

Go the carbon if you can afford it. Lighter, stiffer and stronger.. Cant go wrong.

floody

Wheel size expert
Agree 100% Bretto, and if you think a high 12/low 13kg long travel, all mountain specced alloy bike will be stronger/more impact proof than an equivalent carbon one, you're dreaming people. Stuff like the alloy SB66 (and most respectable alloy AM bikes that aren't boat anchors) are built very much on the edge of the strength/weight envelope

One solid hit in the wrong spot and alloy is just as dead as carbon. The response that you can weld them etc is no more applicable than saying you can wrap a carbon bike. I would actually think an alloy frame more likely to suffer catastrophic damage.

Last edited:

NickR

Likes Dirt
I can't believe that people are still scared of carbon.. technology is a good thing, embrace it! I ride a v10 carbon downhill bike, crash all the time and weight 105kg. Its strong as and I've had no more issues than my previous alu bikes. Companies like yeti and santacruz recommend the carbon bikes to heavier / more aggressive riders as they are stronger.

Go the carbon if you can afford it. Lighter, stiffer and stronger.. Cant go wrong.

Have a look at this video from Pinkbike with Santa Cruz testing aluminium vs carbon, pretty amazing argument for carbon. http://www.pinkbike.com/video/243228/

I ride a Pivot Firebird. One of my mates just built up a Ibis Mojo HD in the carbon and it is very impressive; stiff but great damping characteristics. If you are keeping the bike long term I would go for the carbon.

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
Jeez surely its a bit early in the game for reliability issues to even show their head, or am I too spoiled by non-boutique bikes? To be fair I guess bearing and bushing issues are spec/materials issues, not design/build issues.
According to my LBS, while discussing replacement of the buggered 18month old bearings in the dogbone link of my ASR, it is not that uncommon in Yeti's.

Mind you he also mentioned at least half a dozen or so other premium brands he had experience with suffering the same issue.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeti's with bearing problems, surely not?! They've had great success with carbon in the past too haven't they, especially with the 575 rear ends? At least they have excellent warranty support! ;)

I've got nothing against carbon being used for an AM bike, but aren't Yeti only one step above Crank Brothers in regards to designing long lasting, reliable, pretty components?

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Yeti's with bearing problems, surely not?! They've had great success with carbon in the past too haven't they, especially with the 575 rear ends? At least they have excellent warranty support! ;)

I've got nothing against carbon being used for an AM bike, but aren't Yeti only one step above Crank Brothers in regards to designing long lasting, reliable, pretty components?
:clap2: Very funny, and managed to justifiably slam CB at the same time...

LabRat

Likes Dirt

I should have stated that I only weigh 50kg so the heavier frame gives me more control... especially when it's windy :)

Buggergrips

Likes Dirt
aluminium is a shite material to make bikes out of. brittle, weak, poor fatigue life. Taiwan is all geared up to make aluminium frames at low unit cost that's why all bikes are more or less the same. (ooo, a hydroformed tube!). they are currently shifting toward carbon at low unit cost. this is a good thing.