Satellite Mobile phones

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Ok so you can get a mob phone now with satellite text messaging

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006313274764.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.5fa838dane32KT&mp=1

Have to sign up with Bullitt https://bullitt.com/en-gb/ Plans start at $10 a month( Possibly) with 30 text messages and free SOS to emergency services.

What do you guys think.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
It's been available for a while with Garmin:

and

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Ok so you can get a mob phone now with satellite text messaging

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006313274764.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.5fa838dane32KT&mp=1

Have to sign up with Bullitt https://bullitt.com/en-gb/ Plans start at $10 a month( Possibly) with 30 text messages and free SOS to emergency services.

What do you guys think.
These sort of devices have been available in Oz for the best part of two decades. Having used a Spot4 and 5 in the past plus another I don't recall...I wouldn't bother. They are just as poor at positioning as your average phone and just not that handy...

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
These sort of devices have been available in Oz for the best part of two decades. Having used a Spot4 and 5 in the past plus another I don't recall...I wouldn't bother. They are just as poor at positioning as your average phone and just not that handy...
No they haven't been available for decades the new Iphone just came out with it a year ago. Can you make phone calls,take pictures. take videos and search the web with your with your spot. The Amor 23 use the normal 4G/5G when it looses that signal it automatically switches over to satellite How much is a spot subscription now I tossed my spot years ago the yearly subscriptions were just absurb.
Same with Garmin I'm pretty sure you can't make phone calls with a Garmin.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
How much is a spot subscription now I tossed my spot years ago the yearly subscriptions were just absurb.
$15.35 usd per month ($23au) for basic, I had the Gen3 which I used for a couple of years back around 2012-13, it was around $100 a year then.

I also tossed it in and sold the Spot.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
$15.35 usd per month ($23au) for basic, I had the Gen3 which I used for a couple of years back around 2012-13, it was around $100 a year then.

I also tossed it in and sold the Spot.
With the phones you have to sign up with Bullitt https://bullitt.com/en-gb/ Plans start at $10 a month AUD( Possibly) with 30 text messages and free SOS to emergency services.

Bet they bump up the prices for the plans if it takes off which I think it will.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
I have have had/ presently own 2 Armor phones. Man there tough I have put them through hell screens don't crack dropped them multiple tines in rivers while fishing( smashing into the rocks with the current) Mtbing and the crashes and shaking the S*** out of them. Best thing they have the best reception on any phone out there. I test it by where I go fishing and how far it will go up to the end of the lake before loosing reception. Had plenty of other people fishing with all types of phones and the Armor beats them all.

silentbutdeadly

No they haven't been available for decades the new Iphone just came out with it a year ago. Can you make phone calls,take pictures. take videos and search the web with your with your spot. The Amor 23 use the normal 4G/5G when it looses that signal it automatically switches over to satellite How much is a spot subscription now I tossed my spot years ago the yearly subscriptions were just absurb.
Same with Garmin I'm pretty sure you can't make phone calls with a Garmin.
So it combines the near inanity of the Spot tracker with a generic tough phone. Colour me underwhelmed. Most tough phones I've come across have been tough but have generally made for lousy phones given their cameras and processing power is often no better than one might see in a $150 Motorola like the one I'm currently twiddling on despite their often large pricetag.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
So it combines the near inanity of the Spot tracker with a generic tough phone. Colour me underwhelmed. Most tough phones I've come across have been tough but have generally made for lousy phones given their cameras and processing power is often no better than one might see in a $150 Motorola like the one I'm currently twiddling on despite their often large pricetag.
I and I would hazard a guess that quite a few MTbers and Hikers and anyone who goes out into the far flung bush put mobile reception above processing power and fantastic photos I/they want to get help when things go wrong. My Angi and smart phone loose reception quite often where I ride. I have been looking at getting a PLB for a while the only thing I don't like about them is you have to replace the battery every few years and they ain't cheap may as well buy a new one in some cases.

These new satelite smart phones might be the answer but I will wait and see besides Bullit doesn't cover Australia yet they say this year ?.

The iphone satelite phone has been out for a while now but they say it needs a clear view of the sky to work well hey most where I ride is under a tree canopy so that's out.

There will be problems with this new systemn I will wait and see.

silentbutdeadly

I and I would hazard a guess that quite a few MTbers and Hikers and anyone who goes out into the far flung bush put mobile reception above processing power and fantastic photos I/they want to get help when things go wrong. My Angi and smart phone loose reception quite often where I ride. I have been looking at getting a PLB for a while the only thing I don't like about them is you have to replace the battery every few years and they ain't cheap may as well buy a new one in some cases.

These new satelite smart phones might be the answer but I will wait and see besides Bullit doesn't cover Australia yet they say this year ?.

The iphone satelite phone has been out for a while now but they say it needs a clear view of the sky to work well hey most where I ride is under a tree canopy so that's out.

There will be problems with this new systemn I will wait and see.
Like I said...I've had to use PLB's as safety items at times for work over the last two decades. And I don't rate them at all.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Like I said...I've had to use PLB's as safety items at times for work over the last two decades. And I don't rate them at all.
Have you ever had to activate one?
As you point out not sure they would be suitable for general mtb as it's going to trigger a big response as it would be considered an emergency but I'm sure you're aware of this.
I have responded to a couple of activations during my time with marine rescue and were treated as life threatening.

silentbutdeadly

Have you ever had to activate one?
As you point out not sure they would be suitable for general mtb as it's going to trigger a big response as it would be considered an emergency but I'm sure you're aware of this.
I have responded to a couple of activations during my time with marine rescue and were treated as life threatening.
Fortunately, no. But the reality of the subscription model in a oh&s environment is that it's bloody hard not to activate a surrogate response because some numb nut colleague forgets the fucking thing is on or doesn't routinely trigger the OK response as part of a pre-arranged program. Which happened more frequently than was sensible for a productive work day. As a result, they were either consigned to the bottom drawer and given lip service or binned entirely for a proper expected time in process.