SantaCruz's Greasey nipples

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
After finally building up my solo I have tried a couple of times to grease the two bearings via the nipples under the frame, however one just refuses to allow the grease in. I have greased them by the exact method as shown in the video and one works fine and there is no issue, however the lower one refuses to let the grease in and it just pushes out the side of the grease gun. Anyone else have this issue/have any solutions?

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Mine used to both work fine but after a rear triangle swap the rear one is really hard to get grease into. I've disassembled the axles, collets and did not help. It seems to get a little out around the bearing but nowhere near as well as it used to be.

Nipple works fine with the axle removed.

Gripo

Eats Squid
not had an issue in my SC experience...

throughout the years though I've found that "some" grease nipples require you to hold the tip of the hose hard up against the nipple...

while you are in a maintenance mode I highly recommend that you have a look at SC website on how to disassemble/reassemble of the upper/lower pivots and give them a "new" coat of grease..

it's so easy that you probably won't bother with the grease gun again...

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
not had an issue in my SC experience...

throughout the years though I've found that "some" grease nipples require you to hold the tip of the hose hard up against the nipple...

while you are in a maintenance mode I highly recommend that you have a look at SC website on how to disassemble/reassemble of the upper/lower pivots and give them a "new" coat of grease..

it's so easy that you probably won't bother with the grease gun again...
I shall have a look, might give me something to do tomorrow after work. Thanks.

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
Try a decent grease gun, my SC gun got binned a long time ago...

I bought a sidcrome one, seems to work much better

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try a decent grease gun, my SC gun got binned a long time ago...

I bought a sidcrome one, seems to work much better

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
This. I still have my SC gun, mostly because it has the logo on it and looks cool, but it's actually kinda shit. Bought a good one, much better.

Also, try using something pointy to depress the bearing in the nipple a few times. They can get sticky with large particles of grit. Even spray it with a bit of inox or similar to help loosen it up.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
So i have tried a new grease gun, exercising the balls in the nipples, rebuilding and cleaning all the grease out of the pivots and then regreasing, and i can not for the life of me get the grease through that nipple. Someone please give me a solution.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Call neezy and ask him nicely if he could send you a new nipple. In the mean time, attach grease gun, tighten gun head with spanners, pump the gun hard. Pull the gun as hard as you can and the nipple should pop out. They are barbed, not threaded (at least on the tallboy). Insert new one with a mallet when it arrives and take it easy on the gun from here in. Worked for me.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
They are threaded, i unscrewed them earlier and cleaned them out. Im not sure if its actually the nipple or not, when i take the nipple off grease seems to pump through it ok. I was wondering last night if I am perhaps trying to pump more in than is necessary?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
They are threaded, i unscrewed them earlier and cleaned them out. Im not sure if its actually the nipple or not, when i take the nipple off grease seems to pump through it ok. I was wondering last night if I am perhaps trying to pump more in than is necessary?
Pretty sure the issue won't be the nipple. I've taken my pivot axle apart to try to sort the same issue. Nipple works fine when not assembled. It is something to do with the grease not getting though the gaps/seals once it gets through the nipple. Buggered if I could work it out.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty sure the issue won't be the nipple. I've taken my pivot axle apart to try to sort the same issue. Nipple works fine when not assembled. It is something to do with the grease not getting though the gaps/seals once it gets through the nipple. Buggered if I could work it out.
Sounds like you need to pull the pivot apart and clean it.

scblack

Leucocholic
Indeed, without pictures this thread is worthless.

I'm ringing the ACCC right now !!!
Haha, be sure you have the right one - is that the ACCC? or is it NSW Fair Trading? or is it ACT Fair Trading?

Bugger SC is an American company - who is their equivalent of ACCC? Judge Judy?

being able to make threats of legal action without any understanding of the applicability of the legislation or even which jurisdiction applies seems to be enough to be able to classify yourself as people's champion

besides you are missing the point

greasy nipples