Final Build Spec:
Frame - SC Solo XL
Rear shock - Fox Float
Front shock/fork - Revelation RCT3 140mm
Handlebars - Raceface Atlas cut to 755mm
Stem - Thomson X4
Headset - Chris King
Grips - ODI Ruffian
Saddle - The same old charge that my first ever bicycle came with and i cant seem to match.
Seatpost - Reverb Stealth 125mm
Front brake - Saint M820
Rear brake - Saint M820
Cranks - XT
Chain - SLX
Pedals - XT Trail
Rear derailleur - XT
Rear shifter - Saint M820
Cassette - SLX 11-34
Front hub - Hadley
Rear hub - Hadley BZZZZZZZZZ
Front rim - e.13 TRS+
Rear rim - e.13 TRS+
Spokes - DT Champ
Tyres - Ardent 2.4" f&r
Tubes - What are tubes?
Total weight - 12.8kg

Export-7977.jpg
Export-7987.jpg
Export-7988.jpg
Export-7989.jpg
Export-7991.jpg

Last edited:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Been waiting for someone to post one of these. Looking forward to seeing it come together and hear your thoughts.

Nice one.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Geezzz...... What a tease!! You could've shown more than just a bit of leg..... NICE bit of leg though :):)

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Geezzz...... What a tease!! You could've shown more than just a bit of leg.....
It was in the back of the car while i was stopped at the lights, was struggling to get the leg out ;)

Export-6538.jpg

I had a few setbacks today. First being I discovered I am going to have to settle for Fox 32's rather than the 34's I had planned, and second that I counteracted the weight lost with the carbon frame by covering it in that much helicopter tape that the rear triangle is verging on being filled in. I must state now that I will probably cry if I ever see a scratch on her.

In other news, nice shiny looking Chris King headset on the way as well.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Super nice frame you have to work with..! Looking forward to the complete build pics/specs and then a ride review - and 'total cost' (if that's cool) .. Did you consider buying a complete bike? Cheers...:thumb:

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I did think about a new bike, but i wasn't really a fan of Sram, I don't like the wheels on the cheaper models, and cant justify spending $11,000. I'm sort of planning on making it a dream build over a year or so, so I am not really in much of a rush to finish it.

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
I had a few setbacks today. First being I discovered I am going to have to settle for Fox 32's rather than the 34's I had planned, and second that I counteracted the weight lost with the carbon frame by covering it in that much helicopter tape that the rear triangle is verging on being filled in. I must state now that I will probably cry if I ever see a scratch on her.

In other news, nice shiny looking Chris King headset on the way as well.
Please excuse my ignorance, but why no 34's?

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Please excuse my ignorance, but why no 34's?
Unfortunately the shortest 34's come in is 160mm and the Solo is only built for 125/130mm. According to fox you can only lower them to 150mm (or maybe it was 140, can't remember.) I'm sure you could get an aftermarket 30mm spacer from somewhere, but with the run I've had with warranty issues I'd rather not risk being turned away because of something silly like that. The other problem being that if you lowered them by 30mm I'd expect you to start having issues the the performance, don't quote me on that though I'm sure someone a little more qualified would be able to confirm or deny that.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
That's true, and to be honest I cant produce a reason not to other than "i don't like it." That's when cost comes into play as well, in the end that costs me almost $600 more for just that extra bit of stiffness. I have a reign a the moment with fox 32's and I don't seem to have a problem with any flex, and I'm sure that OD2 doesn't ad that much stiffness to them.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
if you're going the 32mm route, a set of 2014 black stanchioned revelations would look shit hot with the orange (and cost less than fox 32's). ;)

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Everyone seems to keep saying this, but I'm yet to be convinced. I would have loved pikes, but unfortunately they don't come anywhere close to 130mm either. I'm open to persuasion but at the moment I like the idea of having Fox both ends.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The RCT3 Dual Position Air Pikes do adjust from 160mm to 130mm

Keep us posted on the build

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everyone seems to keep saying this, but I'm yet to be convinced. I would have loved pikes, but unfortunately they don't come anywhere close to 130mm either. I'm open to persuasion but at the moment I like the idea of having Fox both ends.
Pikes and revs come with the same damper and black coating for 2014. I'm running 32 talas's (120/140) at the moment and had dual air revelations (110/140) before that. Both are plenty stiff and I tend to push my bikes pretty hard (though I only weigh 80kg geared up).

IMO, you don't need 34/35mm forks on shorter travel bikes unless you're a real fat shit.

EDIT: while we're discussing it. The linear feel of rockshocks poo all over my kashima, FIT, all the bells and whistles talas's. I'll be getting revelation world cups with the new damper when I get the cash.

Last edited: