Santa Cruz Bullit or Banshee Wildcard

s.dogg

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

Currently in the market for a allmountain/freeride frame to be used over in whistler (bike park and a bit of the trails).
Most of the parts will be coming off my 2008 Norco Shore including Marz 66's with 1.5 steerer.
Thought i had decided on the Santa Cruz Bullit, but just noticed the Banshee Wildcard on torpedo for sale. Has anyone had any experience with both of these bikes that could give a bit of advise?

Bullit comes with Vanilla RC.
Wildcard with DHX5 Air.

or are the any other frames i should be looking at?
Must be a small size.

Cheers

0psi

Eats Squid
I'd go the Bullit mate. Wildcard is a slopestyle bike and I don't think it will have enough travel for what you want. Plus I don't think the geo is really going to work either but then again I haven't actually ridden a wildcard but personally I'd be looking for something with more travel.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I'm a bullit owner ... older model ... and I'd do the smaller, slower technical or smoother stuff I've seen of Whistler on it ... I also use it as a trail rig and light DH/FR (All mountain to me).

I think its weakness would be on super steep stuff ... given its HA of 67.5*.
Similarly the 7" rear is over kill for trail riding.

In saying all that if you have good skills and lots of ticker for any climbs, it can do it all. I love mine.

I have no experience with the Banshee soz.

Alternatives:
The transition bikes have always caught my eye for bike park
- The TR250 ... with adjustable travel ... maybe a pain to ride as a trail rig though :confused:
- The Bottlerocket ... is prolly what your looking for ... I always perceived them as heavy for trail riding.
- Last Herb

I haven't had any experience with the above ... however, would likely go the Last to fully enjoy the bits outside of the park and the smoother bits inside the park. Not sure what the difference is in the Last models ... the FR is prolly better inside the park, whilst the AM is better outside the park ... guessing

Andrei

Likes Dirt
Rune maybe??

Have you considered the Banshee Rune? Also on sale on Torpedo7. Probably a better choice if you wanna pedal some trails too. Have a read of the reviews.

raso

Likes Bikes
If you can only have one bike I'd say go with the bullit. I have an 03 bullit that I have just put a 2011 fox 36 fork on and its up for abit of everything. I also have 2 x rear shocks ( 1 x air , 1 x oil coil ) plus a DH and AM wheelset which helps.

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
Id highly recommend a banshee rune over a wildcard if your looking at doing trails and bike park. i have a rune (ultimate trail spec, lyric evolver isx6) and happily riding it all morning on the valley trails then a couple of park laps in the avo. raced it in crankworx, park races as well as heaps of xc/enduro style races and its still going strong. if you wear tight jeans and want to ride Aline all day then id say get a wildcard.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?205053-2010-banshee-rune

Last edited:

Ninja Cougar

Likes Bikes
My son has a very kewl small mango wildcard we took to Whistler last year (and will probably be there again this year?) Has 170mm Kowa forks that are probably similar to 66s. Did have Pikes and was nice and light for dirt jumps, but the bigger forks are definitely the go for the bike park. Being able to change the shock travel is a great idea.... but it is a light freeride/park bike, not an all mountain ride ... so if riding outside the bike park is important a rune might be better (I have a Nomad that would be awesome for that too). But I spose a Wildcard would be good too if setup with a nice light wheelset, triple chain ring etc.? I did notice Darren at Barspin Imports had a medium Wildcard frame ridiculously cheap - mild flood damage, so don't know if that's still available

demodv8

Likes Dirt
Bullit

Get the bullit I have one. I have totems and Elka shock and it does everything from dowwnhill to cross country, they are pretty cheap at the moment $1500, I think, best allround bike.

razzeldazzel

Likes Dirt
I've got a 2010 wildcard with RC4 and Fox 36's and it is a sweet bike - i take it dj's/freeride/downhill and it copes with everything fairly well. It isn't the lightest bike I've ridden, it's fairly solid but in my opinion is the best bike i've ridden. I had an 2009 wildcard before that with DHX 5.0 Air and that felt pretty sweet also with the air shock. You can have either 5 or 6.5 inches of rear travel on the wildcard - with the Air I had it with 5" and the Coil now i've got with 6.5". With the DHX 5 air it feels nice and plush with good pop, however if you are going to be doing much DH style trails then an RC4 at 6.5" rear travel feels a whole deal nicer. Depends how your going to ride it and where, but either bike you are looking at is sickkk