Sam Hill @ National Champs, Canberra

...jim

skanky media ho
Dont read too much into the SBS coverage / opening gate / 5 seconds.....according to the SBS coverage I was in 2 places at the sametime.
With only four cameras available we have to fudge it a little - imagine the whinging about a run that only included the start, triple treat, one other shot and the end - each run would be about 10 seconds! So we shoot qualification to enable us to cut longer race runs. Alas, this dose have its pitfalls!

But the only time we had a cameraman at the top was at the start of the finals.

Reece.

Likes Dirt
Do you think Sam would have broken the gate and waited 5 seconds if this would have affected his chances to get into the Aussie team?? :cool: I think not
My 2c worth

Mugger

Senir oMermber
Do you think Sam would have broken the gate and waited 5 seconds if this would have affected his chances to get into the Aussie team?? :cool: I think not
My 2c worth
Don't think it'd matter considering:

6.2.1 Automatic Nominations: Listed in order of priority and subject to UCI quotas the Selectors will nominate athletes to the team who achieve the following performances;
6.2.1.1 Elite Men
i. Top 10 result at 2008 World Championships
ii. Top 10 result in a 2009 World Cup
iii. Top 10 at a 2008 World Cup
iv. Top 15 UCI individual world ranking as of 3 August 2009
v. 2009 National Champion

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
With only four cameras available we have to fudge it a little - imagine the whinging about a run that only included the start, triple treat, one other shot and the end - each run would be about 10 seconds! So we shoot qualification to enable us to cut longer race runs. Alas, this dose have its pitfalls!

Thanks for your imput ...Jim. It's good to know how production teams work.
I remember seeing the crew doing the 1st Champs at stromlo, they had little lipstick cameras on poles shooting all over the hill. (possibly the same guy running around like mad.) And they never used it in the telecast. Such a shame.

no_3

Likes Bikes

yeah that makes much more sense than just showing 10 seconds of each rider.

thanks again to SBS

...jim

skanky media ho
Thanks for your imput ...Jim. It's good to know how production teams work.
I remember seeing the crew doing the 1st Champs at stromlo, they had little lipstick cameras on poles shooting all over the hill. (possibly the same guy running around like mad.) And they never used it in the telecast. Such a shame.
There were two crews on the hill at the 07 nats. Aside from the SBS crew, the guys in the hi-viz vests were shooting material that ended up in the World Cup ad that was floating around prior to that race last year - and that will no doubt see the light of day prior to the worlds.

noballz

Likes Dirt
The quota (for everyone) is 6 riders per category plus the reigning World Champ.
you mean every country can send 6 riders. all of a sudden my oz citizenship isnt looking that appealing :p.

i know this is going a bit off topic, but what is the entry fee that riders pay to take part?

skendo

Likes Bikes
Wow, with the points race so close in last years world cup do you really think that he wasn't trying his hardest. And why don't they have the world champs at a ski hill, like Thredbo. Or does it have somthing to do with CORC running the event and that the government has spent millions on Stromlo?
its a mind game, i doubt he really gave it his all at the wc round either

people compare their wc time to his nats and wc time and say sam hills no good on that track, maybe they slack off a little in training or something and he can get them while there napping, it seems sam also likes being the underdog a bit, hes no longer got the number 1 or the rainbows so people arnt out to get his scalp so theres less pressure on him

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, with the points race so close in last years world cup do you really think that he wasn't trying his hardest. And why don't they have the world champs at a ski hill, like Thredbo. Or does it have somthing to do with CORC running the event and that the government has spent millions on Stromlo?
Maybe because it will be covered in snow.

peanut

Likes Dirt
Many of the answers you seek have all been answered in quite a few threads, the search engine should be able to locate them for you... And some you have have actually answered yourself... i.e using a ski hill... in winter... for a bike race.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
you mean every country can send 6 riders.
6 per category. So, lets see...

XCO Elite M/F = 12, XCO U23 M/F = 12, XCO U19 M/F = 12
DHI Elite M/F = 12, DHI U19 M/F = 12
4X M/F = 12
OT Elite M 26" = 6, OT Elite M 20" = 6, OT U19 M 26" = 6, OT U19 M 20" = 6, OT F = 6

Adds up to 102 riders, plus any reigning World Champions a country might have.

... but what is the entry fee that riders pay to take part?
Well, the actual rider entry fee for World Champs is $0 and the riders are selected by the country's national federation (so you can't just turn up).

Having said that, I recall that for an XC rider to do the World Champs at Val di Sole last year, it cost about $7,000 plus she had to buy her own Australian jersey and niks.

Of course, even that pales into insignificance in terms of what it actually "costs" to take part - in terms of years of training, travel, equipment along the way etc. A cousin of mine has an Olympic Gold and Silver tucked away in his bedroom and his parents reckon they "cost" around half a mil each.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
And why don't they have the world champs at a ski hill, like Thredbo.
As peanut said, you answered that one yourself - its a ski hill - and in August/September in our part of the world they tend to be very white, and very hard to ride.

... does it have something to do with CORC running the event
It has everything to do with that. CORC are the only ones who bid for it in Australia. Decisions are made by those who show up.

... and that the government has spent millions on Stromlo?
Well, the ACT Government has spent a lot of $$ on Stromlo, but they spent 80% of it before CORC even decided to bid for the World Champs. So, its not just a facility for the World Cup and World Champs - its a facility for everyone. Since CORC got the World events, the ACT Government and CORC have spent a lot more at Stromlo, but the real cost is the infrastructure out there - electricity, buildings, roads, water etc.

Last edited:

Rent_a_crowd

Likes Dirt
The following is part of an article in The Canberra Times dated 29/01/2009 titled 'Nightfest Cut back in light of shortfalls':

"Mr Barr also admitted the Government would have to fork out a further $500,000 to prop up this year's Mountain Bike World Championships, which will be held over six days at Mt Stromlo in September.

The ACT Government has already provided $1million over three years to the event.

The event's organiser, Canberra Off-Road Cyclists, has struggled financially since its co-host, APIS Events, went into receivership in late 2007."

The whole article can be found on the Canberra Times website but this is the only part relevant to the World Champs.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
As peanut said, you answered that one yourself - its a ski hill - and in August/September in our part of the world they tend to be very white, and very hard to ride.
Rus, maybe you need to implement a new policy. Every one who whinges that Stromlo is too small should be made to carry 5 large rocks to the top. Hell even those who don't whinge should do it. It's the new price to ride. 5 large rocks per run, to the top before you are allowed to ride.

Working together we can make the bastard big!

no_3

Likes Bikes
Has'nt every country always been allowed to take 7 riders, plus reigning champ?

There was 8 spots last year for mens DH

Last edited:

noballz

Likes Dirt
Has'nt every country always been allowed to take 7 riders, plus reigning champ?

There was 8 spots last year for mens DH
i think you may be right. i was perusing the uci website and stumbled across this http://www.uci.ch/includes/asp/getTarget.asp?type=FILE&id=NDkxNzk. it seems to imply that there are

1. max of 7 riders per category plus current champ
2. the number depends on ranking of the nation
3. the host nation can send the maximum regardless of its rank
4. not all countries can participate

i also notice that oz doesnt appear in the list for womens elite dh. i assume that is just a typo o/w claire is going to be quite upset.

thanks for answering my questions Le Matelot. i have more but they will have to wait for another day, and sorry to everyone else for hijacking this thread.